Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 86, Ga Tech 43 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

We needed a game like this! We needed a road win like this!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We needed a game like this! We needed a road win like this!
    That was joyful to watch.
    Team ball. Proctor good competent floor general. Lively I hope continues this trajectory. Grandison was very productive and Young converted a few. .Blakes Schutt and Reeves got playing time and acquitted themselves well. The support of Flip and Roach all stepped up. Tough stretch ahead but a game like this was gratifying. Should boost their confidence

Lord have mercy, that was satisfying to watch...

Hopefully something to build on. Nice game by Lively. Regardless of the opponent- a 43 point road win is really impressive. The D was stout.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Safe to say the most satisfying win of the year given the circumstances?

The headline is what certainly seemed liked Dereck’s coming out party. But Jon deserves credit for feeling that coming and putting him in the starting lineup, and also designing a ton of great plays against the zone to use him (and others) to perfection. I know feel a lot better about our chances on the road against Syracuse than I did 2 hours ago.

Also: Jeremy looked healthier today than he has in a while, not only via his performance but in how he was moving on the court. Let’s hope that continues.

Jacob also made some nice plays in Dariq’s stead. If we get him back sooner rather than later, which the tea leaves seem to be indicating, we could be back to having the luxury of having Ryan, Dariq, and Jacob off the bench.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

5 thoughts...

1. GaTech is not a good team, and it showed. But the Devils did what they were capable of doing, and they absolutely whomped Tech. It's great to get an easy one, finally. And a road win is a road win, and is always positive!

2. The blowout yielded the ability to give Flip some much needed rest. My only nitpick of the entire game are his 3 TO's, but I've come to accept this as a possibility from him each game (though I'm sure he is working on it). Duke overall only had 9 turns.

3. Proctor had 8 assists and no TOs. Great PG game!... Roach also could rest his foot. His two 3's set the tone from the outset... Lively played like the #1 kid out of high school... Mitchell stuffed the stat sheet as usual... Sure, it was all against a weak team, but like I said they did what they are capable of doing. Great for team confidence!

4. Grandison played very well. I saw a few hockey assists where he set up the man who set up the man who scored. As usual, he was in the right place at the right time, and he contributed scoring as well. I am very comfortable with him on the court at any time.

5. Great to also see the bench get some minutes. Nothing special to see from them that warrants any more minutes this season, but it rewards them for their hard work.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

OK, then.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 63.6 (slow; 4th straight game under 66.5 (and 5th out of 6); third straight game under 64)
    oRtg: 1.35 (1.36 adjusted; excellent; 15 points per 100 possessions better than the #1 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 63.1% (fantabulous; best eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 39.1% (excellent, for the 3rd straight game)
    2pt%: 65.8% (great; best 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 37.7% (a little high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 24.6% (meh)
    OR%: 43.3% (super duper)
    TO%: 14.1% (outstanding; tied for 4th-best TO% of the season and fourth straight game under 16.7%)
    a/to: 2.67:1 (highest a/to of the season, for the 2nd straight game)
    %assisted: 70.6% (whoa; 3rd highest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 10 (11.6% of points; adequate)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.68 (0.70 adjusted; amazing; 2nd-best adjusted dRating of the season, and almost 13 points per 100 better than the #1 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 35.5% (astounding; 2nd-best opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 22.7% (great)
    2pt%: 36.4% (incredible; 2nd-best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.0% (too high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 10.9% (excellent; 4th-best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 85.7% (outstanding; best defensive rebounding performance of the season, and 2nd straight game over 80%)
    TO%: 17.4% (so-so)
    a/to: 1.09:1
    %assisted: 70.6% (high)
    stl%: 7.9% (fair)
    blk%: 18.2% (2pt shots) (muscular; 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 11 (25.6% of points; poor)

Our offense was 15 points better than the #1 offense in the country, the equivalent of #1 for the 2nd-straight game. Our defense was 13 points better than the #1 defense in the country. So I'd say we did pretty well in an ACC road game. We didn't get to the line so much on offense, and didn't force too many turnovers (but did give up too many fast break points) on defense, but when you double up your opponent, those are very minor complaints.

Great clinic

I’m looking forward to Carolina in a week.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I’m looking forward to Carolina in a week.
    I'm looking forward to Wake on Tuesday.

How good a win was that? We jumped 15 spots on Torvik (from #46 to #31). And we are up to #25 on KenPom.

More games like that please!

Thanks, Kedsy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    OK, then.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 63.6 (slow; 4th straight game under 66.5 (and 5th out of 6); third straight game under 64)
    oRtg: 1.35 (1.36 adjusted; excellent; 15 points per 100 possessions better than the #1 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 63.1% (fantabulous; best eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 39.1% (excellent, for the 3rd straight game)
    2pt%: 65.8% (great; best 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 37.7% (a little high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 24.6% (meh)
    OR%: 43.3% (super duper)
    TO%: 14.1% (outstanding; tied for 4th-best TO% of the season and fourth straight game under 16.7%)
    a/to: 2.67:1 (highest a/to of the season, for the 2nd straight game)
    %assisted: 70.6% (whoa; 3rd highest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 10 (11.6% of points; adequate)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.68 (0.70 adjusted; amazing; 2nd-best adjusted dRating of the season, and almost 13 points per 100 better than the #1 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 35.5% (astounding; 2nd-best opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 22.7% (great)
    2pt%: 36.4% (incredible; 2nd-best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.0% (too high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 10.9% (excellent; 4th-best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 85.7% (outstanding; best defensive rebounding performance of the season, and 2nd straight game over 80%)
    TO%: 17.4% (so-so)
    a/to: 1.09:1
    %assisted: 70.6% (high)
    stl%: 7.9% (fair)
    blk%: 18.2% (2pt shots) (muscular; 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 11 (25.6% of points; poor)

Our offense was 15 points better than the #1 offense in the country, the equivalent of #1 for the 2nd-straight game. Our defense was 13 points better than the #1 defense in the country. So I'd say we did pretty well in an ACC road game. We didn't get to the line so much on offense, and didn't force too many turnovers (but did give up too many fast break points) on defense, but when you double up your opponent, those are very minor complaints.
    These stats are so enlightening. I like your game-context commentary, such as "who cares?" regarding our percentage of 3's taken. And your summary is pure dessert. Thanks!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

43 point win and doubled their score. I’ll take it! Lots to like in this one.

Glad our main guys had an easy game with plenty of rest. Quick-ish turnaround to Tuesday night. Now let’s take care of business against Wake before we look ahead to Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    43 point win and doubled their score. I’ll take it! Lots to like in this one.
    Anyone know the last time we doubled up a conference opponent? I don't remember it ever happening. Maybe Brand's sophomore year?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well the team looked great and this thread is only three pages deep.
    Last game, we sucked, and at this point the thread was only 237 pages deep.

(I think I contributed to page 179 of the last thread, in full disclosure.)

This one was so fun to watch, from start to finish. And I enunciate finish, because our guys sure did, both halves.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Anyone know the last time we doubled up a conference opponent? I don't remember it ever happening. Maybe Brand's sophomore year?
    You made me look��. We failed to double up anyone in 1998/1999; however, took down UVA 100-54 and 115-69 during regular season.

Interestingly, I recall the game at GaT that we “only” won by 8. While watching, thought we might actually lose that one.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    You made me look��. We failed to double up anyone in 1998/1999; however, took down UVA 100-54 and 115-69 during regular season.
    2017 we beat GT 110-57. Good times.

I just don't know if I'm really impressed with this win...🤣🤣

I was super annoyed when GT made a three to cut it to 30-23, when we seemed to be throwing it all over the place and missing FTs, and I guess Jon was as well when he called a time out.

After that, we outscored them 32-5 spanning the end of the first half and the beginning of the second, and then at the point it was just finding different ways to double GT on the scoreboard, from 62-31 to 68-34 to the final score.

Obviously GT is pretty terrible so I don’t want to make too much of it, but it sure was fun watching Lively and Flip and Mitchell dominate inside and finding open threes (and making them) against the junk defenses GT was throwing at us. Good to see Jeremy make threes and for even Schutt to finally make a couple of buckets (albeit in garbage time, but still).

GT just seemed to completely let go of the rope early in the second half and I’m glad we didn’t take our foot off the gas, that was a nice dominant win. Plenty of rest for our main guys is also nice given the short turnaround to the big game on Tuesday.

GT is not having a good year but it’s previous worst loss was on the road by 24 to a very good Marquette team.