Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136

Thread: Antoine Davis

  1. #1

    Antoine Davis

    Antoine Davis is a 6'1" guard for Detroit Mercy, and he might be lining up to take a shot at one of the most storied records in sports -- Pete Maravich's NCAA men's Division I basketball career scoring record of 3,667 points.

    Davis is currently sitting at 3,274 career points, 393 behind Maravich, and Detroit Mercy still has at least 11 games to play. A deep run in the Horizon Conference tournament could add games to that total. Detroit Mercy's record is currently just 8-13, so they'd likely need to win the conference tournament to go beyond that.

    Assuming they play the minimum number of 11 remaining games, Davis would need to average 35.8 points per game to catch Maravich -- a tall order, but Davis has scored over 30 six times this season, and has topped 40 in two of Detroit Mercy's last three games.

    Davis has already moved into the #2 spot on the career scoring list. If he keeps scoring at his current season average of 26.4 ppg, he'll finish with 3,564 career points, 103 points behind Maravich and 315 points clear of third place, held by Freeman Williams, who played for Portland State in the late 1970s. The closest modern-era player is Chris Clemons, who played for Campbell from 2015-2019, and sits in fourth place with 3,225 points.

    To be sure, asterisks abound with Davis' record chase. He's currently playing his fifth season, thanks to the extra year of eligibility that athletes received due to the COVID-interrupted 2019-2020 season. And as we all know, Maravich set his record in just three seasons of play.

    But it's still kind of fun to watch a guy chase one of the unthinkable records in all of sports.

  2. #2
    No three point line either.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Maravich also averaged 38 FGA and 14 FTA which probably offsets some of the number of games played.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Maravich also averaged 38 FGA and 14 FTA which probably offsets some of the number of games played.
    I seem to remember a few years ago that someone did a deep dive on "how many points would Pistol Pete have scored with a three point line." I don't recall the upshot, but yikes, what a project.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    I saw this. Of course, any comparison to Maravich favors Pistol Pete. But by comparing to Maravich, I think it does the guy a disservice. It's not Davis' fault he plays with a 3 point line and got an extra season due to COVID. He's getting a ton of buckets! It's quite amazing. I hope he passes Maravich. Records are made to be broken, and no one is going to think less of Maravich if he's second. In fact, all the benefits that Davis has had actually highlights how incredible Maravich's point total really is.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  6. #6
    Apples to apples would only be appropriate.

    Tough to compare eras. Pistol owned the SEC. Averaging in the 40s.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Davis had a clunker on Monday night, with 14 points on 3-16 shooting. That leaves him at 3288 points with 10+ games left.

    So he will need to pick up the pace or get some help by Detroit making a longer postseason run.

    380 points needed to break the record.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Bumping the thread because Antoine Davis only needs 64 points to pass Maravich. Detroit Mercy will play Purdue-Fort Wayne tomorrow in the 1st round of the Horizon League tourney. They shouldn't play in any other post-season tourney as they have a losing record, so winning games in the Horizon tourney may determine if the record is broken.

    Their game tomorrow overlaps with the Duke-State game, but it is on ESPN+.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Bumping the thread because Antoine Davis only needs 64 points to pass Maravich. Detroit Mercy will play Purdue-Fort Wayne tomorrow in the 1st round of the Horizon League tourney. They shouldn't play in any other post-season tourney as they have a losing record, so winning games in the Horizon tourney may determine if the record is broken.

    Their game tomorrow overlaps with the Duke-State game, but it is on ESPN+.

    9F
    Davis has been absolutely chucking it up over his last 8 games, averaging 34.0 ppg on 23.8 fga. If he continues at that pace, he'd need just 2 Horizon League games to reach the mark. Of course, averaging 34 ppg isn't exactly easy, and any one bad game now would likely do him in.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Davis has been absolutely chucking it up over his last 8 games, averaging 34.0 ppg on 23.8 fga. If he continues at that pace, he'd need just 2 Horizon League games to reach the mark. Of course, averaging 34 ppg isn't exactly easy, and any one bad game now would likely do him in.
    They have absolutely nothing to play for except get Davis points. But unless he absolutely catches fire and scores 64 tomorrow, they do need to win for him to have a shot. A win's not guaranteed at all, but just to be in a position to pass the mark is amazing.

    This kind of reminds me of Bull Durham with Crash Davis breaking the minor league HR record. It's gotten so little press. Sure, Maravich's point total is "better", even if Davis passes it. But for the chase to get so little press is a bad look for ESPN and the other outlets.

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  11. #11
    Is this one of those guys that played 6 years due to Covid?

    Pete only played 3 years of college ball, with no 3-point line and no shot clock. Phenomenal record.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    They have absolutely nothing to play for except get Davis points. But unless he absolutely catches fire and scores 64 tomorrow, they do need to win for him to have a shot. A win's not guaranteed at all, but just to be in a position to pass the mark is amazing.

    This kind of reminds me of Bull Durham with Crash Davis breaking the minor league HR record. It's gotten so little press. Sure, Maravich's point total is "better", even if Davis passes it. But for the chase to get so little press is a bad look for ESPN and the other outlets.

    9F
    Meh. Scoring those points in five years at Detroit Mercy in the era of the three point line is impressive. Maravich did it in three years with no three point line against the SEC with no shot clock.

