Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 2/6-2/12

Back after a one week hiatus! Here's the rundown for a fun week ahead with lots of matchups near the top of the standings. By the way, you will also note that Pomeroy ranks the ACC, well, not very highly, with no one in the top 15 and just two in the top 30.

Monday
    [37]Miami (9-4) (-2) hosts [30]Duke (8-4) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
    [65]Wake Forest (7-6) (+1) hosts [36]North Carolina (7-5) (7:00, ESPN)
    [61]Pittsburgh (9-3) (-19) hosts [294]Louisville (1-11) (7:00, ACCN)
    [16]Virginia (9-3) (-7) hosts [47]NC State (9-4) (9:00, ACCN)

Wednesday
    [170]Florida State (6-7) (+3) hosts [85]Syracuse (7-6) (7:00, ESPNU)
    [208]Georgia Tech (1-12) (-2) hosts [172]Notre Dame (2-10) (7:00, ACCNX)
    [48]Virginia Tech (4-8) (-13) hosts [178]Boston College (5-8) (7:00, ACCN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [170]Florida State (6-7) (+5) hosts [61]Pittsburgh (9-3) (12:00, ESPNU/2)
    [178]Boston College (5-8) (+7) hosts [47]NC State (9-4) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [36]North Carolina (7-5) (-7) hosts [68]Clemson (10-3) (2:00, ESPN2)
    [172]Notre Dame (2-10) (+6) hosts [48]Virginia Tech (4-8) (2:00, ACCNX)
    [16]Virginia (9-3) (-5) hosts [30]Duke (8-4) (4:00, ESPN)
    [65]Wake Forest (7-6) (-13) hosts [208]Georgia Tech (1-12) (5:00, ACCN)
    [37]Miami (9-4) (-21) hosts [294]Louisville (1-11) (7:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    is dark (enjoy the Super Bowl!)

ACC Non-Conference: 109-52
    ACC v. Power 6: 23-32

Conference-Only Efficiency Ratings
    Virginia: +10.2
    Miami: +10.0
    Clemson: +8.0
    North Carolina: +7.6
    Duke: +6.4
    NC State: +6.0
    Pittsburgh: +4.6
    Wake Forest: +4.5
    Syracuse: +2.3
    Virginia Tech: -1.4
    Florida State: -4.9
    Boston College: -7.3
    Notre Dame: -9.1
    Louisville: -18.3
    Georgia Tech: -20.0
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Schedule analysis

So, with so many teams bunched at the top of the ACC (6 teams with 3 or 4 losses), who is gonna win?

It might seem crazy, but your best bet might be Pitt.

The Panthers, with just 3 losses, have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. Home games with bottom feeders Louisville, BC, and Ga Tech. A home game with middle of the pack Syracuse. And their road games are at least somewhat manageable with FSU, VT, ND, and Miami. Pitt is gonna be favored in all those games except the road contests at VT and Miami. There's a really good chance the Panthers end the regular season with just 5 losses.

If not Pitt, it will probably be Virginia. The Cavs have some tough games left, but almost all of them are at home. Virginia has NCSt, Duke, ND, Clem, and Lou at home. That's 3 games against upper tier clubs... but having those at home is a real boost. Their road games are Lou, BC, and Carolina. There's probably 2 losses left in that group, which would also put UVA on 5 losses.

Since the ACC schedule was first announced, I have pegged Clemson as a surprise team due to their easy schedule. But their final stretch has several games they are likely to lose. The home slate is pretty easy with FSU, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. But the road games... ugh. UNC, NC St, Virginia, and Louisville. With that schedule, and the way they have played lately, I think Clemson will finish with at least 6 losses.

The 4 losses teams each face a tough closing stretch. If I had to pick an easiest route, it probably belongs to Miami as most of their games are at home. They play Duke in Miami tonight and also have home games with Lou, Wake, FSU (rival), and Pitt. The road games are UNC and Va Tech. I'm betting Miami gets to the finish line with 2 or 3 more losses, putting the Canes on 6 or 7 total losses in ACC play.

Duke has a tough closing, stretch, no question about it. But, so do the other current 4-loss teams. Duke has a pair of murderous road games this week at Miami and Virginia. The Blue Devils also have road tilts at Syracuse and UNC. The home slate, where Duke is undefeated, is ND, Lou, VT (revenge game), and NC St (another revenge game). If I am being honest and objective, it feels like there are still 3 losses left for Duke which would put Duke on 7 losses in the ACC season.

Among the teams that already have 4 losses, NC State probably has the toughest slate. Whew! They've got home games with UNC, Wake, and Clemson... not a gimme game there. The road contests are Virginia, BC, Syracuse, and Duke. Ouch! It is really tough to see NC State not picking up at least 3 more losses. I think NC State ends the season with 7 ACC losses.

And what about the 5-loss team? Well, Carolina's closing schedule is among the toughest in the ACC. Road games at rivals Wake and NCSt as well as ND and FSU. Their home contests are some of the league's best teams with Clemson, Miami, Virginia, and Duke visiting. Maybe Hubert pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but that slate is a really tough one. I would expect UNC to lose at least 3 of those remaining games so UNC would finish with 8 ACC losses.

That's my back of the matchbook analysis... what do the rest of you think?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, with so many teams bunched at the top of the ACC (6 teams with 3 or 4 losses), who is gonna win?

The Panthers, with just 3 losses, have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. Home games with bottom feeders Louisville, BC, and Ga Tech. A home game with middle of the pack Syracuse. And their road games are at least somewhat manageable with FSU, VT, ND, and Miami. Pitt is gonna be favored in all those games except the road contests at VT and Miami. There's a really good chance the Panthers end the regular season with just 5 losses.

