Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 136 of 136

Thread: Antoine Davis

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    An astonishing lack of a sense of humor, knowledge of pop culture memes, and understanding of sarcasm is being displayed in this thread.

    One might even say that it approaches the amazing pace of basketball play back in the day.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Beg to differ. It IS impressive. It's well ahead of players from the same era with the same advantages and disadvantages that Pete had, too. It's a unicorn achievement, and very impressive indeed. It's also not like Pete owes his record to the fact that he played for his dad. This is a player who was a 5-time NBA all-star who led the NBA in scoring for a season, and who had his number retired by three different NBA franchises. It's not like he's some hick from the sticks who got propped up by his old man. He was a legitimately great player, and the scoring record is clear evidence of that despite the advantages (and disadvantages) he may have had.

    It's kind of odd to me to say Pete's achievement is not that impressive, and then lament that a player who challenged it is the one getting dissed. If Davis can't break such an unimpressive record, that doesn't say much about Davis, does it?

    Personally, I think both achievements are amazing. YMMV.
    Iím lamenting the sainthood of Maravichís record. This is about Maravich getting far too much credit for throwing up 38 shots per game while only shooting 43.8%Ö

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Please find where I lamented Davis getting dissed. Iím lamenting the sainthood of Maravichís record. This is about Maravich getting far too much credit for throwing up 38 shots per game while only shooting 43.8%Ö
    Oh boy, youíve really gone and done it now! The double-down diss!

    Or maybe this is triple or quadruple for you. I would have to go back and check to be certain. 😉

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oh boy, youíve really gone and done it now! The double-down diss!

    Or maybe this is triple or quadruple for you. I would have to go back and check to be certain. 😉
    Lol. Honestly I hate that Maravich is getting collateral damage here in making my point (which I guess isnít working). I know he was taking tough shots and deep ones and was ahead of his time in creativity. Great player but just not efficient because he had to carry his team.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Beg to differ. It IS impressive. It's well ahead of players from the same era with the same advantages and disadvantages that Pete had, too.
    I would say "with some of the same", not "the same." Guys like Abdul-Jabbar and Maravich had additional benefits above most of the players of his era. Most notably that - despite being talented enough to play and star for a good team - he chose to go to a school with no bball history where his dad was allowed to make the program a showcase for Pete. Had Pete gone to, say, NC State or UNC, he still would have been a superstar player, but would have probably scored 10-15 fewer points per game playing with better teammates and against better competition. He simply wouldn't have been allowed by his team to take 38 shots per game.

    I'll again point to Johnny Neumann, who averaged 40 ppg for Ole Miss (a similarly bad program like Tennessee) the year after Maravich went pro. Neumann turned out to be a mediocre pro, but had he not left after his one year of college, he might have threatened Maravich's record himself. Which sort of illustrates the point about the era and circumstance.

    It's an impressive point total. It's a record. But it's also very much influenced by the era and the circumstance. Maravich's dad went to a program which would allow him to showcase his son, and he then built the gameplan totally around Maravich taking every possession. And when you combine that with the lack of defense and pace of play in that era, it was a perfect storm.

    Obviously Maravich had to be a very good player to score 40+ ppg. But it was very much also a function of playing on a bad team coached by his dad as well. Doesn't mean Maravich wasn't a great player. Nor does it mean that Davis is even in the same conversation of talent as Maravich. It's just acknowledging that THAT particular record is very much a confluence of not only a really talented player (one of the most talented players of his era) but also an era and a team circumstance that made it possible.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Lol. Honestly I hate that Maravich is getting collateral damage here in making my point (which I guess isnít working). I know he was taking tough shots and deep ones and was ahead of his time in creativity. Great player but just not efficient because he had to carry his team.
    And that's the other part of it. All of this was before my time, but I can't imagine there was anyone else on those LSU teams who should have been putting up volumes of shots ahead of Pete.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Iím lamenting the sainthood of Maravichís record. This is about Maravich getting far too much credit for throwing up 38 shots per game while only shooting 43.8%Ö
    Your argument is pining for the fjords.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's an impressive point total.
    Apparently we agree, then. My entire point was an argument against the notion that is is NOT an impressive record. Thanks.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Apparently we agree, then. My entire point was an argument against the notion that is is NOT an impressive record. Thanks.
    We agree on a little of it, yes. You're welcome.

    I would also say that Antoine Davis' point total is impressive. Sure, like Maravich, he benefited from some advantages that other players of his era didn't, and some advantages that players of other eras didn't. But it's still a really impressive accomplishment by Davis. Yet for some reason folks in this thread are fired up about minimizing his accomplishment because of his advantages while ignoring the advantages Maravich had.
    Last edited by CDu; 03-21-2023 at 04:17 PM.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    But it's still a really impressive accomplishment by Davis.
    As did I. Hey! We agree again! Look at us.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Beg to differ. It IS impressive. It's well ahead of players from the same era with the same advantages and disadvantages that Pete had, too. It's a unicorn achievement, and very impressive indeed. It's also not like Pete owes his record to the fact that he played for his dad. This is a player who was a 5-time NBA all-star who led the NBA in scoring for a season, and who had his number retired by three different NBA franchises. It's not like he's some hick from the sticks who got propped up by his old man. He was a legitimately great player, and the scoring record is clear evidence of that despite the advantages (and disadvantages) he may have had.

    It's kind of odd to me to say Pete's achievement is not that impressive, and then lament that a player who challenged it is the one getting dissed. If Davis can't break such an unimpressive record, that doesn't say much about Davis, does it?

    Personally, I think both achievements are amazing. YMMV.
    Itís possible that Press Maravich got the HC job because of Pete.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It’s possible that Press Maravich got the HC job because of Pete.
    I would go ahead and say that it's more than possible. Pistol Pete was a hot commodity, and LSU was a nothing of a program back then. I think there's a high likelihood that a big factor in Press getting the job was the probability that Pete would come too.

    Unfortunately for Press, showcasing Pete at LSU didn't lead to team success, and LSU let him go just 2 years after Pete left.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Iím lamenting the sainthood of Maravichís record. This is about Maravich getting far too much credit for throwing up 38 shots per game while only shooting 43.8%Ö
    Wow has Duke ever had guards who shot 44% or less? I mean other than this year?

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would go ahead and say that it's more than possible. Pistol Pete was a hot commodity, and LSU was a nothing of a program back then. I think there's a high likelihood that a big factor in Press getting the job was the probability that Pete would come too.

    Unfortunately for Press, showcasing Pete at LSU didn't lead to team success, and LSU let him go just 2 years after Pete left.
    It actually did lead to more team success. LSUís record was significantly better with Pete than their record in years immediately before the Maravich family arrived. I believe they even qualified for the NCAA tournament 1-year.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It actually did lead to more team success. LSU’s record was significantly better with Pete than their record in years immediately before the Maravich family arrived. I believe they even qualified for the NCAA tournament 1-year.
    I meant anny real and/or enduring success. Maravich had a losing record at LSU. They didn’t make the NCAAT, but did make the NIT once. They had one good season in his 6 years there.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I meant anny real and/or enduring success. Maravich had a losing record at LSU. They didnít make the NCAAT, but did make the NIT once. They had one good season in his 6 years there.
    Well I did read that Pistol Pete Maravich book in my 4th grade school library. The memory isnít crystal clear.

Similar Threads

  1. Bill Davis, RIP
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM
  2. Anthony Davis is AP POY
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
  3. Ed Davis out for the season?
    By detule in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
  4. Ed Davis Q&A
    By Misunderestimated in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
  5. Cutcliffe and Davis
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •