Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Terrific defensive effort, and good enough offense

I think you have boiled down the essence of this team this year. Terrific defensive effort and good enough offense appears to be this team's formula

Excellent win. Good crowd. The team misses a ton of shots near the basket in the half court. If they could convert down there they would be hard to stop.

Great D, decent O. A good combo against a very good team.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 64.5 (slow, but I think it's mostly due to teams taking close to the full 30 against us because they can't get off a shot)
    oRtg: 1.02 (decent; VaTech is a very good defensive team)
    eFG%: 45.3% (fair)
    3pt%: 40.0% (excellent)
    2pt%: 41.9% (not so hot)
    %threes: 18.9% (low, but we took what they gave us)
    FT rate: 39.6% (good, though this number is inflated by the fouls at the end of the game; 13 of our 20 free throws were in the 4th quarter)
    OR%: 35.5% (good)
    TO%: 18.6% (outstanding; our 5th-best TO% of the season)
    a/to: 0.5:1 (ninth game in a row of 1:1 or worse)
    %assisted: 27.3% (weird; by far our lowest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 3 (4.5% of points; poor)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.85 (excellent; 17th game out of 20 under 0.88)
    eFG%: 41.8% (great)
    3pt%: 43.8% (horrible)
    2pt%: 30.3% (wow; amazing number against a team that usually makes 52% of its twos)
    %threes: 32.7% (decent, against a team that usually shoots almost 40% of its shot from distance)
    FT rate: 40.8% (poor)
    DR%: 74.3% (strong)
    TO%: 26.3% (another great forced TO performance; 15th game out of 20 over 25% (with four other games over 21.6%))
    a/to: 0.47:1 (14th straight game under 0.7:1)
    %assisted: 47.1%
    stl%: 12.4% (good)
    blk%: 21.2% (2pt shots) (fabulous; tied for 4th-best block party of the season)
    fast break pts: 5 (9.1% of points; decent)

We should be happy with our offense tonight. Our two point shots were a little off, but we did everything else pretty well, offensively. And this came against the team that had given up the 2nd-fewest points in the ACC (Duke is first). On defense, we fouled too much and gave up too many open threes, but everything else was fabulous. Virginia Tech usually shoots twos at a better than 52% clip, and only turns the ball over on 18% of their possessions. Duke forced them into 30% two-point shooting and a 26%+ turnover pct. Which is really quite amazing.

Was at the game. At end of first quarter Oliver totally lost whoever she was guarding which allowed a buzzer beating three. To say the least Kara was not pleased. She blistered Oliver during the time between the periods. But she did let her play on. Kara is so intense on the sidelines, that sometimes she reminds me of (heaven help me) Gary Williams. By and large the team played exceptional defense, to the point that Kittley could never get set. This team is both frustrating and exciting at the same time. They play extraordinary defense, and maybe that is why the offense is not a thing of beauty. By the way, I thought Heide played an exceptional game. I thought Kittley would eat her up (so did Kittley), but Mia more than held her own, and actually looked like she was trash talking after getting fouled. This team has an edge. Fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    By the way, I thought Heide played an exceptional game. I thought Kittley would eat her up (so did Kittley), but Mia more than held her own, and actually looked like she was trash talking after getting fouled. This team has an edge. Fun to watch.
    Yeah, that was a moment, wasn't it? Mia comes across in her play as pretty mild mannered, but she's got fire in there. That was fun to see.

This team is frustrating to watch because everybody likes watching offense. With this Duke team, we don't get a lot of that. What we do get is absolutely stifling defense. Celeste Taylor this season may well be playing like the best defensive guard we've seen at Duke. (I count Alana Beard as a forward, to be clear.) Celeste is just a defensive whirlwind. Her opponent just doesn't get a break, ever. It is so fun to watch her. She is a one-woman swarm. Virginia Tech was forced to spend 8 seconds just getting across the timeline, nearly every time down the court. We just do not let up. I love watching this team play defense.

Kudos to Coach Lawson and what she has done for this program. Get comfortable Duke fans, I think she's here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Kudos to Coach Lawson and what she has done for this program. Get comfortable Duke fans, I think she's here for a while.
    I worry about her- she always seems angry on the sidelines. It is as if she sees the play that should be run and even if it results in a basket - it was not the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I worry about her- she always seems angry on the sidelines. It is as if she sees the play that should be run and even if it results in a basket - it was not the right choice.
    I thought the same thing, but I got the opportunity to sit behind the Duke bench during the Syracuse game. Coach is grousing about the officials a lot more than about the players, it turns out. Kara does sometimes get upset by a play, but she's careful to grouse to the assistant coaches only. She seems to use the assistants for venting, but only talks to the players about it - if at all - after she has had some time to calm down. I used to worry about that anger, too, but she is very careful not to direct the instant flare-ups toward players, and she only seems to get on them after some careful consideration. It seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Duke fans should be rooting for Kellie Harper to have a long and successful tenure in Knoxville, cuz if the Lady Vols come looking for Coach Lawson, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I thought the same thing, but I got the opportunity to sit behind the Duke bench during the Syracuse game. Coach is grousing about the officials a lot more than about the players, it turns out. Kara does sometimes get upset by a play, but she's careful to grouse to the assistant coaches only. She seems to use the assistants for venting, but only talks to the players about it - if at all - after she has had some time to calm down. I used to worry about that anger, too, but she is very careful not to direct the instant flare-ups toward players, and she only seems to get on them after some careful consideration. It seems to be working.
    Yes- she does not yell at players- often giving them a tap on the back even though she knows they messed up. Then again I worry about me watching bball games - yelling at the screen with no chance to influence anything - so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    OFFENSE

