Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Vegas has Miami 3 1/2 points fav……
    That sounds right to me. If we can steal a win, it would’ve huge.

This one tomorrow feels like the more winnable game this week. If we pull this off, I think defense will win it. They’re very efficient especially inside the arc, so Lively has a chance to loom large again. On offense, getting second chance points may be key, as well as pounding it inside. While they’re not a good defensive team, I’m worried about tired legs and being able to shoot well. A good rebounding edge should keep us in the game.

In postgame interviews after Saturday's game both Scheyer and Roach were asked about the quick turnaround and they both mentioned that they went through a similar experience two weeks ago when they played Miami and then @VT two days later. So they feel prepared. The starters did play a lot of minutes but they're not going to use the schedule as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    This one tomorrow feels like the more winnable game this week. If we pull this off, I think defense will win it. They’re very efficient especially inside the arc, so Lively has a chance to loom large again. On offense, getting second chance points may be key, as well as pounding it inside. While they’re not a good defensive team, I’m worried about tired legs and being able to shoot well. A good rebounding edge should keep us in the game.
    In addition to the new-found *fast* transition offense. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    If we decide to be a fast break offense with Proctor running the point like Saturday, I think we see Whitehead in a new role, as the three point option on the break, or the slasher to receive the pass from the PG on the break. Jeremey, didn't run the break, but Proctor does. New mindset. Turn the page. Coach S promised the break. Coach Carawell delivered the gameplan. Go Duke. Hope springs eternal. It's 2015 vibes.
    Would love to see Whitehead slashing more and hoisting threes a bit less

The line has increased to Duke +4.

This is going to be one tough game. But with Lively II.0 playing like a man possessed, Duke can win.

Let’s Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    If we decide to be a fast break offense with Proctor running the point like Saturday, I think we see Whitehead in a new role, as the three point option on the break, or the slasher to receive the pass from the PG on the break. Jeremey, didn't run the break, but Proctor does. New mindset. Turn the page. Coach S promised the break. Coach Carawell delivered the gameplan. Go Duke. Hope springs eternal. It's 2015 vibes.
    part of the reason Duke was able to run the break vs uNC was specific to the way they use their guards to rebound and not get back. I don't know if that's true for Miami. Regardless, Duke is much better on the break than in the half court offense. Although Proctor had one atrocious pass on a break vs Carolina, in general his floor game is much improved and letting him pick who attacks the basket on the break is probably a good idea. Also, Jeremy seems to be much better going all the way to the rim on the break as opposed to the half-court, where the pull up jumper seems to be a much better option for him. Duke hasn't really used the same commitment to the break when Dariq was active as it did vs Chappa Heeya, and Dariq has flubbed a good f.b. option or two, but he may be better going to the rim on the break too, rather than in set offense, where the 3ball is his strength. It's not really news that Duke should want to get out and run, but it hasn't done so all that prolifically this year, until last Saturday. I hope the coaches come up with a plan that allows Duke to get out and run vs. Miami!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    part of the reason Duke was able to run the break vs uNC was specific to the way they use their guards to rebound and not get back. I don't know if that's true for Miami. Regardless, Duke is much better on the break than in the half court offense. Although Proctor had one atrocious pass on a break vs Carolina, in general his floor game is much improved and letting him pick who attacks the basket on the break is probably a good idea. Also, Jeremy seems to be much better going all the way to the rim on the break as opposed to the half-court, where the pull up jumper seems to be a much better option for him. Duke hasn't really used the same commitment to the break when Dariq was active as it did vs Chappa Heeya, and Dariq has flubbed a good f.b. option or two, but he may be better going to the rim on the break too, rather than in set offense, where the 3ball is his strength. It's not really news that Duke should want to get out and run, but it hasn't done so all that prolifically this year, until last Saturday. I hope the coaches come up with a plan that allows Duke to get out and run vs. Miami!!!
    Playing Mitchell at the 3 and with Lively in at the same time really hampers our offense in my opinion. We don't have a whole lot of options at this point and maybe our identity is more defense focused the rest of the way.

I don't have any stats to back it up but it seems to me that Duke has struggled with the Saturday - Monday schedule and following up an emotional physical game with against Miami who is hungry to avenge their loss from earlier, I don't see how Duke wins this game. It would be HUGE if they did, but I do not expect it. As such I won't place too much expectation on this game as any sort of statement on the team. Its a bad spot, I just don't want any injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I don't have any stats to back it up but it seems to me that Duke has struggled with the Saturday - Monday schedule and following up an emotional physical game with against Miami who is hungry to avenge their loss from earlier, I don't see how Duke wins this game. It would be HUGE if they did, but I do not expect it. As such I won't place too much expectation on this game as any sort of statement on the team. Its a bad spot, I just don't want any injuries.
    So far since ACC play began:
    BC (Sat) .. Iowa (Tue) W
    Maryland Easter Shore (Sat)...Wake (Tue) L
    Miami (Sat)..VT (Mon) L
    GT (Sat)...Wake (Tue) W

So if I'm looking at the Duke website correctly. One loss on a Monday (VT) and 1 loss (Wake)on Tuesday.

My guess is Duke will be ranked again when the rankings come out today. Duke could end up unranked again next week or even possibly in the top 10 again.

This does feel like a scheduled loss, especially for a young team, but who knows? I am guessing these kids are feeling really good about their recent play and improvement and suddenly we are back in the hunt for best regular season conference record.

The rotation solidification has been a step in the right direction. We’ve got the frosh plus Roach and then the grad transfers off the bench. While it has only been a few games, it is starting to feel like Blakes has lost his rotation spot, and that will only be more apparent when Dariq returns. We are back to the classic Duke 7, but I do think it will be 8.

I want to see us come out fighting the way we did against the Heels and if Miami is going to beat us, I want them to have to play really well to do so. The road losses to Clemson and VTech were battles, and we are playing much better now than we were then, with our roles being defined. I am excited to see how we come out and perform.

I think if Duke can play defense like they have the past 3 games, they have a decent chance of stealing a win. Miami seems to play defense by appointment which could help the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    So far since ACC play began:
    BC (Sat) .. Iowa (Tue) W
    Maryland Easter Shore (Sat)...Wake (Tue) L
    Miami (Sat)..VT (Mon) L
    GT (Sat)...Wake (Tue) W

So if I'm looking at the Duke website correctly. One loss on a Monday (VT) and 1 loss (Wake)on Tuesday.
    Sat-Tues is normal for the ACC. The combination that is tough is Th/Sat and Sat/Mon. I don't have time to do the research, but how often does UNC play on Monday after Duke/UNC? We've had it 2 years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Sat-Tues is normal for the ACC. The combination that is tough is Th/Sat and Sat/Mon. I don't have time to do the research, but how often does UNC play on Monday after Duke/UNC? We've had it 2 years in a row.
    And what compounds it is the travel. People compare it to the NCAA Tournament, but those games are at the same place, which simplifies things a lot. And it would be one thing if it was a road game within driving distance, but this is a decent length flight. The good news is that Miami also had to travel back from Clemson, so had a similar travel burden.

Of course, the ACC Tournament has games on consecutive days, ideally three or more in a row if you make a deep run...

We will have a similar situation in a few weeks when we have a game at Syracuse at 6 pm on Saturday night then home vs. Louisville Monday at 7. Given the quirkiness of Syracuse I prefer having them first than second, and Louisville should hopefully be easy, but getting home from Syracuse in the middle of the night Saturday/Sunday then playing again on Monday night is also tough.

The ACC started the Saturday/Monday thing back in 2013-14, when Syracuse, Pitt, and Notre Dame joined the conference. Since then, Duke has played 23 Saturday/Monday couplets. Our record in the Monday games has been 15-8 (65.2%). Our overall conference record in that time period was 125-53 (70.2%). Of those Monday-after-Saturday games, 9 were road games and Duke's record was 5-4 (55.6%). Our overall road record in the period was 56-40 (58.3%). So Duke has performed very slightly worse in these games, but only slightly.

Two of the games were after playing UNC, and Duke split those games. I'd also note that Duke has lost 3 of its last 4 Monday-after-Saturday games, but in just a four game sample that probably doesn't mean very much.

Of the eight losses, six were one possession games (two losses by 1 point; three losses by 2 points; one loss by 3 points). The remaining two losses were by 4 points and 11 points (back in 2016).

The winning percentages are close enough that with the low sample size and all but one of the games being basically 50/50 games, I'd say Duke has not particularly struggled in Monday-after Saturday contests. I'd also note that from a logical standpoint, when the other team also played on Saturday, I don't see any reason why Duke would be at a bigger disadvantage than its opponents.

Beating Miami on the road will be tough, but Duke is growing up fast. I want the Lively we saw Sat. again tonight. Same with Roach. Our roles are finally being defined and hopefully with Dariq maybe coming back, I like our chances. It won’t be easy against the Canes. We will have to try to defend their three pt. shooters in order to keep it close. It would be a BIG win if we can get it! Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Beating Miami on the road will be tough, but Duke is growing up fast. I want the Lively we saw Sat. again tonight. Same with Roach. Our roles are finally being defined and hopefully with Dariq maybe coming back, I like our chances. It won’t be easy against the Canes. We will have to try to defend their three pt. shooters in order to keep it close. It would be a BIG win if we can get it! Go Duke!
    Defining roles is great -- making a few short "pull up jumpers" will make it greater.

I’m not really worried about the Saturday/ Monday thing. They’re young; they can handle it. I do worry about the emotional letdown after the last game - I’d be worried about that no matter when the next game was scheduled. Will be important to hang in early - if we get behind it could be tough to maintain emotional intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I’m not really worried about the Saturday/ Monday thing. They’re young; they can handle it. I do worry about the emotional letdown after the last game - I’d be worried about that no matter when the next game was scheduled. Will be important to hang in early - if we get behind it could be tough to maintain emotional intensity.
    Especially with a Miami that wants payback and that hasn't lost at home.

Whatever a post-marquee "trap game" is called, this is it.

I am expecting a loss, but I want to see the following:

1) can Lively stay on the floor for 25+ minutes?

2) can Roach/Proctor continue their very solid perimeter defense against one of the more dynamic backcourts in the ACC?

3) can Flip have an efficient game after an inefficient UNC game?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club