Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Perhaps an outlier going forward but consider that it's not like we shot out of out mind (unlike VaTech on Monday), 39% from 3 and a ho hum FT%.

That's perhaps what has me most hopeful looking to the rest to the season.

I missed it as I was attending a double header of my two kids games. Sounds like my third grader's team played about as well as Tech. Based on how we played, perhaps I should not watch any more games if it is for the good of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I really like this no foul version of Dereck. Well almost (only 2). He was one point away from a double double. Don’t you think Coach should have left him on? Also he was a beast around the basket and some of his rebounds were really critical to help Duke get a good start.
    Loved his rebounding. If he can continue to improve that, and just keep the fouls down, we improve a lot.

Observations from attending the game

I wanted to mention some things I saw at the game that I'm not sure would have been seen on TV.

"Is Coach Scheyer too nice?"
    Coach called time out late in the first half when Tech cut the lead to 7. In the huddle he was not happy. NOT HAPPY. Mitchell in particular seemed to be getting his ire. Coach Jefferson had words with him too. I wondered if it was about finishing stronger at the rim. At the start of the second half, Duke scored a quick flurry of points punctuated by a powerful dunk from Mitchell. Tech called a quick timeout. Coach Scheyer was the first person to meet Mitchell coming over to the sidelines and gave him a chest tap (official registered Duke trademark, patent pending, all rights reserved). It looked like every time Mitchell drove in the second half, he went strong.

"Why doesn't Duke call more plays?"
    Duke called a lot of plays for the offense this game. It was interesting to see where and when they got called. Only one of the ones I noticed was called by Proctor up top in the front court during the action (a horns looking signal led to Flip getting fed the ball on a cut to the basket, and he scored). One was called by Proctor in the back court before the ball was in bounded to him. He used a hand down motion, and seemed very insistent on being sure that Schutt acknowledged it. After the ball was brought up court, they ran a play that led to an open corner three for Schutt, but unfortunately he missed it. Later I saw Coach Scheyer signaling a 1 with his left hand, and a jazz hands five with his right hand. I have no idea what that meant, but the point is that the play calls often weren't coming from where the TV cameras would be looking.

Proctor making eye goggles as he ran back down the court ("I See You!"), after a nice feed from him to Grandison for a three.

Coach Scheyer making a fist pump after the horn sounds and Duke had just closed out the first half strong.

Domination.

That's what I expected from the team this year.

GT’s defense was pretty porous but we still made plays and made shots. Hopefully s big confidence boost.

Loved Lively’s start today and Young subbing in off the bench for some nice baskets. Deadly duo. Lively looked great battling for boards today.

Mitchell is so good. Doesn’t get enough credit. Loved watching his D today. And he is very good driving the ball.

Proctor has been good at finding the open shooter all year. Now he is starting to find open cutters and open lobs much more confidently. 8 assists and 0 turnovers. His best game?

Grandison is playing his best ball of the year. Dare I say we won’t miss Dariq if Grandison and Mitchell continue playing this well?

Jeremy settling well into his Quinn cook attacking 2 guard role.

Tuesday will be very interesting to see if we’ve turned that elusive corner. No team in the country has more talent.

Finally! A complete game! Great Job!

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    43 point win and doubled their score. I’ll take it! Lots to like in this one.
    Anyone know the last time we doubled up a conference opponent? I don't remember it ever happening. Maybe Brand's sophomore year?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well the team looked great and this thread is only three pages deep.
    Last game, we sucked, and at this point the thread was only 237 pages deep.

(I think I contributed to page 179 of the last thread, in full disclosure.)

This one was so fun to watch, from start to finish. And I enunciate finish, because our guys sure did, both halves.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    to be fair, on of those was a charge called on him in which he was jumping into a moving player and in his shooting motion. Very much not a charge, and a b.s. call. Flip is definitely not getting much love from the officials lately!
    (to be fair, Flip gets called for lots of charges, and the vast majority of them are properly called)
    Perhaps. As I stated, I was nitpicking.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Perhaps an outlier going forward but consider that it's not like we shot out of out mind (unlike VaTech on Monday), 39% from 3 and a ho hum FT%.

That's perhaps what has me most hopeful looking to the rest to the season.
    Three of those misses were from Schutt. I don't expect to see him on the floor much moving forward.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Thanks, Kedsy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    OK, then.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 63.6 (slow; 4th straight game under 66.5 (and 5th out of 6); third straight game under 64)
    oRtg: 1.35 (1.36 adjusted; excellent; 15 points per 100 possessions better than the #1 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 63.1% (fantabulous; best eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 39.1% (excellent, for the 3rd straight game)
    2pt%: 65.8% (great; best 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 37.7% (a little high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 24.6% (meh)
    OR%: 43.3% (super duper)
    TO%: 14.1% (outstanding; tied for 4th-best TO% of the season and fourth straight game under 16.7%)
    a/to: 2.67:1 (highest a/to of the season, for the 2nd straight game)
    %assisted: 70.6% (whoa; 3rd highest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 10 (11.6% of points; adequate)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.68 (0.70 adjusted; amazing; 2nd-best adjusted dRating of the season, and almost 13 points per 100 better than the #1 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 35.5% (astounding; 2nd-best opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 22.7% (great)
    2pt%: 36.4% (incredible; 2nd-best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.0% (too high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 10.9% (excellent; 4th-best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 85.7% (outstanding; best defensive rebounding performance of the season, and 2nd straight game over 80%)
    TO%: 17.4% (so-so)
    a/to: 1.09:1
    %assisted: 70.6% (high)
    stl%: 7.9% (fair)
    blk%: 18.2% (2pt shots) (muscular; 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 11 (25.6% of points; poor)

Our offense was 15 points better than the #1 offense in the country, the equivalent of #1 for the 2nd-straight game. Our defense was 13 points better than the #1 defense in the country. So I'd say we did pretty well in an ACC road game. We didn't get to the line so much on offense, and didn't force too many turnovers (but did give up too many fast break points) on defense, but when you double up your opponent, those are very minor complaints.
    These stats are so enlightening. I like your game-context commentary, such as "who cares?" regarding our percentage of 3's taken. And your summary is pure dessert. Thanks!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Three of those misses were from Schutt. I don't expect to see him on the floor much moving forward.

9F
    You may be correct. However despite going 0 for 3, Jaden scored on 2 drives. He did not make any bad mistakes. I don't think he is a liability. 6'5
    https://goduke.com/sports/mens-baske...n-schutt/18357

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    You may be correct. However despite going 0 for 3, Jaden scored on 2 drives. He did not make any bad mistakes. I don't think he is a liability. 6'5
    https://goduke.com/sports/mens-baske...n-schutt/18357
    The shot selection looked good, and the misses were close. They just didn't go in.

However, there was one point where Tech spread the floor to clear the lane, and Schutt's man isolated him and posted him up down low. Schutt didn't seem big/strong enough to be able to stop him, so Tech scored an easy bucket at close range.

2 efficient offensive games in a row! I sure hope this is part of a larger trend.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Anyone know the last time we doubled up a conference opponent? I don't remember it ever happening. Maybe Brand's sophomore year?
    You made me look��. We failed to double up anyone in 1998/1999; however, took down UVA 100-54 and 115-69 during regular season.

Interestingly, I recall the game at GaT that we “only” won by 8. While watching, thought we might actually lose that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    I wanted to mention some things I saw at the game that I'm not sure would have been seen on TV.

Coach called time out late in the first half when Tech cut the lead to 7. In the huddle he was not happy. NOT HAPPY. Mitchell in particular seemed to be getting his ire. Coach Jefferson had words with him too. I wondered if it was about finishing stronger at the rim. At the start of the second half, Duke scored a quick flurry of points punctuated by a powerful dunk from Mitchell. Tech called a quick timeout. Coach Scheyer was the first person to meet Mitchell coming over to the sidelines and gave him a chest tap (official registered Duke trademark, patent pending, all rights reserved). It looked like every time Mitchell drove in the second half, he went strong.