    The two records aren't even close to similar.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Meh. Scoring those points in five years at Detroit Mercy in the era of the three point line is impressive. Maravich did it in three years with no three point line against the SEC with no shot clock.

    The two records aren't even close to similar.
    They arenít. But then again, one reason Maravichís record has held up is because of the early entry movements. Can you imagine how many points Kobe, KD, Kyrie, LBJ would have scored in three years of college ball?
    Carolina delenda est

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Is this one of those guys that played 6 years due to Covid?

    Pete only played 3 years of college ball, with no 3-point line and no shot clock. Phenomenal record.
    Davis has played 5 years, and tomorrow will be his 143rd game (Maravich played just 83). The shot clock is largely irrelevant, as teams actually played generally faster back in the late-60s than they do today. They ran up and down the court and chucked up a lot of shots. For example, LSU averaged 75 FGA and 29 FTA per game in Maravich's senior year. Alabama (2nd in tempo this year) averages just 62 FGA and 24 FTA per game. And that's ignoring turnovers, which weren't tracked in Maravich's era but are now.

    Maravich's main limitation relative to today's players is games played. The pace of play difference more than offsets the differences in shot clock and 3pt line. Maravich averaged 44.2 points on 38.1 FGA per game. But he also benefited from being totally showcased while playing for his dad, and playing in an era in which team defense wasn't nearly as sophisticated or as good as it is today.

    It's just really hard to compare, sort of like it's hard to compare any starting pitcher today to Cy Young.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    They arenít. But then again, one reason Maravichís record has held up is because of the early entry movements. Can you imagine how many points Kobe, KD, Kyrie, LBJ would have scored in three years of college ball?
    KD averaged 26 ppg, Pistol averaged 44 ppg, and apparently 57 ppg with a 3 point line.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Is this one of those guys that played 6 years due to Covid?

    Pete only played 3 years of college ball, with no 3-point line and no shot clock. Phenomenal record.
    Meh, his usage was ridiculous as his dad just told the team to let him shoot all the time. Great talent but 38 FGA (plus 14 FTA) to me makes his numbers less impressive. He was ahead of his time in offensive creativity and was a very good shooter. Just think his PPG need two asterisks- positive(no 3-point shot) and negative (ridiculous volume)Ö

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    KD averaged 26 ppg, Pistol averaged 44 ppg, and apparently 57 ppg with a 3 point line.
    KD also only averaged 18 FGA and 7 FTA while only making 2.3 3-pointers/game

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    KD averaged 26 ppg, Pistol averaged 44 ppg, and apparently 57 ppg with a 3 point line.
    KD averaged 26 as a freshman, when Maravich was prevented from playing varsity. What would KD have averaged during his three years on varsity — all during the period when he was actually in the NBA? For reference, during his first three years in the league, KD scored 20, 25 and 30 ppg. A significantly older and more mature Maravich scored 23, 19 and 26.

    I’m not saying KD would have beat the scoring record, but he could have. As could any one of a number of other people. Kobe and LBJ would have been completely unstoppable in the NCAA. The one time I met Grant Hill was at a documentary premier in LA and he excused himself early because he had to guard Kobe the next day. I thought it was a joke when he said that to the crowd, but he was dead serious. Only a handful of people in college could have even hoped to check Kobe.
    Carolina delenda est

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Meh. Scoring those points in five years at Detroit Mercy in the era of the three point line is impressive. Maravich did it in three years with no three point line against the SEC with no shot clock.

    The two records aren't even close to similar.
    I don't believe it's taking anything away from Maravich if Davis passes his point total. There's only one Pistol Pete, just like there's only one Babe Ruth. Ruth had his HR records broken by lesser players, and nobody thinks worse of him now. A number's a number, and Davis (who is listed as 6-1, 165) getting so many points, 5th year, treys or not, is pretty cool. And almost any record in any sport out there will eventually be broken, so this will just raise the bar for somebody else to pass someday (maybe not 511 wins in baseball, but that's for another thread).

    9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Davis has played 5 years, and tomorrow will be his 143rd game (Maravich played just 83). The shot clock is largely irrelevant, as teams actually played generally faster back in the late-60s than they do today. They ran up and down the court and chucked up a lot of shots. For example, LSU averaged 75 FGA and 29 FTA per game in Maravich's senior year. Alabama (2nd in tempo this year) averages just 62 FGA and 24 FTA per game. And that's ignoring turnovers, which weren't tracked in Maravich's era but are now.

    Maravich's main limitation relative to today's players is games played. The pace of play difference more than offsets the differences in shot clock and 3pt line. Maravich averaged 44.2 points on 38.1 FGA per game. But he also benefited from being totally showcased while playing for his dad, and playing in an era in which team defense wasn't nearly as sophisticated or as good as it is today.

    It's just really hard to compare, sort of like it's hard to compare any starting pitcher today to Cy Young.
    38.1 Shots Per Game. To put that in context, this season our starting lineup of Flip, Roach, Mitchell, Proctor, and Lively takes an average of 41.79 shots per game.

    Take out Lively (3.53 shots/game), and Maravich shoots almost exactly the same amount as the rest of our starters combined.

Similar Threads

  1. Bill Davis, RIP
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM
  2. Anthony Davis is AP POY
    By superdave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
  3. Ed Davis out for the season?
    By detule in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
  4. Ed Davis Q&A
    By Misunderestimated in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
  5. Cutcliffe and Davis
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •