Advice on how to make the most of the ACCT?

Friends,

I’ll be making my first in-person trip to the ACC Tourney this year, and would love advice on how to really get the full experience. Are there additional events around the games? Specific bars or restaurants that are must-visits in Greensboro? Tips and tricks to make sure we don’t miss anything?

Thanks, for the advice and for hosting the best board among ACC teams.

my advice would be to insure that you get the referees from Duke's game at Va. Tech or in Charlottesville . . .

Since it’s in Greensboro, ask Boeheim.

Honestly there's not a whole lot around the stadium. It's always been one of the biggest complaints about the venue, but there's so much history that the conference will keep coming back. Other than the games themselves there's not really anything to worry about "missing." Apologies to any Greensboro natives.

Big fan of Lindley Park Filling Station. Hit the venerable Stamey's BBQ across the street ftom the coliseum. Hops Burger bar is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by W&LHoo View Post
    Friends,

I’ll be making my first in-person trip to the ACC Tourney this year, and would love advice on how to really get the full experience. Are there additional events around the games? Specific bars or restaurants that are must-visits in Greensboro? Tips and tricks to make sure we don’t miss anything?

Thanks, for the advice and for hosting the best board among ACC teams.
    HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

As others have said, the history of having the games in G’boro is great. And it is really neat to be somewhere that has fans from all of the different teams there. As far as hangouts, well— the history of having the games in G’boro is great . . . .

(But I’ve enjoyed every trip I’ve made there; I am sure you will too!!!!!)

DC -- Take the Washington Metro into the Verizon Center. There are 50 watering holes and restaurants within a few blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    DC -- Take the Washington Metro into the Verizon Center. There are 50 watering holes and restaurants within a few blocks.
    We used to joke that we'd think about buying a house next to the Gboro stadium so we'd have a bathroom close by for tailgating parties. After all these years I doubt the houses have increased much in value.

To the OP, give yourself plenty of extra time to get into the parking lots. The traffic is abysmal.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Greensboro Native & Resident Here...

I'd be happy to offer advice/thoughts on bars and restaurants, etc. As other posters have mentioned, the area around the GSO Coliseum is pretty "meh". It's really not a very pretty part of our city but there are other parts that are quite fun (and quite lovely). I guess it sort of depends on what kinds of things you like to dom what food you like or if you'll be with family/kids but here are a few thoughts:

Bars & Restaurants
    We have a couple great taco places here - Crafted on Elm St and also Taco Mama (disclaimer, the 2nd one is a chain restaurant but still REALLY good)

Burgers - HOPS is excellent and there are 2 locations, one of which is fairly near the Greensboro Coliseum on Spring Garden St (the other is in the same strip shopping center with Taco Mama).

Lindely Park Filling station is also good for sort of elevated "Bar food" (salads, sandwiches). Right across the street is an excellent pizza place called "Sticks & Stones". Another cool place for pizza is Cugino Forno

For more of a fine dining experience, check out 1618 Midtown (started as just a wine bar but now offers some great food options), Green Valley Grill, or Printworks Bistro. There's also a great Italian restaurant called "Osteria". If you like Thai food, check out "Thai Square" (more on the "casual" than "fine" dining but still very nice).

Feel free to PM me with any questions, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Big fan of Lindley Park Filling Station. Hit the venerable Stamey's BBQ across the street ftom the coliseum. Hops Burger bar is amazing.
    Lindley Park Filling Station is a great little place. Sandwiches and soups are very good, and their draft beer menu is small, variable, and knowledgeable. Three other popular restaurants are within 100 feet or so. Just a few steps away is Bestway Grocery (not a restaurant), a throwback to maybe the 1950s. It has a superb collection of North Carolina and national beers. Location is only a mile from the Coliseum.

Ymm, Hops! Not far from LPFS. A bit further away, same quaint neighborhood. UNC-G and Greensboro College are close to these spots.

Stamey's is beloved by some. My wife and I love Country BBQ, about five miles away on Wendover Ave. Both are Lexington-style joints, cheaper than the trendy spots that charge $15 for a BBQ sandwich and a side.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    I lived in Greensboro for about three years, and would also recommend Sticks and Stones. It's a great pizza place with locally sourced ingredients. It's also fairly close to the arena.

Natty Greene's is a decent bar as well, though it's downtown instead of near the arena. I also have fond memories of the Pour House. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but they had a ton of craft beer selections on tap.

First Carolina Deli is a small joint on Spring Garden Street and barely a mile away from the Greensboro Coliseum. I highly recommend it if looking for a lunch spot.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."