Possessions: 64.5 (slow, but I think it's mostly due to teams taking close to the full 30 against us because they can't get off a shot)
    oRtg: 1.02 (decent; VaTech is a very good defensive team)
    eFG%: 45.3% (fair)
    3pt%: 40.0% (excellent)
    2pt%: 41.9% (not so hot)
    %threes: 18.9% (low, but we took what they gave us)
    FT rate: 39.6% (good, though this number is inflated by the fouls at the end of the game; 13 of our 20 free throws were in the 4th quarter)
    OR%: 35.5% (good)
    TO%: 18.6% (outstanding; our 5th-best TO% of the season)
    a/to: 0.5:1 (ninth game in a row of 1:1 or worse)
    %assisted: 27.3% (weird; by far our lowest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 3 (4.5% of points; poor)
    Kedsy, do you ever include FT% in your game stats? Duke is shooting 76.3% on the season vs their opponents' 73.7. That is lead by Taylor, Richardson, de Jesus and Cososdale all over 80%. I am surpsised the team average is not higher than that after going 15-15, 14-16 and 18-21 in recent games. They are 2nd in the ACC in FT% and it has helped an otherwise lackluster offense at times.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I've seen her smile quite a lot on the sidelines too. I like a coach with fire, and she has plenty.

By the way, I'm still smiling this morning.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke fans should be rooting for Kellie Harper to have a long and successful tenure in Knoxville, cuz if the Lady Vols come looking for Coach Lawson, all bets are off.
    Yep, my biggest worry. I was very happy to see Tennessee seemingly right the ship after a rough start. Last night didn't work out so well for them, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've seen her smile quite a lot on the sidelines too. I like a coach with fire, and she has plenty.

By the way, I'm still smiling this morning.
    That is good to hear- I only see her back In Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Maybe we should start a thread, "Elephant in the room, is Coach Lawson too angry?" Just kidding of course. I love your updates on the Womens team. Jim Sumner has an article up on his website for those of us interested in Duke Women's basketball. Definitely worth reading. He said the VT coach complained in his pressor about the physical play on his star center. Sounded like sour grapes as Duke had more fouls than VT even though some of their fouls were late in the game trying to catch up. Like you, I love to see the teams desire to play good defense. If they can get their offense close to the defense, this team could beat any team they face.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Maybe we should start a thread, "Elephant in the room, is Coach Lawson too angry?" Just kidding of course. I love your updates on the Womens team. Jim Sumner has an article up on his website for those of us interested in Duke Women's basketball. Definitely worth reading. He said the VT coach complained in his pressor about the physical play on his star center. Sounded like sour grapes as Duke had more fouls than VT even though some of their fouls were late in the game trying to catch up. Like you, I love to see the teams desire to play good defense. If they can get their offense close to the defense, this team could beat any team they face.

GoDuke!
    The refs did not call a lot of fouls inside. On the other hand, they DID call a lot of garbage offensive fouls on duke on some really blatant tech flops, so their coach doesn’t have much right to complain. If those calls go correct and say kitley gets like 6 extra free throws, it’s probably a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    The refs did not call a lot of fouls inside. On the other hand, they DID call a lot of garbage offensive fouls on duke on some really blatant tech flops, so their coach doesn’t have much right to complain. If those calls go correct and say kitley gets like 6 extra free throws, it’s probably a wash.
    I mean including the intentional fouls at the end of the game, Duke was called for 23 fouls compared to Tech’s 17 and Duke only attempted one more FT (21-20). At Home.

We are now 3-0 against the top 3 teams in the preseason ACC poll. Winning by 14, 7, and 11 points. This team is for real.

It doesn't get any easier. Sunday we are at FSU, NET #15, who is 10-1 at home.

Edit: Speaking of NET, the ACC has 5 teams in the top-17, 9 in the top-45, and 14 in the top-81. Insane.
    Last edited by dudog84; 01-27-2023 at 09:48 AM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I mean including the intentional fouls at the end of the game, Duke was called for 23 fouls compared to Tech’s 17 and Duke only attempted one more FT (21-20). At Home.
    Those end of game fouls were ridiculous. VT sat Kitley because having her in would be of little benefit since the game was over, but, hey, y'all keep on fouling because we have nowhere else we have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Kedsy, do you ever include FT% in your game stats? Duke is shooting 76.3% on the season vs their opponents' 73.7. That is lead by Taylor, Richardson, de Jesus and Cososdale all over 80%. I am surpsised the team average is not higher than that after going 15-15, 14-16 and 18-21 in recent games. They are 2nd in the ACC in FT% and it has helped an otherwise lackluster offense at times.
    I don't. That percentage is not something anyone can control (other than the player taking the free throw), so advanced stats focus on how many times you put your opponent on the line rather than whether they actually make the shot.

We sometimes joke about "free throw defense," and I think studies have shown a hostile crowd can actually affect the percentages slightly, but now that you bring it up I wonder whether a team that plays defense like Duke does might really have an influence on opposing free throw percentage? If the constant pressing and stifling halfcourt D causes opponents' legs to go a little wobbly, I imagine that might lower their free throw success. If I get time and feel like doing a bunch of research, maybe I'll try to compare Duke's opponents' free throw percentage against Duke vs. their year-long percentage. Might show something interesting. Probably not today, though.