Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I mean come on...the guy needs a "walk up" song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwJ6OVSwkM

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I love this particular choice. Many people think of deloitte as a global accounting firm, but I'd think that an invasive deloitte IRS accounting review would be the sort of pulling-the-wisdom-teeth-without-anesthesia that would help distract almost anyone from whatever physical pain they might find troublesome.
    Comes with a quality audit.

(Spent 38 wonderful years with Deloitte, 27 as audit partner)

Great moments in NIL history.

Brevin Galloway is now selling these t-shirts online.

Galloway t-shirt 1.jpg Galloway t-shirt 2.jpg
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

And here I thought Schweddy Balls were the biggest risk to genitalia after lifting.

74EDB5E0-0520-48EB-9004-3FC085FF963D.jpg
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Do people really still refer to female University students as "co-eds?"... wow.
    What's the correct term thee days? I'm behind the times it would seem...
    I at least want to know the term I am intentionally not going to be using.

The term “co-ed” is a lot simpler than saying “a student who appears to be female (but may or not self-identify as one)” it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    What's the correct term thee days? I'm behind the times it would seem...
    I at least want to know the term I am intentionally not going to be using.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The term “co-ed” is a lot simpler than saying “a student who appears to be female (but may or not self-identify as one)” it seems to me.
    i mean, sure, it's simple. Seeing as how we just started allowing women to tag along for education and all. You know, not regular students. We need a special name to indicate they don't really belong.

In most contexts "student", "woman", or "female student" would work fine. Maybe those phrases are too complicated for some though.

And Wilko - good on you for refusing to go along!!!

i mean, sure, it's simple. Seeing as how we just started allowing women to tag along for education and all. You know, not regular students. We need a special name to indicate they don't really belong.

In most contexts "student", "woman", or "female student" would work fine. Maybe those phrases are too complicated for some though.

I suppose you could use the term "better student" since females tend to congregate in the upper half of GPA listings.

I probably shouldn't have writ that, but I'm a sucker for a punch line.

“co-“ to me connotes equal, not inferior. But reasonable minds can obviously differ so I’ll move on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “co-“ to me connotes equal, not inferior. But reasonable minds can obviously differ so I’ll move on.
    The term came from the shift to the co educational model, allowing women to attend previously all male schools. No one ever called the men co-eds. It was referring to the newly allowed females. I didn’t say anything about inferior, but the term is clearly meant to distinguish women from the regular students.

It's definitely an anachronism at this point to call female students "coeds" but it's still acceptable to refer to an institution as "coeducational" since that simply suggests both males and females attend. So, while there may be no ill intent on its usage and it was more common in the past, many view it as a derogatory term nowadays. Standards and language use certainly evolves, so I wouldn't necessarily harshly judge someone for not knowing the latest, but they should also be open to being educated about how others perceive it and the history behind it. They can certainly take it or leave it, but at least they can no longer claim ignorance. Certainly coeds is far from the worst word out there, but it doesn't mean it should be part of standard vernacular in one's usage. You can decide where you want to draw the line on updating your usage of terms (see: master bedroom -> primary bedroom), but it's at least good to be educated on the thought process/interpretation by others so you're not taken by surprise.

Unfortunate

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I love this particular choice. Many people think of deloitte as a global accounting firm, but I'd think that an invasive deloitte IRS accounting review would be the sort of pulling-the-wisdom-teeth-without-anesthesia that would help distract almost anyone from whatever physical pain they might find troublesome.
    I worked for Deloitte for two years a long time ago, but unfortunately they did not hand out what this kid’s having. It would have made the work a lot more entertaining.

Perhaps I missed it but has there been a
    medical explanation for what happened released? If a consequence of taking a nap could be exploding testicles, I may never take one again.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Perhaps I missed it but has there been a
    medical explanation for what happened released? If a consequence of taking a nap could be exploding testicles, I may never take one again.
    He said it was shortly after when lifting weights in his (hilarious) video. It's refered to as "testicular torsion". It's rare and I guess can occur after vigorous activity or sleep (maybe if you're in a very poor position somehow for a long time). Quick surgery is key.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 01-29-2023 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He said it was shortly after when lifting weights in his (hilarious) video. It's refered to as "testicular torsion". It's rare and I guess can occur after vigorous activity or sleep (maybe if you're in a very poor position somehow for a long time). Quick surgery is key.
    had me some testicular torsion when I was 16, quite painful, did get an operation...in retrospect the episode was not without some comical moments like when some nice do-gooder came into the room wanting to know my situation, then she saw the ice bag and the "tennis ball." Hasty exit.

