Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scheyer says Whitehead not done for season

Gonna give this a new thread, as it is really big news. Will probably merge it into some other thread at some point.

https://twitter.com/Dukeblogger/stat...82618924654593

Scheyer says Dariq won't play Saturday but its not a season ending injury
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/st...82566000934913

"I think he got a lot of relief once we did the testing."

Adds that Whitehead had no structural damage.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This is the best news we could have possibly hoped for really. Don't know when he'll be back but we know we'll see him back at some point. I was totally prepared for a different outcome.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Let's hope our guys can rally without him and become even stronger when he returns. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

from Fayetteville Observer...

Duke freshman forward Dariq Whitehead is out for Saturday's game after suffering a lower left leg injury during Monday night's 78-75 loss at Virginia Tech.

Duke coach Jon Scheyer updated Whitehead's injury status on Thursday before the Blue Devils (14-6, 5-4 ACC) travel to Atlanta on Saturday to face Georgia Tech (8012, 1-9 ACC).

"He's not ready for Saturday," Scheyer said. "He's progressing, but we want to take it slow. I don't want to speculate on time but it won't be Saturday. We're not rushing just taking it a day at a time."

Scheyer added that the injury was a strain and "not any more than that."

I'm happy for Dariq in particular and team in general.

With 11 games remaining in the regular season, and then the ACC tourney, hopefully it's a situation where he can at least have the chance to get some game reps back under him before the NCAAs.

Wonderful news for that kid and wonderful news for Duke! Get well Dariq!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Awesome. Let’s stay afloat, get everyone healthy as possible, and see if we can’t fit the pieces together by March and have some fun.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Excellent news. Hope he can come back healthy and provide a lift down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Awesome. Let’s stay afloat, get everyone healthy as possible, and see if we can’t fit the pieces together by March and have some fun.
    This is the exact right attitude. Hopefully get to the NCAAs with no other expectations and enjoy whatever wins we can muster.

I still won't be all that surprised if he doesn't make it back. And if he does, I am not expecting great things from him. Of course, better to have him than not to have him, for many reason. Hope I'm wrong and that he's back soon. We sure do need him.

I am so happy for Dariq ( and Duke).

Doesn’t appear to be a ruptured Achilles tendon which I feared. Great news all things considered. Maybe he will only miss Saturday’s game. Here’s hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Doesn’t appear to be a ruptured Achilles tendon which I feared. Great news all things considered. Maybe he will only miss Saturday’s game. Here’s hoping.
    At the time it looked to me that he might have gotten a tear in his calf muscle. That happen to me twice over the years. It felt like someone whacked me in the back of my leg. Sudden pain and a loss of mobility. The good news in my case is recovery took a couple weeks but it was longer to get capability back in full. If that is what happen to Dariq, then his medical treatment will be at a high level so his recovery should be assured.

As a Whitehead enthusiast, I’ve thought since mid-Dec that it would be mid-Feb before he got back to maybe 90% of his great potential. Then after he experienced an illness-related second interruption in Dec, I began to think, ok, late-Feb.. Then watching him shoot pretty well and make a few very nice passes, but be very tentative driving, I thought he might not reach 90% all season.

This latest setback, although it may last but a few games, leads me to wonder whether he’ll (understandably?) continue to play (what appears to me and some other posters) tentatively the rest of the season. If so, I’m skeptical he’ll reach what I’d think of as 80% of his potential, much less 90%. But obviously (I think it’s obvious to most) he’s shown enough that he can be an important asset, even if not a go-to guy the rest of the season.

Like everyone here, I want him to be able mentally to play confidently and assertively at both ends of the court.

Anyone else read the thread title as "Scheyer says Whitehead done for season"?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    As a Whitehead enthusiast, I’ve thought since mid-Dec that it would be mid-Feb before he got back to maybe 90% of his great potential. Then after he experienced an illness-related second interruption in Dec, I began to think, ok, late-Feb.. Then watching him shoot pretty well and make a few very nice passes, but be very tentative driving, I thought he might not reach 90% all season.

This latest setback, although it may last but a few games, leads me to wonder whether he’ll (understandably?) continue to play (what appears to me and some other posters) tentatively the rest of the season. If so, I’m skeptical he’ll reach what I’d think of as 80% of his potential, much less 90%. But obviously (I think it’s obvious to most) he’s shown enough that he can be an important asset, even if not a go-to guy the rest of the season.

Like everyone here, I want him to be able mentally to play confidently and assertively at both ends of the court.
    Where do you come up with these percentages? There are simply too many variables at this point in time. If he just misses one or two games and does not lose very much conditioning, he could be right back to where he was. If he misses a month and loses his conditioning, it could take a while to come back.

My money is on the former! 99% 😉

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I absolutely did that too! You know - I was thinking that we really need him to come back because he's been shooting much better, but when I look at the stats, he's not really. He's 10-32 in the last 4 games. He's a guy that I think will eventually get there and be really impressive. We probably would have seen that by the end of this season if he hadn't dealt with any injuries at all, but I don't think we're going to see it this year. I know he's a good defender, but I'm a big believer that low percentage shooters really hurt the team. I feel like the team has progressed so much since the NC State game and had thought he was a big part of that, but now I'm second guessing that.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Positive news. For the team, get better and talk on defense. Scheyer and the coaches Carawell,Lucas, Jefferson , and Schrage are emphasizing that. I listened to the broadcast with David Shumate.

This team needs to the use the tired cliche Next Man Up! Transfer Portal guys Young and Grandison need to start playing consistent and better.

Lively, Mitchell, and Blakes need to step up.

Flip ,Proctor, and Roach not worried about because they are producing points and assists.

Personally I do not know if Jaden Schutt is not up to speed,but if he can contribute give him some minutes.