Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but I do wonder aloud "does it matter if someone's insult is intentional?" If someone insults you unintentionally through action or word choice, do you not hold them accountable?
    Define accountable?
    If the CEO of the company I work for mispronounces my name in public, how sternly and swiftly do I correct him or her - and do I do it in public?
    I'm not sure there is a "win" in that situation for anybody by making an issue of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Define accountable?
    If the CEO of the company I work for mispronounces my name in public, how sternly and swiftly do I correct him or her - and do I do it in public?
    I'm not sure there is a "win" in that situation for anybody by making an issue of it.
    Yes, I was intending to comment on that, as well. "Accountability" isn't a unitary thing, nor are all insults equivalent, nor is the degree of offense taken by various individuals to any given insult. Unintentional wrongs surely merit less approbation than intentional ones. The law generally treats violations this way, and I would suggest that this is a human trait generally. If the insult is great enough, then we can assume a greater degree of responsibility is in order, even if we can't see the intent. On the other hand, for a minor slight, the unintentional nature of the faux pas may well may it something to simply ignore.

The example of the name mispronouncing is a good one. My wife's close colleagues have been mispronouncing her name for more than two decades, and she's never seen fit to correct them. I would have, personally, as I try hard to pronounce names correctly and prefer others show the same courtesy. But she never has seen the need to make any correction, so I simply find excuses to say her name and model the correct pronunciation for them when I'm around them, but otherwise, I keep my mouth shut. On the other hand, my wife genuinely finds some curse words very offensive, so I take a lot of care around her not to use them, even though in most contexts they don't bother me. Again, I keep my mouth shut.

Hmm. Seems like a common theme, but I'm afraid it doesn't come naturally to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Define accountable?
    Well, a name mispronunciation is a mild slight. But my point is (not on the subject of "coed" just to clarify) there are limitations to the "I didn't know that was offensive" defense. At some point, these are things you "should" know.

There are certain words and phrases that are known widely enough to be offensive that ignorance is an unacceptable explanation.

Again. This is more of a philosophical question, and does absolutely NOT apply to the conversation over the sensitive of "coed." I suppose it could apply to a mispronunciation of a last name by a coworker - depending on circumstance.

May I just say that I am female, and if anyone ever referred to me as a co-ed, I would not give a rat's heinie.

People of the world, UNCLENCH!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    May I just say that I am female, and if anyone ever referred to me as a co-ed, I would not give a rat's heinie.

Awesome comment. The thought police have taken over this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Awesome comment. The thought police have taken over this thread.
    Something certainly has.

The Dream Police?

They live inside my head.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Perhaps I missed it but has there been a
    medical explanation for what happened released? If a consequence of taking a nap could be exploding testicles, I may never take one again.
    My first thought when I heard the story was a possible inguinal hernia brought on by weightlifting (squats).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Dream Police?

They live inside my head.
    Sorry, that was a Cheap Trick.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Could not spork, must spread …

Man, this thread took a turn. Just when I thought things couldn’t get more nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Man, this thread took a turn. Just when I thought things couldn’t get more nuts.
    Gee, I thought it took a turn toward sanity.
    Last edited by Indoor66; 01-30-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    I like what you did there. I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but I do wonder aloud "does it matter if someone's insult is intentional?" If someone insults you unintentionally through action or word choice, do you not hold them accountable?
    It all depends if you are an ACC ref doing a video review.

My takeaway from this thread is that the use of the word “coed” can make people testes

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It all depends if you are an ACC ref doing a video review.
    Enjoy the sporks.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    My takeaway from this thread is that the use of the word “coed” can make people testes
    Now this is good work right here.