Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodman Fired??

Goodman Fired??

The front page has an article which states Jeff Goodman was fired (he sent DM's to a DePaul fan who did a "documentary" about Providence saying the fan could be sued, might be wearing an orange jumpsuit and suggesting Goodman would look him up over the summer because the film repeated widespread rumors that Cooley left Providence for Georgetown because his wife gave him an ultimatum to move or get divorced because of an affair).

Goodman's shtick is being a complete jerk and he now is trying to use his prominence to make his daughter a Nepo journalist so I would be fine if he were fired for his poor behavior, but he was on the Field of 68 podcast and the Stadium late night YouTube last night so am not sure he has been fired. Interestingly he is drawing major criticism from Dave Portnoy and Bar Stool, so it basically is Jerk v. Jerk. It does show how over the top Goodman's reaction was that he ceded the moral high ground to Bar Stool.

So the article says he was fired from a podcast. His LinkedIn profile says he’s a basketball “insider” for Stadium. Idk who stadium is but did he lose his only job or just get kicked off the podcast? I’ve watched the podcast on YouTube some and Goodman’s whole schtick is being contrary and ornery. I doubt his “popularity” suffers for this so I’m guessing he’ll find another landing spot but maybe not with a network. Maybe Bleacher?

I found out about this story yesterday on a CFB discord page I follow. We couldn't ever determine exactly what the cause for Goodman's anger was (didn't know he was friends with the Gtown coach). I'd not defend the integrity of the documentarian since he won't put his name to it, but Goodman definitely issued some threats about finding him and making sure he would get sued.

I have met Jeff Goodman in person and can tell you that 1) he is one of the most generous and kind people in the industry, and 2) he is playing a schtick in his public persona. It is an intentional play on his part and he does it well from my point of view. Off camera, he is the kind of person that would give you the shirt off his back.

Saying that he is trying to prop up his daughter is off base to me. His daughter wants to become a sports journalist, just like her dad. He supports her as any father would. She's in college at Indiana. Let's leave her out of this, shall we?

Goodman has a long, long history of developing relationships with coaches. That's his main asset as a journalist. This goes back to his time covering high school recruiting. Lots of coaches wanted to get in touch with him and he's maintained those relationships over the decades. Of course he is going to defend a coach. I would just caution anyone to let it play out before deciding to judge Goodman or even this anonymous documentarian. There are a lot of missing pieces of information in this story right now. Maybe I'm wrong about Goodman. But I don't know anything about this documentary or its creator. Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Goodman has a long, long history of developing relationships with coaches. That's his main asset as a journalist. This goes back to his time covering high school recruiting. Lots of coaches wanted to get in touch with him and he's maintained those relationships over the decades. Of course he is going to defend a coach. I would just caution anyone to let it play out before deciding to judge Goodman or even this anonymous documentarian. There are a lot of missing pieces of information in this story right now. Maybe I'm wrong about Goodman.
    So you are saying he's Trilly Donavan?

I was under the impression that Goodman co-founded the Field of 68 with Rob Dauster. I guess that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I have met Jeff Goodman in person and can tell you that 1) he is one of the most generous and kind people in the industry, and 2) he is playing a schtick in his public persona. It is an intentional play on his part and he does it well from my point of view. Off camera, he is the kind of person that would give you the shirt off his back.

Saying that he is trying to prop up his daughter is off base to me. His daughter wants to become a sports journalist, just like her dad. He supports her as any father would. She's in college at Indiana. Let's leave her out of this, shall we?

Goodman has a long, long history of developing relationships with coaches. That's his main asset as a journalist. This goes back to his time covering high school recruiting. Lots of coaches wanted to get in touch with him and he's maintained those relationships over the decades. Of course he is going to defend a coach. I would just caution anyone to let it play out before deciding to judge Goodman or even this anonymous documentarian. There are a lot of missing pieces of information in this story right now. Maybe I'm wrong about Goodman. But I don't know anything about this documentary or its creator. Patience.
    Well said. On the note of letting it play out, the front page sort of jumped the gun on the whole “Goodman fired” thing. They didn’t link to any substantiating evidence and there doesn’t appear to be any out there from what I can see. Maybe we should slow down before throwing out a big claim like that.

Just to add a few observations.

Awful Announcing has been trying to cover the story.
    https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...f-goodman.html

From what I can piece together, it might be John Fanta who was recorded for the doc. Fanta is young, emerging college basketball media voice who does play-by-play for Fox, with a focus on the Big East, and is also a big part of Goodman and Dauster's "Field of 68" media network. Fanta's father died suddenly on Monday at the age of 56. I can imagine a scenario where Goodman, trying to stick up for his friend Fanta who had just suffered a devastating loss, went overboard.

-Goodman and Rob Dauster ARE the Field of 68 podcast network. It's their business. If you haven't checked it out, I strongly recommend it as they have many different pods including one devoted to Duke Basketball called "Crazie Cast". I think the Duke pod is OK, the hosts can be a little polarizing, and tend to be very critical of the Duke team. But, almost every single night, the "Field of 68 After Dark" pod goes live around 10-11PM and covers what happened that night. It's my go-to for instant reaction to what is happening in the sport. Aside from Goodman and Dauster you have young legend-in-the-making Fanta, former Clemson Tiger turned media man Terrence Ogelsby, Randolph Childress, former coaches Chris Mack and Josh Pastner, a few former Tar Heels I won't mention by name even though I think they do a very good job in their analysis (and are very fair when talking about us, while getting in some barbs). So, I am not sure Goodman could be fired from his own company.

Agree with DBA in his characterization of Goodman. He plays the heel but seems like a really good dude, and I am basing that on all the college basketball journalists and coaches who seem to really like him.

I would like to be clear that I have never, to my knowledge, met JG. He often plays a prick on the podcasts, which may be exaggerated a la Larry David on Curb. I do not think he has been fired, and was simply raising that question. JG even posted a brief statement kinda sort of admitting he was wrong, but I think the premature death of John Fanta's father understandably overwhelmed the F68 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I was under the impression that Goodman co-founded the Field of 68 with Rob Dauster. I guess that wasn't the case.
    I listened to the Field of 68 podcast yesterday because they led with the result of Duke-VPI. Dauster started saying something went down, he didnt like it, but time to move on. Doug Gottlieb was on and says, I'll say it - Some fans are dbags and take things too far, went after someone's job, and that's what happened here. Neither mentioned Jeff Goodman by name, so I was fairly confused not knowing any of it.

I would assume Field of 68 is probably owned and run by a media company or investor group even if Dauster and Goodman founded it and are the face of it.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Just to add a few observations.

Awful Announcing has been trying to cover the story.
    https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...f-goodman.html

From what I can piece together, it might be John Fanta who was recorded for the doc. Fanta is young, emerging college basketball media voice who does play-by-play for Fox, with a focus on the Big East, and is also a big part of Goodman and Dauster's "Field of 68" media network. Fanta's father died suddenly on Monday at the age of 56. I can imagine a scenario where Goodman, trying to stick up for his friend Fanta who had just suffered a devastating loss, went overboard.

-Goodman and Rob Dauster ARE the Field of 68 podcast network. It's their business. If you haven't checked it out, I strongly recommend it as they have many different pods including one devoted to Duke Basketball called "Crazie Cast". I think the Duke pod is OK, the hosts can be a little polarizing, and tend to be very critical of the Duke team. But, almost every single night, the "Field of 68 After Dark" pod goes live around 10-11PM and covers what happened that night. It's my go-to for instant reaction to what is happening in the sport. Aside from Goodman and Dauster you have young legend-in-the-making Fanta, former Clemson Tiger turned media man Terrence Ogelsby, Randolph Childress, former coaches Chris Mack and Josh Pastner, a few former Tar Heels I won't mention by name even though I think they do a very good job in their analysis (and are very fair when talking about us, while getting in some barbs). So, I am not sure Goodman could be fired from his own company.

Agree with DBA in his characterization of Goodman. He plays the heel but seems like a really good dude, and I am basing that on all the college basketball journalists and coaches who seem to really like him.
    Next time the board gets up in arms about a comment from either Jay (Bilas or Williams) that isn't as Duke friendly as we'd like, we'd all be well suited to recall that everyone in sports media is, for better or worse, "playing a role." I don't think that affects either man's love of Duke University, or who they're rooting for when they're off the clock.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Next time the board gets up in arms about a comment from either Jay (Bilas or Williams) that isn't as Duke friendly as we'd like, we'd all be well suited to recall that everyone in sports media is, for better or worse, "playing a role." I don't think that affects either man's love of Duke University, or who they're rooting for when they're off the clock.
    It's definitely to boost their Q-rating with Duke haters (most basketball fans). But Grant Hill never talks bad about Duke and he's the most successful Duke alum in TV, so maybe Bilas and Jay Will are overthinking it. Then again, it's pretty hard to dislike Grant Hill.

maybe JWill is just happy to have his ESPN gig. I'm not sure why he has it since he just isn't that insightful, but that's OK. When Jay was starring at Duke, I got to know his mom pretty well,we were always running into each other at ACC Tournament time, and she'd make a great announcer...funny and insightful woman...

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yes, it's a role. That does not mitigate my nausea over it. In fact, that may be the cause of my nausea. He's over compensating. His true feelings were never relevant, and are not relevant, when he's playing a role. It's the role we don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    \ Interestingly he is drawing major criticism from Dave Portnoy and Bar Stool, so it basically is Jerk v. Jerk. It does show how over the top Goodman's reaction was that he ceded the moral high ground to Bar Stool.
    and that's not a fair fight anyway. Portnoy is the Amazon of this world, and Goodman is an employee at a local Home Depot...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    maybe JWill is just happy to have his ESPN gig. I'm not sure why he has it since he just isn't that insightful, but that's OK. When Jay was starring at Duke, I got to know his mom pretty well,we were always running into each other at ACC Tournament time, and she'd make a great announcer...funny and insightful woman...
    On 11/28/2000, my wife and I were going to a concert at the Greensboro Memorial Auditorium, which has been torn down for years now. k.d. lang was the headliner. When we arrived, lang had to cancel for some reason, and Lucinda Williams was the star performer that night. I don't remember if she was on the bill as the opener or not. It wasn't long after the release of Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, so maybe.

Anyway, I had bought the tickets before I knew Duke and Illinois were playing at the Coliseum next door that night. I was bummed out. A refund was offered. I'd just become a big fan of Lucinda, so it was a tough decision. We ended up taking the refund, and immediately walked over to the Coliseum to buy Duke tickets minutes before the start of the game. As luck would have it, Duke had just returned a couple tickets right next to Mrs. Williams. Mr. Boozer was close by. Those were the tickets we bought.

My wife talked to Jason's mom quite often and we both high-fived with several family members during the game. No. 1 Duke eked out a win against Illinois, and I ended up seeing Lucinda at several venues later on. Never did get to see k.d. in person, though.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    On 11/28/2000, my wife and I were going to a concert at the Greensboro Memorial Auditorium, which has been torn down for years now. k.d. lang was the headliner. When we arrived, lang had to cancel for some reason, and Lucinda Williams was the star performer that night. I don't remember if she was on the bill as the opener or not. It wasn't long after the release of Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, so maybe.

Anyway, I had bought the tickets before I knew Duke and Illinois were playing at the Coliseum next door that night. I was bummed out. A refund was offered. I'd just become a big fan of Lucinda, so it was a tough decision. We ended up taking the refund, and immediately walked over to the Coliseum to buy Duke tickets minutes before the start of the game. As luck would have it, Duke had just returned a couple tickets right next to Mrs. Williams. Mr. Boozer was close by. Those were the tickets we bought.

My wife talked to Jason's mom quite often and we both high-fived with several family members during the game. No. 1 Duke eked out a win against Illinois, and I ended up seeing Lucinda at several venues later on. Never did get to see k.d. in person, though.
    Awesome story. And a great game. That was the first Duke game I ever attended so it’s always been a stand-out memory to me. Based on how long it took us to get into the Coliseum, I’m amazed you found tickets at all.

Lucinda

I dragged three friends to see Lucinda a few months before Car Wheels was released, at the Birchmere, a nice small venue in Alexandria, VA. My friends didn't know her music, but became big fans.

To get back on topic, sort of, I don't think any Duke basketball parents were there, but perhaps I am wrong.

That 2000 ACC Big Ten Challenge game

I drove up from Atlanta to watch that game featuring my two favorite teams. My father played for the Illini during the 45-46 season and I grew up attending many UI games. A one point win for the Devils. The next day Skip Bayless (whose brother Rick owns the famous Frontera Grill) in the Chicago Sun Times opined that both teams appeared less than impressive in a boring wrestling match of a game( paraphrasing here through the mists of time). What a tool. Of course that season Duke when on to defeat Arizona in the NCAA finals the Wildcats having edged the 1 seed Illini in the midwest regional final.

Lucinda Williams was here in Atlanta last weekend for two shows at the Variety Playhouse. Home recovering from Covid, alas I was unable to attend either show.

If someone asked you to connect Jeff Goodman to Lucinda Williams ala Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, could you do it?