Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. The author of that article doesn't realize I am a Dukie trolling the Carolina folks. Bwahahahahahaha! I love it!
    Jason, I don't think you realize the power this now gives you. You are now a media-sanctioned representative of UNC fans on Twitter! Your mission: undermine everything done by their social media team from now until the end of time.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    lol. Nice Jason!

On a serious note, the clock operator was QUITE slow. NC caught the ball, turned, jumped, and got the shot off in less than a second? Not physically possible.
    Per the play by play, the shot attempt didn’t count. It was after the clock expired.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Jason, I don't think you realize the power this now gives you. You are now a media-sanctioned representative of UNC fans on Twitter! Your mission: undermine everything done by their social media team from now until the end of time.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Usually most of the threads on this board concentrate on Duke with a few threads about all of the other teams in the ACC in one discussion. Yesterday a thread about the unc loss to Pitt was opened with too much focus on one team we have trouble respecting.

So perhaps as a counter balance here is a thread giving some much earned respect to the Pack.
    Apparently, nope.

Although it looks does look like Keatts is following Capel's lead and saving his job. Of course that can be undone by a very short post-season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    lol. Nice Jason!

On a serious note, the clock operator was QUITE slow. NC caught the ball, turned, jumped, and got the shot off in less than a second? Not physically possible.
    NCAA officials actually use a device called WhistleStop, which is a battery-operated timing system that stops the clock on the sound of the whistle (which is connected to the actual whistle with a small microphone by wire from the battery-operated box the referee will wear), and the start of the clock is controlled by the actual box that the officials wear.

The clock operator is just a backup for these 3 boxes.

https://www.whistlestopworks.com/about

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Jason, I don't think you realize the power this now gives you. You are now a media-sanctioned representative of UNC fans on Twitter! Your mission (should you choose to accept it): undermine everything done by their social media team from now until the end of time.(This message will self destruct in 3 seconds.)
    FIFY
    Last edited by pfrduke; 02-02-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Usually most of the threads on this board concentrate on Duke with a few threads about all of the other teams in the ACC in one discussion. Yesterday a thread about the unc loss to Pitt was opened with too much focus on one team we have trouble respecting.

So perhaps as a counter balance here is a thread giving some much earned respect to the Pack.

They are tied with Clemson with the best record in the ACC at 18-5. The lone non-conference loss was to Kansas by 6 (80-74), so they certainly took care of their non-conference schedule. In the ACC they are 8-4 with losses to Pitt, at Miami, at Clemson and an "embarrassing" loss at unc (since every loss to unc is embarrassing).

Going forward they have a chance to redeem themselves with home games with Clemson and unc. (BTW the Pack managers can help with the unc game by distributing dark blue contacts. The ones that we all wear here at DBR. When unc takes the floor the Pack will think they are playing Duke and will play great.). They also have games with GT, BC and Syr where they should be favored. That leaves games with WF and Duke who they have already beaten and the key game at UVA on 2/9. They clearly are on track for a top 4 finish in the ACC and with some respect by the selection committee a good seed in the NCAA tournament.

(Packman...if I just jinxed the Pack feel free to blame me.)
    I think the Pack is more than capable of wetting the bed without any help from Duke fans, but thank you for your kind thoughts Our specialty is incontinence against even the worst UNC teams.

That said, I remember starting off the ACC season 1-3 with the sole win being against UL and thinking here we go again...of course not realize that Clemson, Miami and Pitt would be top 4 teams at the halfway point. It's been a fun season so far and despite injuries to two starters, we seem to be firing on all cylinders. Keatts has always done a good job bringing in transfers (and had rotten luck with recruits not making it to campus, either going strait to NBA or in a few cases, opting out at the last minute due to Dennis Smith Jr and Gotfried's NCAA troubles). Perhaps the NIL era will be a lot more suitable to him as it mirrors much of what he did at Hargrave, find the best guys looking for one more year and molding them into a winning team.

So, I'll go out and enjoy reading the repots of the game and maybe following along online every now and then. (still boycotting watching games until UNC is punished for their cheating ways)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, the official play by play does not include a shot attempt. The shot was after the buzzer.
    It is a bit fuzzy, but this screen capture shows the ball still in Love's hands with the red "buzzer" lights showing on the backboard.

Sibande-2.jpg

If a foul had been called, would it have been reviewed to determine that the shot was late? If so, would the "foul" be overturned? That might have been even more satisfying than the way the game actually ended.

Edit: Is the red light on the backboard official? The live action clip shows the red backboard light on with the ESPN clock showing 0.1 second left.
    Last edited by House P; 02-02-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    It is a bit fuzzy, but this screen capture shows the ball still in Love's hands with the red "buzzer" lights showing on the backboard.

Sibande-2.jpg

If a foul had been called, would it have been reviewed to determine that the shot was late? If so, would the "foul" be overturned? That might have been even more satisfying than the way the game actually ended.
    They wouldn’t have called Roger Ayers at home. He would have said that due to a clock malfunction, there should have actually been 6.6 seconds remaining, so the shot and foul were valid.

Seriously, though, what was the Pitt player thinking?? That was really close to a very costly foul!

Sibande-2.jpg

Yes, the shot attempt is reviewable. And if the officials had deemed the shot attempt was late (which they would have), then the foul would have been negated, had it been called.

Pat Driscoll was the official in the trail position there, I'd be interested to ask him did he deem the shot late in real-time.

Let me add a caveat to this as my understanding of the rule to be. The officials could have reviewed the play to determine if the shot was off in time. If a foul had been called initially, during the course of the review, the officials could have used review to determine if the foul that was called was before or after time had expired. If the contact had occurred before time expired, but the shot attempt was after time had expired, the player who was fouled could be put on the FT line for a common foul, if his team was in the bonus at the time, as a shot attempt isnt legally a shot attempt until the process of the shot is completed.

However, Pat Driscoll does a fantastic job of avoiding all that controversy by not blowing the whistle
    Last edited by bshrader; 02-02-2023 at 11:42 AM.

This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time. The author of that article doesn't realize I am a Dukie trolling the Carolina folks. Bwahahahahahaha! I love it!
    To put the quality of this article into context:

- two of the five fan quotes are describing the Kansas City Chiefs

- one quote says that all refs are "buns"

- the header photo is of some random ref in some random game from last year's First Four

- the title of the article states that the sports world wants the referee from the game fired, yet nothing in the actual article provides any evidence to support this claim or even mentions it

Sports media is becoming more and more indistinguishable from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Yes, the shot attempt is reviewable. And if the officials had deemed the shot attempt was late (which they would have), then the foul would have been negated, had it been called.

Pat Driscoll was the official in the trail position there, I'd be interested to ask him did he deem the shot late in real-time.
    Thanks. I didn't see any of the officials wave their arms in the way they signify "no shot", but this may be due to the fact that the "shot" wasn't in the air long very long.

Yep, give their fans some moments of hope only to crush their souls again. They deserve it.

Sibande-2.jpg

Edit: Is the red light on the backboard official? The live action clip shows the red backboard light on with the ESPN clock showing 0.1 second left.
    The red light on the scoreboard is official and it is the first item officials use in determining when the clock expires. Officials are taught lights, horn, clock in order of priority.

Regardless of whether time had run out before the shot got off is irrelevant! Irrelevant, I tell you! The Pitt player was - as others here have pointed out - simply giving the UNC player a "high five". Since non-athletes at Pitt perform this ritual with regularity during sporting contests, it is thus (according to Heel logic) NOT a violation of any rules. When both athletes and "regular" students are afforded equal opportunity to do something, it is, by Chapel Hill decree, totally ok and within the bounds of fair play.

I mean, I really don't understand what all the hubub is about

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Regardless of whether time had run out before the shot got off is irrelevant! Irrelevant, I tell you! The Pitt player was - as others here have pointed out - simply giving the UNC player a "high five". Since non-athletes at Pitt perform this ritual with regularity during sporting contests, it is thus (according to Heel logic) NOT a violation of any rules. When both athletes and "regular" students are afforded equal opportunity to do something, it is, by Chapel Hill decree, totally ok and within the bounds of fair play.

This is absolute gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

Plus, a high five is a form of celebration. And as the refs for the Va Tech game will tell you, if it is a celebration then it cannot be a foul.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Plus, a high five is a form of celebration. And as the refs for the Va Tech game will tell you, if it is a celebration then it cannot be a foul.
    So is a jumping belly bump and Bacot is known for doing that every play- maybe that is why he is never called for a foul

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    🙄 Wonder if he said the same thing after the Duke - Va Tech game (assuming he watched).