For those who may care, medically, there are these things on the side of the individual nuts called appendices testes(aka "fat tabs") and when they get twisted, ouch...in my case, nothing as ambitious as lifting weights, I just had a crappy old couch I sank into and stuff got twisted up. Painful walk to the infirmary.

Upon occasion and when properly inspired, I can be a witty and clever fellow. If it were my actual intent to to disparage women (real or imagined sleights) on campus (any campus) I'm fair sure I would have used different words entirely, so there's no ambiguity.

Archaic words uses aside, you are just busting my chops over this because you feel you can. Perhaps you are overthinking it. No one here was intentionally insulted or harassed.

Sarcasm. I love sarcasm.

Upon occasion and when properly inspired, I can be a witty and clever fellow. If it were my actual intent to to disparage women (real or imagined sleights) on campus (any campus) I'm fair sure I would have used different words entirely, so there's no ambiguity.

Archaic words uses aside, you are just busting my chops over this because you feel you can. Perhaps you are overthinking it. No one here was intentionally insulted or harassed.

Sarcasm. I love sarcasm.
    I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but I do wonder aloud "does it matter if someone's insult is intentional?" If someone insults you unintentionally through action or word choice, do you not hold them accountable?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I hesitate to get involved in this discussion, but I do wonder aloud "does it matter if someone's insult is intentional?" If someone insults you unintentionally through action or word choice, do you not hold them accountable?
    Isn't it ironic, that although one of the founding principles of the formation of Duke was equal education for men and women, that 130 years later we are still having this discussion. Despite the other 'particular institutions' among the Duke family, one driving force of the start of our institution was equality for men and women. However, imperfectly that played out over the years, that was a progressive goal at the start.

'As for Trinity, Washington Duke endowed the school with $100,000 in 1896. Though he refused to have the school renamed as "Duke College," Washington informed Trinity that the money did come with the condition that the college "open its doors to women, placing them on equal footing with men." '
    https://dukehomestead.org/history.php

In my time at Duke, in the late 80's I never heard once any difference in a student being called a Co-ed. As my daughter is currently attending, I do not expect, laughingly or not, that she will be called anything other than a student, as no other distinguishing characteristic is needed, especially one that might "qualify' her attendance.
    Right now, women are the majority at Duke, as is the case in other institutions of higher learning.

The word that we all need to learn is 'boss', as women will rightly take their equal place among the upper levels of every organization

Addition: NOT sure how we got here on this thread, but for the sake of symmetry, women can suffer ovarian torsion, which is exceedingly difficult to diagnose and requires a similar, but more invasive, surgical procedure.
    Last edited by FUBARDoorBuster; 01-30-2023 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Addition

Sarcasm. I love sarcasm.
    A few more thoughts on this:

- While I absolutely believe you didn't mean to insult anyone by using the word co-ed, you certainly did indicate an intent to insult people in the future by intentionally avoiding using any other less insulting word. You explicitly asked what words would be less insulting so that you could avoid using them. That is not the normal approach for someone who cares about the potentially insulted

- "Co-Ed" is almost always used in reference to sex or physical appearance (as it was in this case). That alone should signal that it's probably inappropriate.

- I wouldn't want anyone referring to my daughters as "co-ed" and, especially not as objects to be "lifted" by a basketball player. I'm pretty surprised that you can't see how that post was insulting (even if not intended to be)

- While I absolutely believe you didn't mean to insult anyone by using the word co-ed, you certainly did indicate an intent to insult people in the future by intentionally avoiding using any other less insulting word.
    You explicitly asked what words would be less insulting so that you could avoid using them. That is not the normal approach for someone who cares about the potentially insulted
    Yeah, you got me. I did say that.
    I guess I was too much in the moment of something akin to what Churchill must have meant when he said. "I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught”. The language of our society is ever evolving.
    It seems that within the past 20 years it has accelerated. And I am now older and do not greet each new change with the alaricity that a younger person might. I reserve the right to say what has merit and what is nonsense. And I am skeptical of those who would take it upon themselves to feign outrage to make a point. Forgive me.

- "Co-Ed" is almost always used in reference to sex or physical appearance (as it was in this case). That alone should signal that it's probably inappropriate.
    It is intentionally walking a high wire, I do agree. The trouble with that is some times you fall. Cant win them all.

- I wouldn't want anyone referring to my daughters as "co-ed" and, especially not as objects to be "lifted" by a basketball player. I'm pretty surprised that you can't see how that post was insulting (even if not intended to be)
    I'm not going down the rabbit-hole on this one any further.
    Have a great day.