Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The three turnovers foe Flip that someone mentioned, included one where Lively threw a hard pass from 6 feet , a charge call where Flip didn't lower his shoulder but the defender put his head forward (could have gone either way). I don't remember the third. Not really all that bad. He only play 26 minutes and might well have had another double-double but it wasn't needed this afternoon.
    also, another one of the turnovers credited to Flip was a bad pass from Lively that was behind Flip's head that slipped thru his hands. Should have been credited to Lively, but wasn't.
    So to your point, Flip really should have only had 1 turnover vs GT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Perhaps an outlier going forward but consider that it's not like we shot out of out mind (unlike VaTech on Monday), 39% from 3 and a ho hum FT%. That's perhaps what has me most hopeful looking to the rest to the season.
    This is the reverse outlier of NCSU. Torvik rated GT a 0 even when they have some 20's. GT isn't going to fire Pastner because they don't have the money to do it. They just fired their football coach.

Louisville has to be dancing in the streets. They have two games left against GT, and I don't have confidence in Pastner to beat them twice. I'm just glad we get Louisville and GT twice next year. It's going to be hard for either team to improve beyond 12-13 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    I wanted to mention some things I saw at the game that I'm not sure would have been seen on TV.
    I'll add after my U-turn trip yesterday. GT needs to change the tradition it borrowed from Arizona.

Everyone stands chugs until GT scores in the half. Just alert Grady Memorial first.

What a great game. I can't remember the last game Duke played against a P6 opponent where they so dominated all aspects of the game. I don't think a single player had even a meh game. Everyone was good to great. Bring on Wake.

Anyone know where this games stands in terms of all-time Duke ACC road-game margin of victory?

Heck this may be up there for all-time ACC road margin?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Anyone know where this games stands in terms of all-time Duke ACC road-game margin of victory?

Heck this may be up there for all-time ACC road margin?
    Second largest ever per GoDuke.

So happy we have our point guard, who seems to be improving both decision making and shooting. Proctor 8 assist 0 turnover! Roach only 2 assist and 2 turnovers but he shot great setting the early tone for the game.

Should we care that Xavier and Miami (our two good wins) lost yesterday or is that a nothing burger?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmarkste View Post
    So happy we have our point guard, who seems to be improving both decision making and shooting. Proctor 8 assist 0 turnover! Roach only 2 assist and 2 turnovers but he shot great setting the early tone for the game.

Should we care that Xavier and Miami (our two good wins) lost yesterday or is that a nothing burger?
    It isn’t ideal that Miami lost, as it reduces the likelihood that the Canes will finish top-30 in NET (which would make our home win a Q1 win.

But there is still a lot of season to go, so who knows how it will play out.

Xavier is now (just barely) outside the Top 25 in the Net. That was our only Top 25 win, which I think appears on the team sheets the NCAA selection committee uses for evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Just curious, do you chalk up the fast break points allowed as "poor" due to the number (11, which doesn't seem all that poor to me), or due to the percentage? If so, GT only scored 43, so any FB points will be a relatively large percentage of that.
    I try to take both into account. In this case, the percentage is really bad, but I also think 11 is kind of a lot to give up. In Duke's last 18 games, opponents have only exceeded 11 fast break points in three games (16 for Ohio State, 15 for FSU, 25 for NCSU). Those are the only three games this season in which we've given up more than 12 fast break points in a game.

Xavier is now (just barely) outside the Top 25 in the Net. That was our only Top 25 win, which I think appears on the team sheets the NCAA selection committee uses for evaluation.
    Xavier was played on a neutral court, so we just need them to stay in the top 50 to remain a quad 1 win. But from an optics standpoint it is our best win so we’d like for it to “feel” like a great win to the committee.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    More problematic is that Ohio State lost again and is now just barely in the Top 30. Not sure how with 10 losses, but that’s buried in the black box, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I was really impressed by Coach Scheyer in this game. I watched the UNC-Syracuse game the other day and saw UNCs bigs pass really well to each other against the zone. I said to myself that I hope Scheyer would be able to coach effectively against the zone. This game certainly answered that question for me, but the bigger test will be doing it against Cuse. We did a great job at getting the ball to Flip near the free throw line. Young is also fantastic to have against a zone. He's a great passer.

Scheyer also used his timeouts very effectively. My Dad used to praise Joe Torre for pulling the starting pitcher right before he got hit up for a few runs, not after. GT started to make that run in the first half and Scheyer immediately called one to nip it in the bud. Even more experienced coaches can be really bad at that at times. Why take the risk of the run continuing. It's not like you need to prepare your team for games in the future where you don't have any timeouts. You always have them. It's a rare end game scenario where you run out and have none in the last 60 seconds. You're not preparing them for anything (Roy) by teaching them to play without timeouts.

Side note: I attended the game in McCamish and it was my first time there. What a bad college basketball environment. They insist on blasting music for about 10 seconds after every single whistle. They seemed to do everything they could to make it feel like an NBA game. The band was minimized. I'm sure the energy would have been different if Duke was a #1 team coming to town, but it was pretty sad in there.

