Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Seconded. In my opinion, Lauper has 3 or 4 good songs (Time After Time, All Through the Night, I Drove All Night), some pretty good songs (Girls Just Want to Have Fun, True Colors, Change of Heart), several annoying songs (She Bop, Money Changes Everything, Iko Iko, The Goonies), and a tepid cover of a good Prince song (When You Were Mine). And that’s it.

Sheryl Crow on the other hand has at least four entire albums that are good. Sure, she’s certainly no Joni Mitchell. But who is?
    "Time after Time" is probably my favorite song. Check out Everything but the Girl's cover (one of my favorite groups)

Yeah, no RnRHOF thread would be complete without the WTF snubs.

Little Feat
    Jim Croce
    Steppenwolf
    Boston
    Devo
    B-52s
    The Guess Who
    Bad Company
    Billy Idol
    Jethro Tull
    Brian Eno

Far from a comprehensive list. Many have never even been nominated.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If she is HOF worthy, but Little Feat is not, then the HOF is just one sick joke.
    I think the HOF has already crossed that line.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Seconded. In my opinion, Lauper has 3 or 4 good songs (Time After Time, All Through the Night, I Drove All Night), some pretty good songs (Girls Just Want to Have Fun, True Colors, Change of Heart), several annoying songs (She Bop, Money Changes Everything, Iko Iko, The Goonies), and a tepid cover of a good Prince song (When You Were Mine). And that’s it.
    You do realize that Iko Iko has been around since the 50s and has been covered by tons of folks? Lauper didn't write the "pretty good song".

My fav is the Grateful Dead's rendition, but I might be slightly biased.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You do realize that Iko Iko has been around since the 50s and has been covered by tons of folks? Lauper didn't write the "pretty good song".

My fav is the Grateful Dead's rendition, but I might be slightly biased.
    Yes, I knew quite well it wasn’t originally Lauper’s song. And it was not in my “pretty good” songs grouping; it was comfortably among the “annoying” songs.

I wasn’t aware The Dead covered it. I’ll check it out.

Yes, I knew quite well it wasn’t originally Lauper’s song. And it was not in my “pretty good” songs grouping; it was comfortably among the “annoying” songs.

I wasn’t aware The Dead covered it. I’ll check it out.
    IMO, the tune was also covered well by Dr. John, The Meters, and The Neville Brothers. The Grateful Dead started playing it after having The Neville Brothers open for a couple GD tours.

I ushered the Cyndi Lauper concert at Cameron, but it was only because I wanted to see The Bangles who opened. (I had — and still have — mad love for Susanna Hoffs).

If she is HOF worthy, but Little Feat is not, then the HOF is just one sick joke.
    Maybe Little Feat should have aimed higher on the scale of feats?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, the tune was also covered well by Dr. John, The Meters, and The Neville Brothers. The Grateful Dead started playing it after having The Neville Brothers open for a couple GD tours.
    Dr. John is the definitive version in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Me too. And I’m a huge Head.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Maybe Little Feat should have aimed higher on the scale of feats?
    Well, the Small Faces made the HOF twenty or so years ago….

(spork-worthy post cato!)

Me too. And I’m a huge Head.
    Must be what I was thinking of. I was going to say Professor Longhair, but I think I’m thinking of tipitina.

Today You (Probably) Learned that "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is also a cover, and not only that, the original version is written and performed by a man. This is Robert Hazard in 1979:

Personally, I think I like Cyndi Lauper as an actress more than a singer. She's so unusual in her Mad About You recurring role.

Not that I vote on these things, but I'd pick Joy Division/New Order, Willie Nelson, Rage Against the Machine, The Spinners, and George Michael, probably in that order.

I'm not opposed to any of the other nominees, but I feel like Sheryl Crow has positioned herself toward an easy/eventual induction. Like everything she's done has been publicizing and politicking toward this moment. The Hall of Fame has a dearth of solo rock females, ironically highlighted in 2019 by when Stevie Nicks made it as a solo artist. Even when you take her out of Fleetwood Mac, all her biggest hits are duets with men.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Joy Division/New Order entry is just strange. I'd prefer they just leave it as Joy Division, and then if they want, give New Order a consideration another year. Yes, they are the same people minus the lead singer, but they are still different bands.

In my head it would be like nominating Bauhaus, and then tossing in Love & Rockets. Sans Peter Murphy, L&R is an entirely different band with a different direction. JD/NO are a little more similar to each other, but still. (Plus New Order has had far more longevity. JD only had 2 albums.)

I think the dual submission is a terrible and weak idea.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dr. John gave us quite a few great things.
    8F6C077E-DF4C-436D-94E7-623F793E49E7.jpg

I ushered the Cyndi Lauper concert at Cameron, but it was only because I wanted to see The Bangles who opened. (I had — and still have — mad love for Susanna Hoffs).

I am still in love with Susanna Hoffs.

Yep, the tune bleeds NOLA, not SF. But, credit the hippies for a valiant and noble effort.

Want to see Dr. John’s version?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50yEQQB2OVE

Want to see The Grateful Dead’s version?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHVqO2X-nQ

How good were The Grateful Dead in concert?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU5FywUBEk

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Today You (Probably) Learned that "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is also a cover, and not only that, the original version is written and performed by a man. This is Robert Hazard in 1979:

Personally, I think I like Cyndi Lauper as an actress more than a singer. She's so unusual in her Mad About You recurring role.

Not that I vote on these things, but I'd pick Joy Division/New Order, Willie Nelson, Rage Against the Machine, The Spinners, and George Michael, probably in that order.

I'm not opposed to any of the other nominees, but I feel like Sheryl Crow has positioned herself toward an easy/eventual induction. Like everything she's done has been publicizing and politicking toward this moment. The Hall of Fame has a dearth of solo rock females, ironically highlighted in 2019 by when Stevie Nicks made it as a solo artist. Even when you take her out of Fleetwood Mac, all her biggest hits are duets with men.
    I'm glad you didn't leave out The Spinners on your list. Glad to see George Michael on it as well.