Duke called a lot of plays for the offense this game. It was interesting to see where and when they got called. Only one of the ones I noticed was called by Proctor up top in the front court during the action (a horns looking signal led to Flip getting fed the ball on a cut to the basket, and he scored). One was called by Proctor in the back court before the ball was in bounded to him. He used a hand down motion, and seemed very insistent on being sure that Schutt acknowledged it. After the ball was brought up court, they ran a play that led to an open corner three for Schutt, but unfortunately he missed it. Later I saw Coach Scheyer signaling a 1 with his left hand, and a jazz hands five with his right hand. I have no idea what that meant, but the point is that the play calls often weren't coming from where the TV cameras would be looking.

Proctor making eye goggles as he ran back down the court ("I See You!"), after a nice feed from him to Grandison for a three.

Coach Scheyer making a fist pump after the horn sounds and Duke had just closed out the first half strong.
    Great to hear from someone who saw the game up close and personal. I especially liked your comments on Coach Scheyer talking to certain players during timeouts. It looked like he had a couple of conversations with Jeremy and of course I have no idea what the conversations were about. I wonder if he was telling him to shoot the ball? He was 4-7 on his 3-pointers but missed two other shots to go 4-9. I thought he played a solid game and he looks to be gettin healthy. Grandison impresses me with the way he plays the game. I think he's a really good passer and plays pretty good defense. Good game to get ready for payback to those Demon Deacons.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    You made me look��. We failed to double up anyone in 1998/1999; however, took down UVA 100-54 and 115-69 during regular season.
    2017 we beat GT 110-57. Good times.

Great observations from the venue!
    I was also there and saw something not mentioned up thread that may have been missed on TV.

On transition from defense to offense, Mark Mitchell stepped on Roach's foot...possibly his injured toe.
    Roach hopped on one foot two or three times and then continued running with a limp.
    Fortunately, he displayed no more signs that he was bothered by this.

Hopefully, this is a big nothing burger on an otherwise near perfect game!

The shot selection looked good, and the misses were close. They just didn't go in.
    However, there was one point where Tech spread the floor to clear the lane, and Schutt's man isolated him and posted him up down low. Schutt didn't seem big/strong enough to be able to stop him, so Tech scored an easy bucket at close range.
    The dude hit a turnaround fadeaway jumper, Schutt defended that play as well as could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    OK, then.
    DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.68 (0.70 adjusted; amazing; 2nd-best adjusted dRating of the season, and almost 13 points per 100 better than the #1 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 35.5% (astounding; 2nd-best opposing eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 22.7% (great)
    2pt%: 36.4% (incredible; 2nd-best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.0% (too high, but who cares?)
    FT rate: 10.9% (excellent; 4th-best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 85.7% (outstanding; best defensive rebounding performance of the season, and 2nd straight game over 80%)
    TO%: 17.4% (so-so)
    a/to: 1.09:1
    %assisted: 70.6% (high)
    stl%: 7.9% (fair)
    blk%: 18.2% (2pt shots) (muscular; 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 11 (25.6% of points; poor)
    Our offense was 15 points better than the #1 offense in the country, the equivalent of #1 for the 2nd-straight game. Our defense was 13 points better than the #1 defense in the country. So I'd say we did pretty well in an ACC road game. We didn't get to the line so much on offense, and didn't force too many turnovers (but did give up too many fast break points) on defense, but when you double up your opponent, those are very minor complaints.
    Just curious, do you chalk up the fast break points allowed as "poor" due to the number (11, which doesn't seem all that poor to me), or due to the percentage? If so, GT only scored 43, so any FB points will be a relatively large percentage of that.