R.I.P. Raquel Welch

This one hurts. Bad. Probably my first crush. Before I even knew why I was feeling that way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...11b2674317d54b

My favorite was her role in The Three Musketeers.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by dudog84; 02-15-2023 at 04:40 PM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

This is also something.https://youtu.be/ShpHqjM-zAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is also something.https://youtu.be/ShpHqjM-zAQ
    Well that was weird...

I thought she was a little two-dimensional in The Shawshank Redemption.

The film lost each of its 7 Oscar nominations the same year that Forrest Gump won Best Picture. I mention this because Raquel Welch figures into the plot of the Stephen King novella and the Winston Groom novel from which these two movies are based. The Academy rewarded the film that left her out.

It's also interesting that when choosing poster subjects, Andy Dufresne -- or maybe Stephen King -- has a type: Rita Hayworth (father from Spain), Raquel Welch (father from Bolivia, of Spanish descent), and Linda Ronstadt in the novella (father from Mexico, partly of Spanish descent). All three developed their early careers by not particularly advertising their family heritage.

As for Raquel Welch the actress, I know her only from her work in the past couple of decades. Legally Blonde comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

The film lost each of its 7 Oscar nominations the same year that Forrest Gump won Best Picture. I mention this because Raquel Welch figures into the plot of the Stephen King novella and the Winston Groom novel from which these two movies are based. The Academy rewarded the film that left her out.

It's also interesting that when choosing poster subjects, Andy Dufresne -- or maybe Stephen King -- has a type: Rita Hayworth (father from Spain), Raquel Welch (father from Bolivia, of Spanish descent), and Linda Ronstadt in the novella (father from Mexico, partly of Spanish descent). All three developed their early careers by not particularly advertising their family heritage.

As for Raquel Welch the actress, I know her only from her work in the past couple of decades. Legally Blonde comes to mind.
    She was a legend in my own mind.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

We might as well include the poster.

0007304677_10.jpg

A word of advice to any present undergraduates looking for posters to hang in your dorm rooms: don't use this one unless you expect your guests to behave themselves. You could end up with damage to your wall (in the older dorms*) or damage to hands (in the newer ones), neither of which is worth the hassle, I can assure you.

*On further reflection, probably damage to hands as well