Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WBB: Duke 66, VaTech 55

It is criminal that there isn't a thread for this. Our ladies will be taking on 6'6" and double-double machine Elizabeth Kitley, who is currently averaging 18.7/11.1. She is supplemented by point guard extraordinaire in Georgia Amoore, who can't shoot much, but averages 5.5 assists per game at a more than 2:1 ratio. Add in a 5'11" forward in Taylor Soule, who specializes in two-point buckets, and a pair of three-point shooters in Kayla King and Ashley Owusu (coming off an injury, but playing tonight), and you've got a very tough test in Cameron with the #12/#10 (AP/Coaches) ranked team in the country. As noted elsewhere, our NET ranting is superior to theirs, but Her Hoop Stats thinks they are the 17th-best team in the country, while they have Duke in 24th. According to HHS, their defense isn't as good as ours, but their offense is better than ours by more than our defense is better than theirs.

In short, this is going to be a heck of a game.

I have it on good authority that this game will count for tenting points, so I expect the students will actually show up tonight, and Cameron might well be rocking! Let's go, Devils!

For those not in the area, the game will be carried on ACCN.

Gonna need to make our jump shots because we suck inside against teams with average inferior defenders- and Kitley is far better than average.

Random question: what are tenting points? That wasn’t a thing when I was there so I’m kind of confused - did they replace checks with a point system?

I might get to watch second half. Hope Day-Wilson,Taylor, Belogun, and Richardson can make a good percentage of shots. Virginia Tech are a tough team. It would be nice if Brown and Heide can score and rebound. This will be a challenging game.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I might get to watch second half. Hope Day-Wilson,Taylor, Belogun, and Richardson can make a good percentage of shots. Virginia Tech are a tough team. It would be nice if Brown and Heide can score and rebound. This will be a challenging game.
    hoping for brown and heide to score seems unrealistic but it’s possible they can actually put up some resistance on d to Kitley other than fronting her. Maybe. (Probably should still try to deny her the ball)

Turning them over and getting out on the break will be key.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Gonna need to make our jump shots because we suck inside against teams with average inferior defenders- and Kitley is far better than average.

Random question: what are tenting points? That wasn’t a thing when I was there so I’m kind of confused - did they replace checks with a point system?
    They have checks, too. I'm afraid I'm not up on all the details, but I think the checks put you in a tier, and the points put you in order within your tier. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Turning them over and getting out on the break will be key.
    This. If we can limit their guard play generally, Kitley can get hers and we'll be OK. But if we can make Amoore an inefficient passer and stop the outside game, we'll have a shot.

Good start. 9-5 at the media time out in Q1.

It was just announced that Duke has 11 transfers on the (assumed) 15 person roster. What happens to the women that were actually recruited, and are/were probably on scholarship? Is this the forever future of college sports, or will this be over after the pandemic? I, for one, don't like it. I know it empowers the athlete, but...

Duke up 23-17 after Q1. Both teams shooting lights-out. Kitley not dominating.

Very good 1st quarter. Both teams shooting well and moving the ball well.

Quote Originally Posted by downeastdad View Post
    It was just announced that Duke has 11 transfers on the (assumed) 15 person roster. What happens to the women that were actually recruited, and are/were probably on scholarship? Is this the forever future of college sports, or will this be over after the pandemic? I, for one, don't like it. I know it empowers the athlete, but...
    That will probably be the high water mark. Some is due to Coach Lawson starting from scratch, some due to the 5th covid year of eligibility and some due to the new no-sit transfer rule. I'm not sure how many freshman recruits Duke has on the roster.

Duke with some early foul trouble (Brown and Balogun both have two).

Richardson is making some good moves but it isn't dropping for her. Her defense is great.

Too many turnovers on offense that are very dumb. VT gets back to within 2 at the half, not what we wanted

Duke usually comes on strong in the second half once the defense and the depth wear the opponent down. Duke played well and only some good shooting by VT kept them close.

Kitley and Amoore are a combined 2-10 from the field, but the rest of VaTech is 9-16 including 5-5 from three. The “recover” part of help-and-recover needs to get better.

Missing a lot of layups tonight.

Stop going inside on a post entry pass to brown. Like ever.

Virginia tech with some laughable flops including a fake being hit by an elbow and the refs keep buying it