Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Elko has been capitalizing on last year's success to a wonderful degree. Duke's credibility as a football program is at the other end of the spectrum from where it was a year ago...seems we have some very able, experienced recruiters as well.
    Bradley Smith committed for 2024 yesterday. He's a 6'3" 290 pound offensive lineman from Woodward Academy in Atlanta. He's obviously still a junior but had already garnered 22 offers, including 7 from P5 schools. He's currently the highest ranked of our 6 committed juniors--though, at #508 nationally (including #30 OL), Smith clusters at a similar 247 consensus level as our other commits (5 in the top 600, 1 clocking in at 686).

Overall, 247's team rankings puts us at #14 for 2024, where we're wedged between Clemson and Ohio State. Okay, we have had more guys commit, and that same service had our 2023 recruiting ahead of Alabama's back in June, but these committed guys are all very impressive.

All of that comes with the usual caveat: these rankings are compiled by web site writers, and I'd trust Elko & Co more than web sites, if only because our staff is probably laser focused on maybe 100 guys (200 guys?, 60 guys?) and not trying to compare every defensive lineman in the 3.8 million square miles of the US (just looked it up).

duke football.jpg
    Last edited by johnb; 02-06-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Welcome Bradley! BleedBlue.

I love getting guys from the talent rich state of Georgia.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great pickup! I am really looking forward to seeing how this recruiting cycle plays out.

Transfers

2023 Transfer Update:
    We've had 8 guys transfer into the Duke program (5 OL; 2 CB's; 1 LB).
    All have experience starting for their prior teams, and all seem to be expected to compete for spots in the regular rotation.

We've had 11 Duke guys enter the portal to transfer (3 OL; 4 DL; WR; TE; LB, CB).
    From a quick review, they seem like solid guys, and several seem to be graduating with their '23 Duke class. Wish them well--all seem to have bled blue! From a purely game-competitive standpoint, however, none seem to have gotten much Duke playing time.

I'm guessing that Duke may be unique in regard to this transfer ratio (everybody we bring is a likely rotation player while none of the guys we lose would be expected to be in the rotation) as well as in signing all 26 of last summer's commits.

Welcome Preston Watson!

Preston Watson committed yesterday.

He’s a 6’2” 270 pound junior from Seminole, Florida.

He already had 5 ACC offers, besides the one from Duke.

The 247 consensus ranking is national #538, which puts him so in the midst of our excellent recruiting class that he is TIED with Hauss Hejny with a 0.8628.

The precision of the ranking system reminds me of chemistry class, without the actual, uhm, precision.

Fwiw, Watson’s commitment slides us up to #9 nationally, just ahead of Alabama.

That’s partly because we already have 7 guys and most schools have fewer, but it’s also true that while all or commitments are 3 star recruits, all 7 are rated higher than any of our 2023 recruits (who were also all 3 star recruits).

This increasingly has the look of a game-changing recruitment group for the Duke program.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

The precision of the ranking system reminds me of chemistry class, without the actual, uhm, precision.
    I’ve no idea on the precision / non-precision of the various recruiting services but ESPN lists Preston Watson as NR.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’ve no idea on the precision / non-precision of the various recruiting services but ESPN lists Preston Watson as NR.
    Film for last year (junior year for class of 2024) is still being evaluated, NR just means they haven't gotten to him yet. He is a solid 3 star on 247 I think. Given the historic difficulty recruiting the DL at Duke this is a really good pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Preston Watson committed yesterday.

I think you meant Accuracy and not Precision. If it were Precision, that would mean extra digits on each ranking.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I think you meant Accuracy and not Precision. If it were Precision, that would mean extra digits on each ranking.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Very true…. I’d say that my personal definition of precision did contain a semiconscious dollop of accuracy (consensus 0.0105%), but I now have them distinct!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke landed a QB today. Tyler Cherry is a 3-4 star recruit, depending on who you look at. Either way, welcome to Duke!
    Center Grove quarterback Tyler Cherry announced his commitment Saturday afternoon to Duke.

Cherry, a 6-5, 205-pound senior-to-be, said earlier this month that he was planning to commit before June, though that was before he added offers from Penn State, Boston College and Tulane. Cherry also had Power Five conference offers from Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, Pitt and Vanderbilt.
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n/70239768007/

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Cherry-46138690/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke landed a QB today. Tyler Cherry is a 3-4 star recruit, depending on who you look at. Either way, welcome to Duke!
    It’s always good to land a quarterback early. Cherry has some nice offers including Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana, Illinois.

https://www.on3.com/db/tyler-cherry-176477/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n/70239768007/

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Cherry-46138690/
    Cherry seems like a terrific recruit. On3 ranks him as a 4 star (#227 overall, #14 passer). He’s 6’5” with a strong arm. As a junior, he completed 65% of his passes for 22 td’s and just 5 int’s. His team won its 3rd straight state 6A championship, so he knows how to play with good players.

As they report, “When we were going through quarterbacks for the most recent update to the On300, Tyler Cherry was one of three or four guys who were obvious risers for us going back through their junior film,

… I think what really stood out on his film was his passing from the pocket. His arm talent really stuck out. He has no issues getting the ball downfield. He’s a taller quarterback and more of a prototypical pocket passer compared to most of the players we’ve seen so far, although his movement within the pocket was good as well.”

https://www.on3.com/college/duke-blu...e-blue-devils/

Obviously, Cherry hasn’t actually enrolled at Duke, and he got a lot of strong offers (with presumably more on the way), but Duke has shown it’s become a great place to be a qb. There’s an elite offensive coordinator, creative play calling, an emphasis on offensive linemen (through development + transfers), and a solid group of skill players. We do have excellent Qb recruits already on campus, but that’s going to be the case at all P5 schools.

Anyway, excellent pick up. Welcome, Mr. Cherry!

Adam Rowe just posted this - six new 2024 football recruits. Who are they?

@AdamRoweTDD
    12 visitors, 1 was already committed. 6 commits TODAY. Nuts.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

@AdamRoweTDD
    On 247, I see two players listed as committing on 6/11: Tyshon Reed Jr (Edge) and Montreze Smith (LB). Both are 3-stars from GA.

@AdamRoweTDD
    Apparently, according to an Elko tweet, there has now been a 7th commitment.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

@AdamRoweTDD
    ”Nuts” in a positive way from an Adam Rowe tweet is definitely worthy of attention.

Adam Rowe article on Zach Jackson:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/a...son-211491356/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    ”Nuts” in a positive way from an Adam Rowe tweet is definitely worthy of attention.
    As long as he doesn’t mean it in the General McAuliffe way.

getting a bunch of guys who can play, have SEC offers...very good haul this weekend. And more likely to come soon.

Paul Mencke Jr., a Texas safety whose commitment was announced, is our second 4 star recruit in this class. His offe.r list is quite impressive.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Pa...ruitInterests/

We now have 11 commitments. https://247sports.com/college/duke/S...tball/Commits/
    Last edited by chrishoke; 06-13-2023 at 03:20 PM.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide