Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke's Best Comeback Win Ever?

One's I'd nominate
    -the 1995 Capel shot game (big asterisk here, since we didn't win, but the sequence that even got to the point where we had a chance to tie was crazy)
    -the miracle minute (53.9 seconds I think) at Maryland
    -the final four comeback against Maryland
    -the 2012 comeback at home against State, which I think was K's largest comeback from a halftime deficit at the time
    -the 2019 game at Louisville
    -the Tre Jones/Wendell Moore game at UNC

Anything before the mid 90's I either don't remember or am much less knowledgeable about, so I'm eager to here more nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    One's I'd nominate
    -the 1995 Capel shot game (big asterisk here, since we didn't win, but the sequence that even got to the point where we had a chance to tie was crazy)
    -the 2012 comeback at home against State, which I think was K's largest comeback from a halftime deficit at the time

Anything before the mid 90's I either don't remember or am much less knowledgeable about, so I'm eager to here more nominations.
    Austin Rivers game in Chapel Hill has to be up there, too.

One's I'd nominate

This is a good "off season" thread, but hey, I'll play anyways.

-1950 Dixie Classic vs. Tulane (came back from 29 points down at half)
    -The Rivers shot at UNC. Don't forget we were down 10 with 2 min to play.
    -Duke @Clemson in '92. Down 19 with 14 min to play, won by 1.
    -v UNC '98. 17 point comeback with 12 to play. Elton Brand over Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter. Coach K's 500th win.
    -Duke v UNC 2015. Down by 10 with about 4 min left. Forced OT and then won by 2.

2011 16pt half time deficit comeback against the Cheats.

One's I'd nominate

Miracle Minute for me. I was tuned into the radio for it and convinced it was some sort of fever dream. Was absolutely stole that game.

No way we win against MD in the Final Four if we hadn't already planted that seed by stealing the game at Cole Field House.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    Austin Rivers game in Chapel Hill has to be up there, too.
    My goodness, how did I leave that one out?

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    2011 16pt half time deficit comeback against the Cheats.
    Wow, I hadn't remembered the halftime deficit being that much. I watched highlights of that game the other day.

The Ingram game in Chapel Hill was unforgettable too. Duke essentially played 5 guys without a bench after Matt Jones went down.

Miracle Minute will always be my favorite.

03 ACC title game vs NCSU
    98 senior day vs UNC
    01 FF vs Maryland
    Austin Rivers game
    20 @ UNC

I hate to look like the victim of recency bias but I'm going to suggest #1 is 2020 at unc (the Jones/Moore game from the OP) and I'm not sure it is close. Just so improbable with the missed free throw play.

This is like choosing your favorite kid, though, and there are really are no wrong answers.

One of my personal favorites although it wasn't exactly a significant game in the grand scheme of things was Virginia Tech at Duke in the 05-06 season. Watching Dockery sink that heave in Cameron is one of my favorite sports memories, I screamed myself absolutely hoarse that night, took a day or two to get my voice back IIRC.

There is something special to "stealing" a game against UNC. The Austin Rivers game was special because we really had no business winning it. The Jones/Moore game was similar.

The 1998 game in Cameron, for sure. The sheer magnitude of that UNC team, to reel them in from behind.

The 2012 Rivers game and the two in 2020 of course are fabulous too.

And of course the miracle in College Park, plus the comeback in that Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I hate to look like the victim of recency bias but I'm going to suggest #1 is 2020 at unc (the Jones/Moore game from the OP) and I'm not sure it is close. Just so improbable with the missed free throw play.

This is like choosing your favorite kid, though, and there are really are no wrong answers.

One of my personal favorites although it wasn't exactly a significant game in the grand scheme of things was Virginia Tech at Duke in the 05-06 season. Watching Dockery sink that heave in Cameron is one of my favorite sports memories, I screamed myself absolutely hoarse that night, took a day or two to get my voice back IIRC.
    I think, if I have to pick one, that's my pick too. There were 2 comebacks and I can't remember if it was the one at the end of regulation or the one in OT where the number of points we were down and the amount of time left on the clock made it seem like an impossible task. Anybody remember? It was something like 8 points in 17 seconds. It was also sweet because it was just another heartbreak for UNC that year. There were so many buzzer beater losses for them that season, and Roy's post-game presser conferences just got more entertaining each time (and I don't even remember him griping about foul disparities. He mostly took it out on himself).

I think I'm realizing, though, that there's 2 types of comebacks. There are those crazy games where miraculous things happen in the last minute to erase a deficit of up to about 10 points. Then, there are the games where you're down by so much, you have build a sustained comeback over time.

Not often mentioned in the Austin Rivers game is the gift from the heavens in the form of the Tyler Zeller deflection and "own goal" in the last minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The 1998 game in Cameron, for sure. The sheer magnitude of that UNC team, to reel them in from behind.

The 2012 Rivers game and the two in 2020 of course are fabulous too.

And of course the miracle in College Park, plus the comeback in that Final Four.
    Agree, especially the game at Maryland.
    Last edited by 53n206; 02-05-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: punctuation

One of my favorites was
    UNLV 77 Duke 79 1991

It was a comeback a year in the making from
    UNLV 103 Duke 73 1990

And was followed by Duke’s first NCAA title in men’s basketball two days later in case there was any confusion.

Final Four vs Maryland, Duke comes back from down 22 to win by 11. Largest comeback in the history of the Final 4, and lead to Duke's 3rd Natty.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Final Four vs Maryland, Duke comes back from down 22 to win by 11. Largest comeback in the history of the Final 4, and lead to Duke's 3rd Natty.
    This, and it's not even close.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The next one!!

Fan since 77. Saw most of the games mentioned and I was thrilled by all of them. On campus Fall 86 to 90. L'ville in 19 was dynamic. FF game vs MD was maybe most significant. I would love to see a list of every game in 60 years when we were down by 4/5 and came back to win.
    But there will be a next one that continues a tradition, that seals Scheyer's status, that defines a great year. Usually means that the team had a lesson to learn and were able to adjust to face the situation. There are gotcha games coming in this years schedule. Maybe Miami, maybe Virginia. The next great comeback is coming, and that's one of the reasons we watch.

I’m not sure it is #1, but Coach K’s 1000th win in the Garden over St. John’s is right up there. Down 10 with 8 minutes to play and a whole lot of emotion on the court. Q with the ice cold 3, and Jahlil just bullying people in the paint. Tyus Stones with the and-1. Just classic.