Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R.I.P. Burt Bacharach

Burt Bacharach has died at 94. You have to acknowledge he's one of the all-time great songwriters, whether you like that style or not.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/09/56155...iHQpClkjkprGfI

R.I.P.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Somewhere Austin Powers is pouring one out

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Burt Bacharach has died at 94. You have to acknowledge he's one of the all-time great songwriters, whether you like that style or not.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/09/56155...iHQpClkjkprGfI

R.I.P.
    I know I’m old and corny but I love his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure the youngsters around here would get it. Brings back memories of simpler times (the 60s were simple if you were a kid). Most any of his songs coming on the hi-fi would get Mom & Dad slow dancing in the living room. Embarrassing at the time, but sweetly nostalgic now.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Somewhere Austin Powers is pouring one out
    Truth. Without Mr. Powers, I would not have had a clue.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The album he did with Elvis Costello a few years ago is worth a listen.

Gifted songwriter, melodicist and arranger who crafted a very distinctive sound, one that has aged surprisingly well in my view

Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. (They Long to Be) Close to You was huge hit for The Carpenters. It didn't really become a hit, but the James Taylor version of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance springs to my mind. Between the Moon and New York City was the best thing about both Arthur and Christopher Cross. (There's) Always Something There to Remind Me became a huge hit for Naked Eyes. Not to mention What's New (Wankerizer)cat, Walk On By, What the World Needs Now is Love, and Say a Little Prayer.

The man could really lay down a tune. I, for one, will miss Burt Bacharach, and I've never even seen Austin Powers.

Yea, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I too enjoy his music (I have quite a few of his songs on my Spotify play list); reminds me of my days as a kid back in the 60's. He was a great melody writer (IMHO) and lyricist (along with Hal David).
    This is quite a good compilation of many of his greatest hits, performed by some of the singers/winners from American Idol, with Burt playing the piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Czo2BXbaTI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HQXVRzVniw

So did I. Loved most of his work.

RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The album he did with Elvis Costello a few years ago is worth a listen.
    Re-listening to this right now (“Painted From Memory” in 1998). It’s been awhile. What a FANTASTIC album. Highly recommend if you like both, recommend even more strongly if you like one but do not know a lot about the other.

Them on Letterman:

Re-listening to this right now (“Painted From Memory” in 1998). It’s been awhile. What a FANTASTIC album. Highly recommend if you like both, recommend even more strongly if you like one but do not know a lot about the other.

Them on Letterman:

Showin' your age, buddy! Right there with ya. I hate it when "a few years ago" turns out (when looked into) to be 25 years!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Showin' your age, buddy! Right there with ya. I hate it when "a few years ago" turns out (when looked into) to be 25 years!
    Did I tell you about this new band “Wilco” that the kids are listening to these days?

Yeah, that kinda hurt tbh.

RIP to a gifted musician and composer. And a Forest Hills resident (Forest Hills High School, 1946).

May his memory be a blessing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    RIP to a gifted musician and composer. And a Forest Hills resident (Forest Hills High School, 1946).

May his memory be a blessing.
    When did Simon & Garfunkel graduate?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

A3CCB958-9351-4FE3-96BE-785D80E2AED9.jpg

I attended a 5th Dimension concert last night (how's that for showing my age!). The concert was OK - only one original member is in the version of the group currently performing, and she admitted that she's 81 and a great-grandmother. The other 4 weren't spring chickens either.

Anyway, they gave a shout-out to Burt Bacharach when they sang One Less Bell to Answer, and this was (I believe) before his death was announced. They played several songs that were hits recorded by others, including at least one other Bacharach song (Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head).

According to the Washington Post, he composed over 70 top 40 hits (although I saw slightly different numbers elsewhere). That's pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    1959. They were born within a few months of my dad, except they represented Queens, and my dad was raised out in Brooklyn.

Actually earlier (I think 1958). We’ve had a continuum of music genres here, from Bacharach to S&G to Leslie West (Mountain) to the Ramones. (The street in front of FH High School was renamed after the Ramones.)

7F0E9FDC-641B-4B5A-AB64-97891EA361D7.jpg

And, many may know that Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man, went to Forest Hills High School and, in fact, lived around the block from me at 20 Ingram St. An interesting story and a coincidence is that for many years the real family who lived at 20 Ingram St. were named the Parkers.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Actually earlier (I think 1958).
    Oh, I was just riffing on The Graduate from the question.