Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Hahaha! My children got a weird mix of 90s alternative, 90s rap and hip hop and classic country. And also a ton of national public radio.
    My kids have absorbed my obsession with 80s music - we are often in stores and hear an 80s song on a light music station and they will say "that's the song you like." They know all about Rickrolling.

Hahaha! My children got a weird mix of 90s alternative, 90s rap and hip hop and classic country. And also a ton of national public radio.
    "Classic rock??" *Rolls his eyes and walks away*

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    H.R. Pufnstuf
    Singing the theme song loudly right now!

Of course

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    The ones we watched and enjoyed as a family as my son grew up don't seem to be on anyone else's list. But here they are:

Adventures of Pete and Pete

Malcolm in the Middle (breakout role for Bryon Cranston - before he went bad)

Real Monsters (always on the hunt for toenail clippings)

Rug Rats

Did no one else watch these?
    And Doug and Hey Arnold which had one of the greatest lines of all time, "Sometimes my pants, they talk."

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Any male on this board (or anywhere else, for that matter) who claims they didn't want to be Jonny Quest is a liar.
    Along those same lines, there was Thunderbirds

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    My child will be raised on Wilco, the Grateful Dead, Brandi Carlile, and the Allman Brothers.
    And of course Iron Maiden.
    And that will be a child worth knowing.

My child will be raised on Wilco, the Grateful Dead, Brandi Carlile, and the Allman Brothers.
    Good parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    "Classic rock??" *Rolls his eyes and walks away*
    Hahaha! You already know.

I don't have child yet, but I have never stopped watching a lot of "children's" television. DuckTales is one of my three favorite shows of all time, for example, and if you've ever read anything I've written here for more than like 5 minutes, you know I'm a big fan of all things Muppet, including the OG Muppet Show (which wasn't actually kids' tv), Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock.
    Other things already mentioned here that I really like are Gravity Falls, Bluey, and Reading Rainbow.

By no means whatsoever is this a comprehensive list. On more than one occasion, I've had friends ask me things like "What do you watch that isn't a kids show?"
    At this stage I feel like classic rock is when DJ wrestled.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson;
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And that will be a child worth knowing.
    My son WAS raised on the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers, as well as Dylan, Michael Bloomfield, and Captain Beefheart.

And he turned out pretty well.

The only group he didn't get was the Hampton Grease Band - but I'm willing to admit that they were an acquired taste

Who is "Iron Maiden"?

The only group he didn't get was the Hampton Grease Band - but I'm willing to admit that they were an acquired taste

“Music to Eat” is supposedly the second-worst selling album in the history of Columbia records (behind an exercise album).

Colonel Bruce was an institution. Saw him dozens of times in several different band configurations. Rest in Peace, Colonel.

Who is "Iron Maiden"?
    I will not tell a Hillary Clinton joke.
    I will not tell a Hillary…

My son WAS raised on the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers, as well as Dylan, Michael Bloomfield, and Captain Beefheart.

And he turned out pretty well.

Who is "Iron Maiden"?
    Are you being serious about Iron Maiden? Honest question.

They’re one of the great metal bands of all time. Part of the handful of artists who ushered in the “New Wave of British Heavy Metal” in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, when metal was first being defined and acknowledged as a thing. Known for their rich and melodic, but heavy and hard-charging sound, as well as their operatic sense of performance style and lavish live shows. Still touring now in their late 60s and early 70s. My favorite metal band, emerging from a metal epiphany I had several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Music to Eat” is supposedly the second-worst selling album in the history of Columbia records (behind an exercise album).

Colonel Bruce was an institution. Saw him dozens of times in several different band configurations. Rest in Peace, Colonel.
    Yeah... I guess you had to have been there. I would see them in the park downtown (Atlanta) and we had some mutual friends, so I heard some truly amazing stories.

Well, no one is perfect. And extra credit for even knowing about them.

They’re one of the great metal bands of all time. Part of the handful of artists who ushered in the “New Wave of British Heavy Metal” in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, when metal was first being defined and acknowledged as a thing. Known for their rich and melodic, but heavy and hard-charging sound, as well as their operatic sense of performance style and lavish live shows. Still touring now in their late 60s and early 70s. My favorite metal band, emerging from a metal epiphany I had several years ago.
    My vote for GOAT metal bands…. Led Zeppelin!

I will not tell a Hillary…
    Oh! The panel was looking for "I will not tell a Maggie Thatcher joke." You do qualify for the runner up prize. Tell him what he's won Johnny!

Oh! The panel was looking for "I will not tell a Maggie Thatcher joke." You do qualify for the runner up prize. Tell him what he's won Johnny!
    Do I get extra credit for using The Simpson’s opening credits scene on a thread you titled “Children's shows you actually enjoyed”?

Honest answer: The operative phrase is "metal band." Bunch of cosplaying posers. In the same category as "hair band." If you have something to say (or play) you don't need to dress up and pretend. See "Spinal Tap" It's good fun, I guess, but I have a hard time taking it seriously.

On the other hand, I used to have the same attitude about ZZ Top. The gimmicks got in the way. It took me time to realize that the Gibbons were really accomplished blues guitarists. Now, I can appreciate their music without having to remember their music videos from the 80s.

So, maybe metal bands are somehow similar. Still it has been a few years now and it still hasn't happened, so I'm not holding my breath.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Honest answer: The operative phrase is "metal band." Bunch of cosplaying posers. In the same category as "hair band." If you have something to say (or play) you don't need to dress up and pretend. See "Spinal Tap" It's good fun, I guess, but I have a hard time taking it seriously.

On the other hand, I used to have the same attitude about ZZ Top. The gimmicks got in the way. It took me time to realize that the Gibbons were really accomplished blues guitarists. Now, I can appreciate their music without having to remember their music videos from the 80s.

So, maybe metal bands are somehow similar. Still it has been a few years now and it still hasn't happened, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Music, fashion, and performance has gone hand in hand in hand forever. Do you discount the Beatles because they had their mop-tops, The Ramones for their even longer mop-tops? How about Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden for their shared preference for jeans and flannel?

I don't recall David Bowie being considered as a leader of a "hair band", but he sure had the look in the 70s. Same with Queen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Do I get extra credit for using The Simpson’s opening credits scene on a thread you titled “Children's shows you actually enjoyed”?
    YES!!!!!