Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 59, Miami 81 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember, no venting or bashing.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Before the board goes nuclear, let’s please remember that many of us chalked this up as a likely loss when the schedule was announced… and that was assuming we had a healthy Dariq Whitehead.

That said, we played poorly. Miami played excellent. Not sure how much more we can take from this one.

Saturday we’ll learn a lot about whether the real Duke is closer to what we saw Saturday or what we saw tonight.

Next play.

P.S. We saw a little of a Ryan and Derrick playing together in the second. Could be an interesting wrinkle, could be desperation. Worth a note.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Half step forward and two steps back.

Well, we lost, but I liked the effort.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Really, what about the effort did you like, the bigs letting a tiny Miami team grab over 40% of their misses, or the guards takes turns leading the turnover parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Really, what about the effort did you like, the bigs letting a tiny Miami team grab over 40% of their misses, or the guards turning leading the turnover parade.
    I will guess that chrishoke was hoping to lighten our gloom with deep, deep, deep sarcasm.

On the plus side, this might push our win in Cameron up to a Q1 win… 😂

But for real, not much one can do but shake it off and hope that a team with more rest and more prep will be better focused and better prepared. I doubt UVa will pressure the ball the way Miami did (aside from Clark), because that isn’t their system. But they will make life difficult in the paint of course.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

But for real, not much one can do but shake it off and hope that a team with more rest and more prep will be better focused and better prepared. I doubt UVa will pressure the ball the way Miami did (aside from Clark), because that isn’t their system. But they will make life difficult in the paint of course.
    I refused to be the person to post this… but I definitely thought it 😂
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I don’t know. UVA does often blitz ball screens, and attacking that was one of the many things we did poorly tonight. Roach did have a nice split early in the game (but missed the layup), but for the rest of the games the guards shrunk and couldn’t hit a wide open big under the basket. I’m certain we will see more of that Saturday and will have to be much much better to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Agree.

Miami came out with the idea that they would push the envelope physically, and then went an additional notch beyond that. The gameplan was to hope that we were physically and spiritually hungover from the Carolina game and that the refs would allow the physical play on their home floor.

We were not ready for it, but eventually began putting up a fight a bit into the first half. The story of the game was Roach on the floor. The Miami defenders were shoving, pushing, reaching on every drive. This led to our team, particularly Proctor, playing nervous, not wanting to lose the ball from the shove or reach of an overly physical Miami defender. The irony of course, is that we started to play too tight, and the looseness we needed was gone.

Omiar set illegal screen after illegal screen. There was a sequence on a dribble hand off where he literally spun 360 degrees into a screen and into a Duke player after a handoff. No call, of course. Grandy almost got a concussion from a Miami knee to the neck, it got so physical.

I was impressed that we stuck to our offense and noone started playing hero ball. Hopefully this gives us an idea of what to expect from Virginia on Saturday. This was 2017 South Carolina all over again. A tall task for a young team.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Agree.

Miami came out with the idea that they would push the envelope physically, and then went an additional notch beyond that. The gameplan was to hope that we were physically and spiritually hungover from the Carolina game and that the refs would allow the physical play on their home floor.

We were not ready for it, but eventually began putting up a fight a bit into the first half. The story of the game was Roach on the floor. The Miami defenders were shoving, pushing, reaching on every drive. This led to our team, particularly Proctor, playing nervous, not wanting to lose the ball from the shove or reach of an overly physical Miami defender. The irony of course, is that we started to play too tight, and the looseness we needed was gone.

Omiar set illegal screen after illegal screen. There was a sequence on a dribble hand off where he literally spun 360 degrees into a screen and into a Duke player after a handoff. No call, of course. Grandy almost got a concussion from a Miami knee to the neck, it got so physical.

I was impressed that we stuck to our offense and noone started playing hero ball. Hopefully this gives us an idea of what to expect from Virginia on Saturday. This was 2017 South Carolina all over again. A tall task for a young team.
    So you're not seriously blaming the referees for this loss are you? This board is amazing sometimes with that. The refs, IMO, had NOTHING to do with this loss. Miami played great basketball from the opening tip, at both ends of the floor, and we were terrible from the opening tip, at both ends of the floor. Period. Can't stand the whining about the refs after every single fricking loss. It should be beneath this board, but it obviously isn't.

trying to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Agree.

Agree with this. I was in the building and while it wasn't Cameron, the place was rocking. They were hungry.

It appeared to me that our guys were putting forth a lot of effort and didn't quite understand why things weren't working as they expected.

I've been thinking about how narrow a window there is to perform at an elite athletic level. The littlest things can throw you off-especially if you're inexperienced. As K would say, we were 'knocked back' in the first few minutes of the game and never able to get things going.

I felt sorry for our guys last night. I really felt sorry for Scheyer.

After watching this game I'm looking forward to doing something more enjoyable tomorrow, like having a colonoscopy.

Not fun to watch the late game dunk and 3s. Really must have been very important to Larranaga
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not fun to watch the late game dunk and 3s. Really must have been very important to Larranaga
    Eh. Nothing against Larranaga. I mean he didn’t tell us to suck on D and who wouldn’t elevate for a nasty slam in a sellout game. And that was a nasty slam! I harbor no resentment towards Miami. Nothing dirty there. And hey, kudos to them. And at about 3/4 minutes they slowed up

It’s not like Miami cheated at basketball for 20 years and has books written about it…. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Half step forward and FIVE steps back.
    FIFY
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Just a horrible effort by our guys. Scheyer needs to borrow from K and have all their stuff taken out of the lockers and lock them out of the locker room before the plane lands at RDU. Make them earn it back.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Whatever.

We were embarrassed tonight. Our guards had 13 turnovers and it looked like more. They were totally unable to handle the swarming aggressive defense and unable to feed the post well. Miami defended the three well so we had great difficulty scoring while Miami was hitting everything. I thought flip played well. until the end when he tried to drive against them and picked up a couple of turnovers. Lively also had a good game. The team was slow to the ball and not tough enough near the basket. Young helped some on offense by running the floor but was lost on defense against the quicker Miami players. Scheyer tried different lineups, zone defense even applying pressure but nothing he tried closed the gap appreciably. Just an awful beatdown.

I thought Flip played soft. He had numerous offensive rebounds in the first half, and missed one layup after another. He was 3 for 8 shooting twos, and I think most if not all were within a couple feet.