Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2023 Rock'n'Roll HOF nominees

Jeez, who do you leave out?

the list features George Michael, Kate Bush, Missy Elliott, the White Stripes, Sheryl Crow, Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, the Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest, and Warren Zevon
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...VANW6HMUSNOslI

Especially considering some of the recent inductees.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Unbelievable group of nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Honestly, the only "iffy" on for me is Sheryl Crow.

No offense to any MurderHeads on this board - I just find her music less interested than the other artists listed.

If Willie or RATM aren't in, I'll burn down buildings.

I can't describe the joy I will feel if Willie Nelson and Iron Maiden go in together (as they flippin' well better).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Honestly, the only "iffy" on for me is Sheryl Crow.
    Honestly, I'd put Sheryl Crow in well ahead of Cyndi Lauper.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Honestly, I'd put Sheryl Crow in well ahead of Cyndi Lauper.
    Depending on your age, you may not realize how brightly she burned.

She's So Unusual was the first debut album by a female artist to feature four top-five hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Cyndi Lauper came out around the same time as Madonna, but was the bigger act for several years. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was anthemic... bigger than anything Sheryl Crow has ever done.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Zevon is LONG overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Zevon is LONG overdue.
    Warren is a legend. I’m stunned that he’s not already enshrined.

Zevon is LONG overdue.
    No kidding. I’ll be an excitable boy if he gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    No kidding. I’ll be an excitable boy if he gets in.
    How could he not get in? He’s got to be a sure thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    How could he not get in? He’s got to be a sure thing, right?
    My understanding is that some big name musicians have been lobbying for this. That’s gotta help.

My understanding is that some big name musicians have been lobbying for this. That’s gotta help.
    Yep, much like Leon Russell and Jeff Beck, Warren was a musician’s musician. I was always thrilled with the relatively small venues each played. They were some of the best regardless of relative fame.

Zevon is LONG overdue.
    My family agrees; we've been sending the voting link to every Zevon fan we know over the last few days.

As a melancholic aside, Trader Vic's London closed on December 31.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    My family agrees; we've been sending the voting link to every Zevon fan we know over the last few days.

As a melancholic aside, Trader Vic's London closed on December 31.
    And Lee Ho Fook closed in 2008. It actually had a a Michelin star at some point.

And Lee Ho Fook closed in 2008. It actually had a a Michelin star at some point.
    For some reason I saved this long ago

2023-02-06_222715.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    For some reason I saved this long ago

2023-02-06_222715.jpg
    Jealous.

I have walked through (Chinatown) Soho in the rain, but sadly was about eight years too late. I did have my son take a picture of me walking with a Chinese menu in my hand, though. Best I could do.

Jealous.

I have walked through (Chinatown) Soho in the rain, but sadly was about eight years too late. I did have my son take a picture of me walking with a Chinese menu in my hand, though. Best I could do.
    I have a friend who was in London late in December, a big fan herself, and she snagged a menu from Trader Vic's. Incidentally they had a guest book with lots of nice "don't close" and "Warren 4 life" sorts of messages.

I have a picture ordering a piña colada from the Trader Vic's in Atlanta from our Chick-fil-A Bowl game. And the answer to your next question is yes.

The first one I technically went to was in (approximately) Mountain View, CA, when I was taking a day to just drive casually around the bay. Literally saw it out of the corner of my eye and spent 45 minutes turning around to confirm it and walk inside. Tried to eat there the day before leaving California - waited because my dad was going to join me before we embarked on a cross-country drive to Durham, as he had introduced me to Zevon - and found it had closed down the day before.

Anyone have a Pioneer Chicken story?

Or the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel?

I have a friend who was in London late in December, a big fan herself, and she snagged a menu from Trader Vic's. Incidentally they had a guest book with lots of nice "don't close" and "Warren 4 life" sorts of messages.

I have a picture ordering a piña colada from the Trader Vic's in Atlanta from our Chick-fil-A Bowl game. And the answer to your next question is yes.

The first one I technically went to was in (approximately) Mountain View, CA, when I was taking a day to just drive casually around the bay. Literally saw it out of the corner of my eye and spent 45 minutes turning around to confirm it and walk inside. Tried to eat there the day before leaving California - waited because my dad was going to join me before we embarked on a cross-country drive to Durham, as he had introduced me to Zevon - and found it had closed down the day before.

Never ate at the Pioneer Chicken on Alvarado, because it was within walking distance of the home of the world’s best pastrami sandwich, Langer’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Depending on your age, you may not realize how brightly she burned.

She's So Unusual was the first debut album by a female artist to feature four top-five hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Cyndi Lauper came out around the same time as Madonna, but was the bigger act for several years. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was anthemic... bigger than anything Sheryl Crow has ever done.
    Oh, I do realize it. I'm exactly the right age for that. And given that it is the Hall of Fame, those are all fair arguments. And Cyndi Lauper is already in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, so putting her in this one wouldn't be that big a surprise. I just think Sheryl Crow wrote better, more innovative, and more interesting songs. But that's entirely a subjective judgment, of course, and there's no doubting who has had the bigger commercial success.