Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Loved seeing Lively have another really strong game. That is 2 of his last 3, which is a really promising sign moving forward.
    I really like this no foul version of Dereck. Well almost (only 2). He was one point away from a double double. Don’t you think Coach should have left him on? Also he was a beast around the basket and some of his rebounds were really critical to help Duke get a good start.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Hopefully a confidence builder to finish the season strong. Sometimes you need to feel something like that to know what you are capable of. Couldn't come at a better time. Payback is lurking for the Deacs and the L earlier this year and payback to the Holes for last year's ending. Big week ahead with a great tone set today!

Not a good look for Josh Pastner, to have your team give up in the 2nd half

Yeah this and the Miami game are the reason Lively was the #1 recruit. At his best, he is a game-changing defensive player with the ability to affect the game on offense with the lob threat. For whatever reason, whether it was health or just figuring out his timing and avoiding foul trouble, it hasn’t shown up much. But man, if his play against Miami and Tech starts happening regularly, we get a lot more interesting.

The last couple of weeks haven’t resulted in a lot of wins, but there have been several promising developments:
    - the aforementioned improvement from Lively
    - the return of Roach
    - the improvement of Proctor, who is establishing himself as a solid PG
    - Flip getting SO much more efficient

And today Grandison really found a groove passing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To be fair, he was out of timeouts with 17 minutes left.

Dereck Lively responded very well to being a starter. Not only did he swat a few but GT quit challenging him because of his blocking capabilities.

Well executed gameplan against an inferior opponent. Every rotation guy contributed and we moved the ball extremely well. That's what I like to see.

If Lively can play like this more consistently, it really changes the team. I believe GTech was stuck on 25 points well into the 2nd half. That's Lively's effect on our defense.

OK, then.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 63.6 (slow; 4th straight game under 66.5 (and 5th out of 6); third straight game under 64)
    oRtg: 1.35 (1.36 adjusted; excellent; 15 points per 100 possessions better than the #1 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 63.1% (fantabulous; best eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 39.1% (excellent, for the 3rd straight game)
    2pt%: 65.8% (great; best 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 37.7% (a little high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 24.6% (meh)
    OR%: 43.3% (super duper)
    TO%: 14.1% (outstanding; tied for 4th-best TO% of the season and fourth straight game under 16.7%)
    a/to: 2.67:1 (highest a/to of the season, for the 2nd straight game)
    %assisted: 70.6% (whoa; 3rd highest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 10 (11.6% of points; adequate)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.68 (0.70 adjusted; amazing; 2nd-best adjusted dRating of the season, and almost 13 points per 100 better than the #1 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 35.5% (astounding; 2nd-best opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 22.7% (great)
    2pt%: 36.4% (incredible; 2nd-best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.0% (too high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 10.9% (excellent; 4th-best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 85.7% (outstanding; best defensive rebounding performance of the season, and 2nd straight game over 80%)
    TO%: 17.4% (so-so)
    a/to: 1.09:1
    %assisted: 70.6% (high)
    stl%: 7.9% (fair)
    blk%: 18.2% (2pt shots) (muscular; 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 11 (25.6% of points; poor)

Our offense was 15 points better than the #1 offense in the country, the equivalent of #1 for the 2nd-straight game. Our defense was 13 points better than the #1 defense in the country. So I'd say we did pretty well in an ACC road game. We didn't get to the line so much on offense, and didn't force too many turnovers (but did give up too many fast break points) on defense, but when you double up your opponent, those are very minor complaints.

Great clinic

I’m looking forward to Carolina in a week.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I’m looking forward to Carolina in a week.
    I'm looking forward to Wake on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Final score, us doubling up our opponent.

I felt sorry for the Jackets, but damn, we needed that badly.
    Nearly doubled them in rebounds and assists and won virtually every phase of the game.

How good a win was that? We jumped 15 spots on Torvik (from #46 to #31). And we are up to #25 on KenPom.

More games like that please!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I really like this no foul version of Dereck. Well almost (only 2). He was one point away from a double double. Don’t you think Coach should have left him on? Also he was a beast around the basket and some of his rebounds were really critical to help Duke get a good start.
    I was wanting him to go back up with on his 10th reb instead of passing it out just for that reason.

Really pleased with how they kept playing their game despite the lopsided score in the 2nd half. It’s easy to let a game get sloppy in that situation but even the end of the bench guys played like it was a close game.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It was the Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals out there, so I guess Pastner ended up looking like Red Klotz.

WOW!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!
    I was not expecting that!!!!
    Although I would have been pleased with a 1pt win a la BC, I had not idea that this team was capable of doubling up on an ACC opponent. On the road!!!
    Everything was great, nothing was bad! Even greater was that Dereck hit his 1st collegiate 3!!! The floodgates are open! I just wish that Kale had been able to cash in on the front end of his 1n1 FT...

The three turnovers foe Flip that someone mentioned, included one where Lively threw a hard pass from 6 feet , a charge call where Flip didn't lower his shoulder but the defender put his head forward (could have gone either way). I don't remember the third. Not really all that bad. He only play 26 minutes and might well have had another double-double but it wasn't needed this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    5 thoughts...

1. GaTech is not a good team, and it showed. But the Devils did what they were capable of doing, and they absolutely whomped Tech. It's great to get an easy one, finally. And a road win is a road win, and is always positive!

2. The blowout yielded the ability to give Flip some much needed rest. My only nitpick of the entire game are his 3 TO's, but I've come to accept this as a possibility from him each game (though I'm sure he is working on it). Duke overall only had 9 turns.

3. Proctor had 8 assists and no TOs. Great PG game!... Roach also could rest his foot. His two 3's set the tone from the outset... Lively played like the #1 kid out of high school... Mitchell stuffed the stat sheet as usual... Sure, it was all against a weak team, but like I said they did what they are capable of doing. Great for team confidence!

4. Grandison played very well. I saw a few hockey assists where he set up the man who set up the man who scored. As usual, he was in the right place at the right time, and he contributed scoring as well. I am very comfortable with him on the court at any time.

5. Great to also see the bench get some minutes. Nothing special to see from them that warrants any more minutes this season, but it rewards them for their hard work.

9F
    to be fair, on of those was a charge called on him in which he was jumping into a moving player and in his shooting motion. Very much not a charge, and a b.s. call. Flip is definitely not getting much love from the officials lately!
    (to be fair, Flip gets called for lots of charges, and the vast majority of them are properly called)

Man, this was more like it! I know the Jackets are not a very good team right now, so winning this road game in a dominant fashion was so nice to see. I love how we came out of the gate and played with confidence and took care of the ball. Lively was able to play one of his best games this season. Everyone played their roles great and nice to see the deep bench get some burn. Especially Schutt! Let’s take it to the DEACS on our home court Tuesday. Time to turn it around now and find that other gear guys. Keep it rolling!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We needed a game like this! We needed a road win like this!
    That was joyful to watch.
    Team ball. Proctor good competent floor general. Lively I hope continues this trajectory. Grandison was very productive and Young converted a few. .Blakes Schutt and Reeves got playing time and acquitted themselves well. The support of Flip and Roach all stepped up. Tough stretch ahead but a game like this was gratifying. Should boost their confidence

So many good things about this performance; what I liked best was how each player understood his role and how well the pieces fit together. An all-around team win.