One interesting thing was that they had an app where you could order food to be delivered to your seat. The solution for the mess at Wallace Wade is similar. I don't think delivery is a good idea, but you should be required to order your food on an app. Then just go show your order number and pick up your food. The huge wait at the concessions comes from people giving their order and taking out their card to pay. Eliminate cashiers and use that extra manpower to prepare the orders. Bing bong boom, problem solved. Oh, and for the people who are resistant to technology, you can have one concession stand for the whole stadium where those folks can choose to stand in a long line for no reason if they want to.
    Last edited by Southgate0809; 01-29-2023 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Side note: I attended the game in McCamish and it was my first time there. What a bad college basketball environment. They insist on blasting music for about 10 seconds after every single whistle. They seemed to do everything they could to make it feel like an NBA game. The band was minimized. I'm sure the energy would have been different if Duke was a #1 team coming to town, but it was pretty sad in there.
    Oh! One thing I wanted to point out about the game that was NOT sad is that at least 60% of the crowd was wearing Duke Blue. It really seemed like if you weren't a cheerleader or in the student section around the band, you were there for Duke.

I'm afraid you are spoiled rotten. That is the norm at every P5 college basketball venue I've attended (16). All that was missing was Mo Bamba before free throws and Red Panda at halftime for the 4th time this year. The days of pre-video board Cameron with Dr. Chandler (RIP) are Dust in the Wind.

One interesting thing was that they had an app where you could order food to be delivered to your seat. The solution for the mess at Wallace Wade is similar.
    Or just allow Uber Eats delivery with a heavy surcharge on the App to compensate for revenue loss to the school. It's rare that any food in a basketball stadium is worth it, and supplying the World's Largest Beer Pong Tournament is facing major challenges with all the prepackaged Pepsi/Coke instead of fountain drinks with souvenir cups.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    More problematic is that Ohio State lost again and is now just barely in the Top 30. Not sure how with 10 losses, but that’s buried in the black box, haha.
    Yeah at this point OSU might not finish the regular season above .500. They have a lot of games in which you don’t have to squint hard to see a loss happening.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah at this point OSU might not finish the regular season above .500. They have a lot of games in which you don’t have to squint hard to see a loss happening.
    And yet, the metrics still love them, apparently… as they’re still in the NET Top 30. Teams ranked that high typically make the tourney, so it’s likely that either their metrics will start translating into wins or their NET will start to plummet to match their record. For Duke’s sake let’s hope it’s the former.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

We're not done with January yet. Key game vs Wake coming up and then the Tarheels. This mostly young Duke team is improving and coming off a really good performance. Key players like Lively and Proctor are making great strides.

Can we focus on the team and the games for now? Let Lunardi obsess about tournament selection minutiae.

I was really impressed by Coach Scheyer in this game. I watched the UNC-Syracuse game the other day and saw UNCs bigs pass really well to each other against the zone. I said to myself that I hope Scheyer would be able to coach effectively against the zone. This game certainly answered that question for me, but the bigger test will be doing it against Cuse. We did a great job at getting the ball to Flip near the free throw line. Young is also fantastic to have against a zone. He's a great passer.

Scheyer also used his timeouts very effectively. My Dad used to praise Joe Torre for pulling the starting pitcher right before he got hit up for a few runs, not after. GT started to make that run in the first half and Scheyer immediately called one to nip it in the bud. Even more experienced coaches can be really bad at that at times. Why take the risk of the run continuing. It's not like you need to prepare your team for games in the future where you don't have any timeouts. You always have them. It's a rare end game scenario where you run out and have none in the last 60 seconds. You're not preparing them for anything (Roy) by teaching them to play without timeouts.

One interesting thing was that they had an app where you could order food to be delivered to your seat. The solution for the mess at Wallace Wade is similar. I don't think delivery is a good idea, but you should be required to order your food on an app. Then just go show your order number and pick up your food. The huge wait at the concessions comes from people giving their order and taking out their card to pay. Eliminate cashiers and use that extra manpower to prepare the orders. Bing bong boom, problem solved. Oh, and for the people who are resistant to technology, you can have one concession stand for the whole stadium where those folks can choose to stand in a long line for no reason if they want to.
    Have you been to Cameron lately? You might find that to be a bad environment too.

I thought the environment at Tech was pretty fun yesterday. They stink, so they do what they can with some on court games/distractions during the TV timeouts, as well as some fun jumbotron silly stuff during the coach-called timeouts.

I thought the band had a stronger presence than it does these days in Cameron, unfortunately.

Oh! One thing I wanted to point out about the game that was NOT sad is that at least 60% of the crowd was wearing Duke Blue. It really seemed like if you weren't a cheerleader or in the student section around the band, you were there for Duke.
    Most of the crowd was for Duke. If you live in Atlanta, I highly recommend getting tickets on StubHub, every year, to go see the Blue Devils. Also, seats in Sections 108-110, rows 13-23 grant you access to the Callaway Club with unlimited food and drink, including wine and beer. It's a lot of fun and is filled with Duke fans, which always strikes me as hilarious.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Have you been to Cameron lately? You might find that to be a bad environment too.

I thought the environment at Tech was pretty fun yesterday. They stink, so they do what they can with some on court games/distractions during the TV timeouts, as well as some fun jumbotron silly stuff during the coach-called timeouts.

I thought the band had a stronger presence than it does these days in Cameron, unfortunately.

Most of the crowd was for Duke. If you live in Atlanta, I highly recommend getting tickets on StubHub, every year, to go see the Blue Devils. Also, seats in Sections 108-110, rows 13-23 grant you access to the Callaway Club with unlimited food and drink, including wine and beer. It's a lot of fun and is filled with Duke fans, which always strikes me as hilarious.
    I make at least 1 trip to Cameron a year. I know people don't like the music blasting during timeouts, but GA Tech was doing that after every single dead ball, not just timeouts. I've never seen that in a college game.