If not Pitt, it will probably be Virginia. The Cavs have some tough games left, but almost all of them are at home. Virginia has NCSt, Duke, ND, Clem, and Lou at home. That's 3 games against upper tier clubs... but having those at home is a real boost. Their road games are Lou, BC, and Carolina. There's probably 2 losses left in that group, which would also put UVA on 5 losses.

Since the ACC schedule was first announced, I have pegged Clemson as a surprise team due to their easy schedule. But their final stretch has several games they are likely to lose. The home slate is pretty easy with FSU, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. But the road games... ugh. UNC, NC St, Virginia, and Louisville. With that schedule, and the way they have played lately, I think Clemson will finish with at least 6 losses.

The 4 losses teams each face a tough closing stretch. If I had to pick an easiest route, it probably belongs to Miami as most of their games are at home. They play Duke in Miami tonight and also have home games with Lou, Wake, FSU (rival), and Pitt. The road games are UNC and Va Tech. I'm betting Miami gets to the finish line with 2 or 3 more losses, putting the Canes on 6 or 7 total losses in ACC play.

Duke has a tough closing, stretch, no question about it. But, so do the other current 4-loss teams. Duke has a pair of murderous road games this week at Miami and Virginia. The Blue Devils also have road tilts at Syracuse and UNC. The home slate, where Duke is undefeated, is ND, Lou, VT (revenge game), and NC St (another revenge game). If I am being honest and objective, it feels like there are still 3 losses left for Duke which would put Duke on 7 losses in the ACC season.

Among the teams that already have 4 losses, NC State probably has the toughest slate. Whew! They've got home games with UNC, Wake, and Clemson... not a gimme game there. The road contests are Virginia, BC, Syracuse, and Duke. Ouch! It is really tough to see NC State not picking up at least 3 more losses. I think NC State ends the season with 7 ACC losses.

And what about the 5-loss team? Well, Carolina's closing schedule is among the toughest in the ACC. Road games at rivals Wake and NCSt as well as ND and FSU. Their home contests are some of the league's best teams with Clemson, Miami, Virginia, and Duke visiting. Maybe Hubert pulls a rabbit out of a hat, but that slate is a really tough one. I would expect UNC to lose at least 3 of those remaining games so UNC would finish with 8 ACC losses.

I think the best bets are UVa and probably then Clemson. I think UVa is simply much better than Pitt (who has already lost to FSU and has gone a somewhat lucky 6-2 in one-possession games), and UVa's schedule isn't much tougher than Pitt's. I think Clemson is better than Pitt as well (despite their recent dip in play) and they too have a fairly friendly remaining schedule. And one of the most challenging remaining games for both UVa and Clemson (Clemson at UVa) ensures that one of them will get a key conference win down the stretch.

Torvik has UVa finishing 15-5, Pitt tying Clemson and Miami at 14.6. Duke is projected at 13-7.

Agree with most of the above, but I have the Cheats finishing at 7-13. Just not enough fouls called on their opposition.

ACC in the Week 14 AP Poll

8. UVa
    19. Miami, FL
    22. North Carolina State
    27. Duke
    29. Clemson
    30. Pittsburgh

Duke might get within the top 10-15 if they beat Miami and UVA on the road. I thought Duke would get in the top 25 b/c Roach's recent success.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    As an odd thought, who would have predicted Carolina hosting Clemson would have an impact on the title race... for the visiting team.

This is why I only follow games via the radio or internet forums like Pack Pride. I won't see us lose any games.

I'd be happy with 3 losses, our chances for 1 or 2 losses go up considerably if we can get by Uva.

That's my back of the matchbook analysis... what do the rest of youthink?
    You have a darn big pack of matches! 😄

Here is a CRAZY stat, and certain to jinx us against Virginia tonight...NC State's current run of winning 8 out of 9 ACC games is our best 9 game run since 1973-74.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Here is a CRAZY stat, and certain to jinx us against Virginia tonight...NC State's current run of winning 8 out of 9 ACC games is our best 9 game run since 1973-74.
    Huge game tonight in Charlottesville. Looking to see if NCSU is up to the challenge. Tough road game.

Heels look good early at Wake.

19-9 Wake at the under 12.

Hubert is a good coach. UNC-CH has already shot more free throws tonight (4) than they did all game at Duke (3). Great coaching and adjustments by him. We won’t have to hear him belly ache after the game about free throw attempts hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Hubert is a good coach. UNC-CH has already shot more free throws tonight (4) than they did all game at Duke (3). Great coaching and adjustments by him. We won’t have to hear him belly ache after the game about free throw attempts hopefully.
    Let’s hope you have not jinxed it!

I mean, I could stand to listen to him complain about free throw differentials a little more…

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Let’s hope you have not jinxed it!
    All Deacs so far. 34-17 Wake at the under 8.

Wake gonna drop 100 on the Heels tonight?

You are apparently a big fan of offending the jinx gods I guess.

And no, Wake isn’t going for 100 tonight.

I will say this about DBR and UNC.

We have our fair share of problems this year. That isn’t debatable.

But thank goodness we don’t have Caleb Love on our team. Cus he would single-handedly break DBR.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You are apparently a big fan of offending the jinx gods I guess.

And no, Wake isn’t going for 100 tonight.
    LOL. 47-25 Deacs at the half.

Heels look good.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I think the only thing that could come close to a palette cleanser after last night is some good old fashioned schadenfreude…

I think there’s a better chance we see Skip Prosser reincarnated running buck naked down the sideline at the Joel tonight in Winston-Salem than we have of seeing the Heels win this basketball game.