Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Especially with a Miami that wants payback and that hasn't lost at home.

Whatever a post-marquee "trap game" is called, this is it.

I am expecting a loss, but I want to see the following:

1) can Lively stay on the floor for 25+ minutes?

2) can Roach/Proctor continue their very solid perimeter defense against one of the more dynamic backcourts in the ACC?

3) can Flip have an efficient game after an inefficient UNC game?
    I'd say the only reason this doesn't qualify as a trap game is that Miami is ranked and legit good, especially at home. It would not be a surprise or unexpected for them to win.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I'd say the only reason this doesn't qualify as a trap game is that Miami is ranked and legit good, especially at home. It would not be a surprise or unexpected for them to win.
    Well considering they’re a favorite….

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. Miami is a much more well-respected opponent than the chuckleheads we played Saturday night.

Whitehead has been ruled out for this game. Grrrr.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not overly surprising. And, honestly, I'd not be opposed to him missing the next two games. These games are really important, and we seem to be finding a rhythm with the current lineup. So I'm not sure bringing back Whitehead in this situation is the right time.

Hopefully he's back starting with at least the Notre Dame game though. And if he does make it back for UVa, hopefully his return doesn't negatively affect the team's rhythm.

Tonight is a battle between ranked teams according to the coaches. The Coaches Poll has Miami at #20 and Duke at #24.

(The AP ranks Miami at #19 and Duke just out. (#27))

Once he didn't play against Carolina, it seemed a foregone conclusion that he'd miss Miami given the rapid turnaround. If all looks good in practice post-Miami, my guess is we see him at UVa. If things are still feeling stiff, they'll likely wait a tad longer out of an abundance of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Once he didn't play against Carolina, it seemed a foregone conclusion that he'd miss Miami given the rapid turnaround. If all looks good in practice post-Miami, my guess is we see him at UVa. If things are still feeling stiff, they'll likely wait a tad longer out of an abundance of caution.
    I agree with CDU. Being that Virginia is such a big game I think it'd be more prudent to work him back in vs Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Tonight is a battle between ranked teams according to the coaches. The Coaches Poll has Miami at #20 and Duke at #24.

Those darn journalism grads from the Cheating University.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I agree with CDU. Being that Virginia is such a big game I think it'd be more prudent to work him back in vs Notre Dame.
    My [admittedly inexperienced, having never coached college basketball] guess is that Scheyer, his assistants and the team will eagerly welcome Dariq back to the lineup as soon as the medical staff believes he's ready to go, and would love to have him on the floor in such a big game as the road tilt at UVa. It just doesn't seem prudent to me to leave such a gifted athlete on the bench if he's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    My [admittedly inexperienced, having never coached college basketball] guess is that Scheyer, his assistants and the team will eagerly welcome Dariq back to the lineup as soon as the medical staff believes he's ready to go, and would love to have him on the floor in such a big game as the road tilt at UVa. It just doesn't seem prudent to me to leave such a gifted athlete on the bench if he's available.
    This has been discussed pretty heavily in this thread and another so I won't repeat myself. And it may be more clear based on how things go tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    That sounds right to me. If we can steal a win, it would’ve huge.
    huged win've been, i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    This one tomorrow feels like the more winnable game this week. If we pull this off, I think defense will win it. They’re very efficient especially inside the arc, so Lively has a chance to loom large again. On offense, getting second chance points may be key, as well as pounding it inside. While they’re not a good defensive team, I’m worried about tired legs and being able to shoot well. A good rebounding edge should keep us in the game.
    Keep pounding. it. in. the. paint!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Would love to see Whitehead slashing more and hoisting threes a bit less
    as pointed out, we won't see Dariq in this game, but based on what we have seen this year, and moreso just prior to re-injuring himself, I would love to see Dariq hoist up more 3s and slashing less. I've not seen more than a handful of times that Dariq slashed to the rim and enjoyed the result. I hope he gets back to the player he was reputed to be in HS, but we haven't seen that yet.

I'm gonna state this again for the emphasis...

I think the fact that the ACC administration scheduled Duke in Coral Gables on a Monday night after playing Carolina on Saturday night is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I'm gonna state this again for the emphasis...

I think the fact that the ACC administration scheduled Duke in Coral Gables on a Monday night after playing Carolina on Saturday night is absolutely ridiculous.
    Yes, it stinks. But it happens. For comparison, UNC plays home vs. UVA on Saturday February 25 (I know it is not the rivalry but it is still a huge game) at either 6 or 8 pm and then is at FSU that Monday at 7 pm. So it is basically the same thing - going into the season no one thought FSU would be this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yes, it stinks. But it happens. For comparison, UNC plays home vs. UVA on Saturday February 25 (I know it is not the rivalry but it is still a huge game) at either 6 or 8 pm and then is at FSU that Monday at 7 pm. So it is basically the same thing - going into the season no one thought FSU would be this bad.
    Yea, I don't want to come off as whiny. And I understand you just have to step up and play.

But the Duke/Carolina game always carries more emotion than any other conference game during the season. Really no reason for either team to turn around and play on Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'd rather it have been FSU and then Virginia, but the ACC folks didn't ask for my opinion.

GoDuke!

We need that trainer of the Kansas City Chiefs. She got Patrick Mahomes ready last Sunday and he will be playing in the Super Bowl. Mahomes said its a head game to get over the pain.

Dariq I hope will play Saturday. I hope Scheyer will play Grandison more tonight. He needs to shoot more and get open in the corner like Leaky Black did against Duke.

Yesterday's Wall Street Journal Saturday/Sunday edition.
    "A Woman Who Rescued Patrick Mahomes's Season"
    Chiefs assistant athletic trainer Julie Frymer

Duke medical staff should consult with her.
    Last edited by heyman25; 02-06-2023 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Those darn journalism grads from the Cheating University.

GoDuke!
    It's interesting to note that last week, UNCheat had more votes in either poll than Duke, though neither was ranked. This week, the Heels got zero votes. Nada. Sure, they lost both their games last week. But could we be seeing journalistic objectivity in the state of North Carolina????... Naaaaw, this is a fluke.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Two tough road games for the Devils this week. From a season long perspective, I will be extremely happy if we finish 1-1. Overjoyed if we win both. Sad if we lose both, but I have to admit that's a distinct possibility...

If Lively has really turned a corner and can be a consistent defensive presence, that could swing things. And I hope Duke shoots better than Saturday. But they once again have to control the boards, play perimeter D (particularly if Lively is the force down low) and hit the freebies. I think we do have to hope that Wong doesn't go off - it was fortunate that he was under the weather last game. But Coral Gables is no Conte Forum, I believe Duke has a losing record (or close to it) there in the Larranaga era. I do hope Duke got off its high from Saturday's win quickly.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Rehab miracle worker