Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Antoine Davis

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Somehow I missed the fact that Antoine's coach is his dad, Mike Davis. Yes, that Mike Davis. And yes, Boozer was fouled.
    Mike Davis being a rather common name, I missed that, too. He was very recognizable on Sportscenter last night.

And yes, Boozer was fouled. When people were up in arms earlier this season over the Tech celebration non-call and the UVA no-foul debacle, they were apoplectic... "the worst call of all-time" blah blah. Nope, not even close. Boozer was fouled was the worst non-call in my 50 years of Dukedom. I digress, but it still hurts.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Mike Davis being a rather common name, I missed that, too. He was very recognizable on Sportscenter last night.

And yes, Boozer was fouled. When people were up in arms earlier this season over the Tech celebration non-call and the UVA no-foul debacle, they were apoplectic... "the worst call of all-time" blah blah. Nope, not even close. Boozer was fouled was the worst non-call in my 50 years of Dukedom. I digress, but it still hurts.

9F

JJ was fouled in 2004.

But refs are known to swallow the whistle at the end of games. Even the shot from JWill, I don't think the ref would have called a foul on it if they knew the shot was going in.
    The UVA debacle is still far worse IMO, because while these no calls were judgement calls in the heat of the moment where they had a split sec to decide to call something or let it go. In the UVA reversal, they had the benefit of time to consider their action, watch the replay, and instead of making the obvious right call, invented a reason to make the wrong call.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    JJ was fouled in 2004.

But refs are known to swallow the whistle at the end of games. Even the shot from JWill, I don't think the ref would have called a foul on it if they knew the shot was going in.
    The UVA debacle is still far worse IMO, because while these no calls were judgement calls in the heat of the moment where they had a split sec to decide to call something or let it go. In the UVA reversal, they had the benefit of time to consider their action, watch the replay, and instead of making the obvious right call, invented a reason to make the wrong call.
    Respectfully disagree. But perhaps you are being literal versus the rulebook while I am focusing on the impact of the non-call. Still:

1) JJ was perhaps fouled, but I never honestly saw any clear replay that showed it. There were also perhaps 10 seconds left on the clock, so it wasn't the end of the game. Maybe it was a foul, as I do remember K screaming that it was a foul. But Redick also had another chance to tie that fell short before UConn put the game away with FTs. And it was not at the end of his Duke career. My lasting recollection of that game was Duke choking away the lead by going into the stall too early, and Horvath being unable to stop Okafor when it counted... Boozer was fouled right before the clock went to zero, and replays clearly showed Boozer being held down. And JWill, for all his glory, was never the greatest FT shooter, and his miss turned out to be the dagger. So there was double pain involved. Boozer, JWill and Dunleavy never played another game in a Duke jersey. I grant that Redick's non-call was in the FF while Boozer's was in the S16, but the other factors move the needle for me to Boozer's non-call.
    2) Redick's and Boozer's fouls were in the tourney. UVA was the regular season.

Too much pain to discuss this more.

And I am still rooting for Davis to have one more game!

9F

Respectfully disagree. But perhaps you are being literal versus the rulebook while I am focusing on the impact of the non-call. Still:

1) JJ was perhaps fouled, but I never honestly saw any clear replay that showed it. There were also perhaps 10 seconds left on the clock, so it wasn't the end of the game. Maybe it was a foul, as I do remember K screaming that it was a foul. But Redick also had another chance to tie that fell short before UConn put the game away with FTs. And it was not at the end of his Duke career. My lasting recollection of that game was Duke choking away the lead by going into the stall too early, and Horvath being unable to stop Okafor when it counted... Boozer was fouled right before the clock went to zero, and replays clearly showed Boozer being held down. And JWill, for all his glory, was never the greatest FT shooter, and his miss turned out to be the dagger. So there was double pain involved. Boozer, JWill and Dunleavy never played another game in a Duke jersey. I grant that Redick's non-call was in the FF while Boozer's was in the S16, but the other factors move the needle for me to Boozer's non-call.

9F
    It was hard to stop Okafor when standing too close to him was called a foul. Horvath never should have been in the game to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It was hard to stop Okafor when standing too close to him was called a foul. Horvath never should have been in the game to begin with.
    I still wish we would have played Deng on Okafor for a few minutes. Doing so might have been enough to get us across the finish line. For whatever reason, though, this was one of those rare occasions when Coach K refused to "play up" a position. But I think Deng's length and talent would have bought us enough time and allowed our offense a bit more quality to get us through. Alas...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I still wish we would have played Deng on Okafor for a few minutes. Doing so might have been enough to get us across the finish line. For whatever reason, though, this was one of those rare occasions when Coach K refused to "play up" a position. But I think Deng's length and talent would have bought us enough time and allowed our offense a bit more quality to get us through. Alas...
    Yeah, a lot of "what ifs" from that game. My main what if was going into the stall too early. And I would have trusted Duhon with the ball more than Redick at those stages of their Duke careers, especially driving.

9F

9F

Well yes, if the criteria is the impact of the bad call, then obviously any thing that happens in the tourney is bigger than anything that happens in the regular season.
    I was talking about is how bad of a referee does it take to mess up a call in that situation, and any bang-bang split sec call is something I can sort of forgive, refs are human and they can miss those calls. But on a clock situation, with the benefit of replays, it's just inexcusable to be so blatantly wrong, and to invent an non-sensical excuse is even worse, because it tells me they knew they were making a wrong call, they just wanted to have reason to dictate an outcome that they preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well yes, if the criteria is the impact of the bad call, then obviously any thing that happens in the tourney is bigger than anything that happens in the regular season.
    I was talking about is how bad of a referee does it take to mess up a call in that situation, and any bang-bang split sec call is something I can sort of forgive, refs are human and they can miss those calls. But on a clock situation, with the benefit of replays, it's just inexcusable to be so blatantly wrong, and to invent an non-sensical excuse is even worse, because it tells me they knew they were making a wrong call, they just wanted to have reason to dictate an outcome that they preferred.
    You are not wrong! Whatever the refs' reasons were, they totally, completely blew the UVA non-call. I look for their names (Lee Cassell, Tim Clougherty, Jeffrey Anderson) for each new Duke game, but I don't expect ever to see them ref another one. If they do and it's in Cameron, I hope the Crazies pounce.

I'd talk more about the Boozer call, but I just can't. I've found over the years the more I think about it, the more it messes up my day.

Returning focus back to Davis. Who I really hope gets another chance to score 4 more points.

9F

I'd talk more about the Boozer call, but I just can't. I've found over the years the more I think about it, the more it messes up my day.

9F
    Just make the free throw, JWill!

I watched part of the game. At first, they were using him more as a decoy as other players were contributing. Mercy led at halftime and even had about a 8 point lead in the 2nd half. But Youngstown State tied it up at about 64 and Mercy never could get the lead back, and they lost 71-66.. Compared to what I briefly saw last game, his shot was not on, plus he was getting hounded when the chips were down. He is 3 short of PP.

However, once again times change...

Detroit Mercy could still play in the CBI, which does *not* have a win percentage criteria to participate, as long as they are invited and willing to pay a $50,000 entry fee. If they go, Davis' points would count toward the record.

But...

- There was no CBI back in the old days!
    - No way a team with a losing record got to play in the post season back when even really good teams didn't get to play!
    - This is like paying for the record!
    - Get off my lawn, kid!

Change happens. I feel one either embraces it, or lives in the past. I have no rose-colored glasses, so I think it would be money well spent if Mercy went. The CBI probably knows people would watch their tourney more if Mercy went. Heck, I'd contribute to a GoFundMe if they needed it!

9F
    UDM played in the The Basketball Classic last year with a losing record. If given the opportunity, I expect that they would accept a bid to that or the CBI this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just make the free throw, JWill!
    Just make the free throws, Mark Williams!

OK, to put a cap on this thread, Detroit Mercy is not in the CBI.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...s/69999441007/https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...s/69999441007/

Personally, I would have watched Mercy's game in the CBI. Sports are entertainment, after all. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Still, now that their season is over, I hope people give Davis his props. He was just taking what the defense gave to him by playing another year., and he took full advantage of it (well, within 3 point of full advantage). And it was pretty amazing. It shows how crazy a record PP's record is. And, what should be important to diehard PP fans, it has made a new generation of college basketball fans aware of PP. PP fans should thank Davis, not disparage him. I hope Davis has a career somewhere, and I hope one day to read an article about him that shows he's done well for himself. He's not PP or Kobe or Curry or Lebron, but maybe he can be Kevin Bradshaw.

9F

I'm much more of a MBB than a WBB fan, but the Duke call that still upsets me most is when Shay Doron pulled Misty Bass over her in the title game and got a charge. I'm still pissed.

Davis was an AP All-American honorable mention.

According to this, he was the leading vote getter among the honorable mentions.

9F

There is one more tournament, the College Hoops Postseason 8, but Detroit Mercy won't be part of it as other teams threatened to drop out if they played.

https://apnews.com/article/davis-mar...14fb69d06ccdb5

...I hope people give Davis his props. He was just taking what the defense gave to him by playing another year., and he took full advantage of it (well, within 3 point of full advantage). And it was pretty amazing. It shows how crazy a record PP's record is. And, what should be important to diehard PP fans, it has made a new generation of college basketball fans aware of PP. PP fans should thank Davis, not disparage him. I hope Davis has a career somewhere, and I hope one day to read an article about him that shows he's done well for himself...
    I agree. I feel for the young man, it still wasn't easy to score all those points.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Antoine Davis was 4 points shy of Pete Maravich despite a 144-game career. Maravich played in only 83 games.

Detroit Mercy tried to buy their way into a year-end tournament despite a 14-19 record this year. It did not work.

Davis "felt cheated", he said.

So it goes.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Antoine Davis was 4 points shy of Pete Maravich despite a 144-game career. Maravich played in only 83 games.

Detroit Mercy tried to buy their way into a year-end tournament despite a 14-19 record this year. It did not work.

So it goes.
    He also made a crap-ton of three-pointers. He wasn't cheated out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post

So it goes.
    Yeah, I can’t believe anybody is worked up over this even one iota. Davis didn’t deserve to be anywhere near to breaking Pete Maravich’s record, as there was not even close to a level playing field for how the two arrived at their scoring totals.

I was very happy to see that Davis did not get a 145th game (to Pete’s 83). Him having the record over Maravich would have been a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, I can’t believe anybody is worked up over this even one iota. Davis didn’t deserve to be anywhere near to breaking Pete Maravich’s record, as there was not even close to a level playing field for how the two arrived at their scoring totals.

I was very happy to see that Davis did not get a 145th game (to Pete’s 83). Him having the record over Maravich would have been a sham.
    83 games vs 144 games is 57.6%
    21 shots per game vs 38 is 55.2%

So despite playing all those extra games, Davis still only took 2,987 shots to Maravich’s 3,166. Maravich also attempted 1,152 FTs making only 77.5% compared to Davis who shot 89.2% on only 715 attempts.

It gets tiresome how people just see Maravich’s per game average and act like he was some shooting wizard that was unstoppable. He was a great player on a pretty mediocre team coached by his dad who let him shoot as much as he wanted in an era when defense was less aggressive and players were less athletic in general. Oh and pace of play was much faster.