Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can Ryan Young dunk?

has anyone seen him dunk a basketball even in practice? My friends and I were debating it. He has great moves around the basket without dunking and it doesn't matter but I am just curious
    Last edited by JBDuke; 01-29-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeinla View Post
    has anyone seen him dunk a basketball even in practice? My friends and I were debating it. He has great moves around the basket without dunking and it doesn't matter but I am just curious
    Yes, he can dunk. He just prefers to get the shot up and on the glass quickly rather than elevating to dunk and risking getting stuffed by better leaders.

I have asked this same question. There have been a few times where he was wide open and had enough momentum to dunk but didn’t. I’m really not sure. If I had to bet I would say he can but I’m not sure. These are the things that keep me up at night…

Yes, he can dunk.

This question was asked of JJ. So he dunked on a breakaway (at home against MD in '06, I think). He has since said that his legs were so much weaker later in the game that it affirmed his choice to not dunk.

Ryan is way taller, so he may not have that issue. But if it requires a lot more energy from him for the same result, I get just laying it in.

'Ryan is way taller, so he may not have that issue. But if it requires a lot more energy from him for the same result, I get just laying it in."

2 points is 2 points. Personally, I like his old school game.

He likes to get the shot up really quickly, almost releases it while he's still on the way up. I think for him to dunk he would have to gather and load before jumping, then get up over top of the rim and by then the defender would have just a split second to recover which may be the difference in blocking it. Two points is still two points, plus they often don't allow dunking at the YMCA.

Big fan of Ryan Young—he’s been a key to the success of the season so far. With more success to come.

As for the dunking, I recall that same question only being asked of a couple of former players, JJ and Hurley. There may be others, but that’s rarified air in Durham.

After playing over seas, Young has a long YMCA career ahead of him- needs to perfect that below the rim game.

I'll admit I've wondered. I mean, surely he *can* dunk. I agree with others who note his approach of getting his shot off quickly. Still, he's had 3-5 uncontested chances this year - chances that you would expect a big man to dunk 90% of the time - and still he laid it up. Per Torvik he's attempted 83 shots at the rim, and made 63 of them, but hasn't tried a dunk yet. That is really unusual for a guy his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I'll admit I've wondered. I mean, surely he *can* dunk. I agree with others who note his approach of getting his shot off quickly. Still, he's had 3-5 uncontested chances this year - chances that you would expect a big man to dunk 90% of the time - and still he laid it up. Per Torvik he's attempted 83 shots at the rim, and made 63 of them, but hasn't tried a dunk yet. That is really unusual for a guy his size.
    He dunked twice last year. He can (and has) dunked.

I linked a video above. He can dunk.

At 6'10" and a reach of around 8'9", Young only has to jump about 15" to touch the rim, maybe 21" to dunk. I doubt his vertical is much more than 24" so there's not much room to spare. He probably doesn't normally try to dunk unless its an uncontested breakaway. His two dunks shown in last year's highlights were wide open and in-stride. You could say that he maximizes his verticality mostly below the rim.

So many moves!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I linked a video above. He can dunk.
    Old Phil Kap, Thank you for posting this video. Not only does it settle the "can he dunk?" question, I am impressed by how many savvy, skillful moves he shows. Over and over, he adroitly and with strength gains better position and then deftly buckets it, either off the glass or through a teardrop.

I don't know why I have been surprised by his many skillful makes. That's on me. This guy can get buckets in all sorts of ways.

IMO, he has been one of our three most valuable players. The other two are Filipowski and Roach, when he's healthy.

Next question: Can he shoot 3's?
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Old Phil Kap, Thank you for posting this video. Not only does it settle the "can he dunk?" question, I am impressed by how many savvy, skillful moves he shows. Over and over, he adroitly and with strength gains better position and then deftly buckets it, either off the glass or through a teardrop.

I don't know why I have been surprised by his many skillful makes. That's on me. This guy can get buckets in all sorts of ways.

IMO, he has been one of our three most valuable players. The other two are Filipowski and Roach, when he's healthy.

Is it just me, or has it seemed like Ryan was thinking hard about a few 3s against Tech? I’ve noticed him give it thought occasionally, but always think better of it. He’s a good FT shooter, so maybe that’s buried in his bag of tricks?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Is it just me, or has it seemed like Ryan was thinking hard about a few 3s against Tech? I’ve noticed him give it thought occasionally, but always think better of it. He’s a good FT shooter, so maybe that’s buried in his bag of tricks?
    He's holding it for the Sweet 16?

Derek just couldn't wait, apparently.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    In three years at Northwestern, Young went 5 for 29 from 3-pt range (17.2%). He has yet to attempt a 3 at Duke.

He has improved his FT shooting from 68.9% at NW to 81.4% at Duke, so maybe there is hope for some 3's eventually.

I came upon this short video featuring Ryan at Northwestern...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXLJmJQqqE4

Great get for Coach Scheyer and Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    After playing over seas, Young has a long YMCA career ahead of him- needs to perfect that below the rim game.
    Interesting you should say that. Just this weekend I read in the Durham Morning Herald that the Durham YMCA just retired Ryan's torn tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Interesting you should say that. Just this weekend I read in the Durham Morning Herald that the Durham YMCA just retired Ryan's torn tee shirt.
    You're not really a star until they retire your "skin".
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!