Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Very impressed with Jon in this Q&A. Articulate, thoughtful, charismatic, mature, generous in sharing of credit and genuine caring for his players and their families. Checks all the boxes for a big time coach.
    I think the NBA has plenty of very good guards in their early 20's. Proctor paired with McCain, Schutt, and Foster next season at Duke will be more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I think the NBA has plenty of very good guards in their early 20's. Proctor paired with McCain, Schutt, and Foster next season at Duke will be more likely.
    And don’t forget junior Blakes.

Proctor, Roach and Mitchell will all have big decisions to make. Hopeful we get at least one back. If we get two, plus another year out of Young, it would really take some pressure off next year’s freshmen - a deep class but less talented than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The interesting thing there is that I think losing him completely really hurt his shot. The other times he had that shot someone had seen him and was barreling towards him, so he just had to fire it up. On that last one, he had all day. He was so open, nobody even tried to close him out. So rather than just go up with it, he held the ball for a second and got all "thinky" about the shot. I actually think having all that space messed up his timing.

However that may be, I'm sure glad he clanked that particular shot.
    Thinky Leaky. Hope it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I was one of those posters, and yes, I intended to point to both the whining about the refs on the board and the frustration with Jon after the game.

I do agree with the poster I was replying to that complaining about refs is pretty bush-league and reeks of Terping, but also that most of us are guilty of this as well.

I try to refrain from ref-bashing, but sometimes I fail.
    Reeks of Terping. Stealing that for the title of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Very impressed with Jon in this Q&A. Articulate, thoughtful, charismatic, mature, generous in sharing of credit and genuine caring for his players and their families. Checks all the boxes for a big time coach.
    Some of his comments sound exactly like what Coach K would say. Clearly, Jon learned a thing or two from him. Even the ribbing about a reporter's Red Sox/Yankees hat sounds exactly what K would do to lighten the mood and make a joke.

anyone notice on the final tarheel shot that missed, the unc player swatted proctor across the face? then they called proctor for the travel....everyone knew it was over and the officials just let it slide..

go check it out on ESPN replay....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Sort of with you until the Bilas part...he was operating a new level of disgust tonight.

Lots of examples but the one that struck a chord (for whatever reason) was the fawning of Jalen Washington...a 4 star top 40 freshman who has done very little to date all of the sudden gets the "he's going to a very very special player" comment from Bilas.

Just seemed very weird and out of place from Bilas...almost like he was throwing a bone at Hubert's relative lack of recruiting success.
    I had a similar reaction to Bilas comments regarding Washington. Washington did have a nice shot but the fawning seemed a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by stingy View Post
    Talking about stressful situations, thank goodness that last three by Leaky didn’t go in. I was rewatching the last 10 minutes last night and seeing that play, it was a defensive breakdown by Grandison in that he was on the opposite side of the paint and didn’t notice Leaky sneak away into the corner at all. This wasn’t the same as having to help on a drive and this leaving Leaky open outside, which I’m sure is what we were instructed to do. It would have been seriously gutting to go behind there. But the law of averages is that the 30% outside shooter isn’t going to make 4-6 and he missed. I also think the basketball gods gave us a break after all our hard work on defense. Phew.
    Amen to that. It had to have been the basketball gods because that was NOT a good defensive sequence on our part and there are other 3 point shooters in our league that won't miss such a wide open shot. We lucked out on that one.

I’m just gonna leave this right here

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    I had a similar reaction to Bilas comments regarding Washington. Washington did have a nice shot but the fawning seemed a bit excessive.
    At the end of Gameday on ESPN when the four announcers make their predictions on four games. All four missed 3 out of the 4 games. For the Duke vs. Cheat game, 3 picked the Cheats and Bilas didn't pick a team. Instead, he put up a picture of himself. I believe he's got it in his contract he's not allowed to come out and support/cheer his former university. I believe he's also got it his contract, that he has to give shout outs to the Cheating University and not say any thing negative about that so-called university. I believe that was proven when the investigation was going on regarding the years of academic fraud. I don't remember one time he called out the Cheats.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    anyone notice on the final tarheel shot that missed, the unc player swatted proctor across the face? then they called proctor for the travel...everyone knew it was over and the officials just let it slide..

go check it out on ESPN replay...
    One other time after Jeremy made a shot and the ball bounced back to him, he threw the ball to a cheat player and then that player threw the ball back to/at Jeremy. The game was a little chippy at times.

GoDuke!

Some thoughts after a re-watch yesterday:

- Officiating. The game was called very loosely both ways, which I think benefited us. There were probably a few calls that would have gone their way at the Dean Dome (one of Lively's early blocks on Bacot, Flip on Nance at the end of the half). On the other side, Bacot got away with 3-4 obvious push offs on rebounds. In the second half, they finally called one on him. (Of course, Bilas says "some people call that rebounding." I mean, this was a *blatant* push off with the hands and no attempt to box out. Clear foul.).

- Jeremy Roach. We'll remember this as the Dereck Lively Game, but this was just as much about vindication for Jeremy. He wasn't at his most efficient, but he sensed that he had to be a volume shooter. The offense really wasn't clicking, and he had to ad-lib a lot. His fadeaway over Leaky was beautiful. His drives against Davis were huge. Some of our best moments of the second half came when he attacked a ball screen from the left wing (I'll always call that one the "Grayson in the title game" set). You could really tell this game meant a lot to him.

- Lively. It's all been said already. His defense is good enough to flip a game in our favor. His footwork and quickness are just as important as his length. Carolina feasted on ballscreens when he was out of the game, and got almost nothing when he came back in. He's also quietly improving his rebounding.

- Offense. After some really nice games lately, our half court offense struggled. Credit to our opponent - that was about as well as we've been defended all year. We were bailed out by fast break points in the first half and second chance points in the second. Interestingly, our 3-point attempt rate was our lowest of the season. I would have liked to have exchanged some of our midrange jumpers for a few more 3s. Otherwise, I do think both teams defended well and the refs allowed both teams to get away with a lot of contact.

- Defense. This won the game, for sure. I really liked Jon's gameplan. We packed it in defensively, which is something K was usually reluctant to do. Mark Mitchell practically played a one man zone and was key in cutting off drives and bringing help against Bacot. In particular, I want to praise our defense in the early part of the second half. Carolina did not make a 2-pointer until the 12:17 mark. If it weren't for Leaky Blacks 3s, we might have pulled away early. Carolina only made 5 2-pointers in the entire second half - a Bacot dunk, a Love layup, and 3 contested jumpers. We protected our paint brilliantly.

- Rotation. I think Scheyer is really finding his rhythm in substitution patterns. There will be some change game-to-game; for example, some games will be better suited to Lively than Young, and vice versa. But I'm glad to see Grandison get more of the bench minutes in the backcourt while Blakes takes a smaller role. It will be interesting to see what happens when Whitehead comes back.

A great game and an even better win. Duke's defense was fabulous. Dereck had a spectacular game. Jeremy and Tyrese had great games (7 boards each). Mark showed up on the boards for the second straight game. Flip struggled with his offense, but his defense was good. Jacob seems to be embracing the role of no-stats glue guy.

I think Duke caught a break when the refs called a true let them play game instead of the typical let them play game. A typical let them play game allows unc to mug with impunity while Duke gets called for stepping on the floor. I knew things were going Duke's way when Bacot got called for pushing in the back after only the sixth time he did it.

My two cents

1) Pre-game, I mentioned a) Bacot would get his 20-30 points, b) Love would be Love, and c) the key was slowing down Davis. Got 2 out of 3 right! In fairness, Love was always going to be Love, so that's not that fair. Slowing down Davis was key, as I think he is UNC's best player. Roach did a marvelous job on him. Bacot? Did not see that coming. He is stronger and much more savvy than Lively. I couldn't have been more wrong about that match up. Lively destroyed Bacot.

2) Lively's defensive impact could always be measured, but to see him in all his wonderful colors, he needs to stay on the court. Yes, fouling has a lot to do with that. But even without fouling, Scheyer played Lively for 34 minutes. Lively's previous minute high? 24 minutes. He played 10 minutes more in the UNC game than any other game this year. And with those minutes, Lively gets more confident and gets more aggressive on the offensive end. Those 2 put backs aren't flukes; they came with Lively's defense energizing his offense. I don't know if he's a top #3 recruit in the country, but he is definitely the #1 defensive recruit who's offense will give you 2-3 alley oops/put-backs a game. I want that player playing 30 minutes a game.

3) No one on our team was efficient offensively, and we beat the #1 pre-season team. Our defense can be devastating, but it also shows that, with efficient shooting from 1-2 of Flip, Roach, Proctor, or Dariq, we can be so elite.

4) Despite poor shooting, I loved the play from 4 of our 5 starters. Mitchell was the odd man out. I thought his defense was really, really poor against UNC. He got burned a lot from drives, and Black absolutely took advantage of Mitchell. Hope this is a game Mitchell forgets.

5) Scheyer is adopting Coach K's rotation mantra: basically 6 rotation players. Blakes just isn't ready for prime time ACC play. Young cannot guard ACC 5s. Grandison is a really nice piece off the bench who offers decent decent, excellent 3pt shooting, and solid passing into the interior. When Dariq comes back, I assume the rotation goes to 7.5 players (assuming Lively is able to consistently play 30+ minutes a game from here on out).

6) If you are a casual fan of basketball, chalk this game up to, "Yeah...college basketball is terrible". If you're a Duke/UNC fan, it was a great game: defense, effort, riding your starters, solid set plays (well, except for the outcome of the game for UNC fans). I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and then saw the terrible shooting percentages.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    At the end of Gameday on ESPN when the four announcers make their predictions on four games. All four missed 3 out of the 4 games. For the Duke vs. Cheat game, 3 picked the Cheats and Bilas didn't pick a team. Instead, he put up a picture of himself. I believe he's got it in his contract he's not allowed to come out and support/cheer his former university. I believe he's also got it his contract, that he has to give shout outs to the Cheating University and not say any thing negative about that so-called university. I believe that was proven when the investigation was going on regarding the years of academic fraud. I don't remember one time he called out the Cheats.

GoDuke!
    He gave it a big "It was bad, BUT the NCAA has no jurisdiction here." Kind of like a Holocaust denier who says "It was still bad, but the death toll was probably more like 6 thousand, not 6 million.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    2) Lively's defensive impact could always be measured, but to see him in all his wonderful colors, he needs to stay on the court. Yes, fouling has a lot to do with that. But even without fouling, Scheyer played Lively for 34 minutes. Lively's previous minute high? 24 minutes. He played 10 minutes more in the UNC game than any other game this year. And with those minutes, Lively gets more confident and gets more aggressive on the offensive end. Those 2 put backs aren't flukes; they came with Lively's defense energizing his offense. I don't know if he's a top #3 recruit in the country, but he is definitely the #1 defensive recruit who's offense will give you 2-3 alley oops/put-backs a game. I want that player playing 30 minutes a game.
    The catch, of course, is foul trouble. The single biggest reason he hasn't played more is foul trouble. When you pick up 2 quick fouls in the first half, your minutes go down. And then it's harder to stick with you in the second half. He has cut down on his fouling though in recent games, and as such his minutes have been increasing. 24 minutes in the blowout against GT, in which we called off the dogs with 5-6 minutes left (so it would have been more like a 27-28 minute performance if the game had been in doubt). 20 minutes against Wake, despite substantial foul trouble (2 early 1st half fouls, then he picked up his 4th with over 6.5 minutes to go in the game). And 34 against UNC.

If he can avoid foul trouble, he's going to play 30 minutes per game. But it remains a real question for him moving forward. Hopefully the recent stretch (2 of the last 3 without foul trouble) is a sign of things to come.

4) Despite poor shooting, I loved the play from 4 of our 5 starters. Mitchell was the odd man out. I thought his defense was really, really poor against UNC. He got burned a lot from drives, and Black absolutely took advantage of Mitchell. Hope this is a game Mitchell forgets.
    I didn't see that at all. I thought Mitchell did what he always does: pounded the boards and defended well. And Black didn't take advantage of him: we strategically made Black the open man, with Mitchell playing essentially zone defense to protect against the pick and roll game. We were quite willing to live with Black taking 3s if it meant that Love and Davis weren't getting layups and/or feeding handoffs to Bacot.

Young cannot guard ACC 5s.
    Oh, Young can guard most ACC 5s adequately. What he can't do is defend the pick and roll when the opponent has good "downhill" guards and mobile bigs. It's the latter that is the problem for him when we play teams with good attacking guards (UNC, Miami). UNC and Miami took advantage of that by constantly running high ball screens against him. That's where Bacot made his hay against Young this weekend.

So long as we play teams that want to run those high ball screens with dynamic guards and mobile bigs, Young will have trouble. Not everyone in the ACC has the ability to do that, but certainly several teams do. Against teams with bigs who aren't mobile or can't shoot, we can play drop coverage and mitigate that. Against teams without dynamic guards, we can play more straight up. But against teams who can punish you with the pick and roll game, we will want to minimize Young's minutes.

When Dariq comes back, I assume the rotation goes to 7.5 players (assuming Lively is able to consistently play 30+ minutes a game from here on out).
    I think it becomes a 7.5-8 man rotation, with the extra 0.5 being determined by Lively's ability to stay on the floor. When Lively can do that, it's a 7.5 man rotation. When Lively struggles with fouls, we'll see more of Young.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I didn't see that at all. I thought Mitchell did what he always does: pounded the boards and defended well. And Black didn't take advantage of him: we strategically made Black the open man, with Mitchell playing essentially zone defense to protect against the pick and roll game. We were quite willing to live with Black taking 3s if it meant that Love and Davis weren't getting layups and/or feeding handoffs to Bacot.
    Yeah I remember only one play where Mark overplayed a shot fake and Leaky went by him for an uncontested layup. I thought he played well defensively. A minor quibble, however, is that Mark has been a bit underwhelming on the boards for most of the season (though he has been much better of late).

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Yeah I remember only one play where Mark overplayed a shot fake and Leaky went by him for an uncontested layup. I thought he played well defensively. A minor quibble, however, is that Mark has been a bit underwhelming on the boards for most of the season (though he has been much better of late).
    Yeah, that's a very fair point about the rebounds. He definitely struggled on the glass early on, but has been better of late (and MUCH better over the last 3 games): 5.7 rebounds per game largely from the SF spot the last 9 games; 7.3 rpg over the past 3. But prior to that he was really poor on the glass: just 3.5 rebounds per game over the first 14 games.

5) Scheyer is adopting Coach K's rotation mantra: basically 6 rotation players. Blakes just isn't ready for prime time ACC play. Young cannot guard ACC 5s. Grandison is a really nice piece off the bench who offers decent decent, excellent 3pt shooting, and solid passing into the interior. When Dariq comes back, I assume the rotation goes to 7.5 players (assuming Lively is able to consistently play 30+ minutes a game from here on out).
    I don't think this is necessarily the case - instead, I think he's realizing he can't stubbornly trot out the same rotations from game to game and expect success. Every team is different. Young will be very good against teams that can't exploit his defense, but UNC isn't one of those teams.

Blakes I think is hampered by his injury, but ultimately, he's the odd man out in the guard rotation with Proctor playing so well and Roach being healthy. Blakes will likely get more minutes as he heals up, but the rotation is likely game dependent more than Scheyer sticking with just 6-7 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    I don't want to let this particular point slide: Jay puts up a picture of himself for EVERY game he is calling, not just Duke/Carolina. It would be inappropriate to have any announcer predict a game when they are calling it. If he's not calling the Duke/Carolina game, he'd make a pick. He has picked Duke in the past.

And as far as fawning over our rivals, I remember when the ESPN president was a Tar Heel, which may have tempered his on-air views. He says it didn't make a difference, but smart people don't hate on their boss' team.

I specifically listened to Jay during the game and I thought Jay was relatively balanced in calling the game. And UNC does have good players -- this rivalry wouldn't be any fun if either team was always mediocre. If says something good about UNC, I see it as giving their fans hope. I mean, how much more salt is rubbed in their wounds in a rivalry loss because a Blue Devil thought they were good?

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way saying anyone should feel like I do. This opinion is my own and may or may not be shared by any other moderators or DBR members and is definitely not an expressed view of the moderation team.