Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I want the bottom-feeders. The guys who were at the end of their bench and only play garbage time. I want kids who are afraid to shoot and can't take a charge for fear of injury.
    I think he should start targeting guys who have used up all of their eligibility…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I think he should start targeting guys who have used up all of their eligibility…
    The community college roster is just begging to be evaluated.

too much competition

I want the bottom-feeders. The guys who were at the end of their bench and only play garbage time. I want kids who are afraid to shoot and can't take a charge for fear of injury.
    I don't think we can get those guys away from UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Top one-and-dones plus multi year guys plus transfers. What else is there? Seems like kind of a non-answer answer to me.
    It was totally a non-answer. I think I'm being overly hopeful and trying to interpret something out of it that may or may not be there. He also said in the interview that he thinks we'll see some guys back next year. Of course, no idea if that means guys from the Schutt, Reeves, and Blakes group or if that means guys from the Roach, Mitchell, Flip, Proctor group. So again, didn't really tell us anything. I sat through 40 minutes of that darn podcast to get to that nothing burger by the way.

ACC=All Community College players

Uh

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    It was totally a non-answer. I think I'm being overly hopeful and trying to interpret something out of it that may or may not be there. He also said in the interview that he thinks we'll see some guys back next year. Of course, no idea if that means guys from the Schutt, Reeves, and Blakes group or if that means guys from the Roach, Mitchell, Flip, Proctor group. So again, didn't really tell us anything. I sat through 40 minutes of that darn podcast to get to that nothing burger by the way.
    At least you now know that Scheyer is quite good at coachspeak!

That might be a difficult one to get past admissions though. Even for student athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    ACC=All Community College players
    As a mid-major coach said a year ago: "Well, first you recruit your own players and try to get them to stay; then you recruit other teams' players and try to get them to transfer; and then you turn to the high schools and prep schools."

We seem to be in the following posture:
    1. Go for the best HS and prep players we can get -- almost sure one-and-dones.
    2. Recruit 2-3 players (or more) who will need a year or two to develop and are most likely to be multi-year players in college (we hope at Duke).
    3. Get grad transfers to fill in the gaps in the roster; particularly getting those who respond to the academic excellence and the hoops prestige of Dear Old Duke.*

Seems fine to me. I would add (unnecessarily):
    In a time of roster uncertainty, err on the side of greater numbers of recruits. A simple application of inventory theory.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    * The announcers were reporting Saturday that Josh Pastner was really moaning about losing Ryan Young to Duke. Young was admitted to an MBA program at Tech. And Pastner figured the loss was solely due to the name on the front of the jersey.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Wow, that is a righteously obscure reference. I was at the game and still had to Google Sheehy to recall it. Awesome work
    I was there as well, up in the Crow's Nest doing stats

Smile

Long time lurker, first time poster. I became a Duke fan during the early and mid 1970s, arguably the longest drought in the modern era of Duke BB. However, many of my best memories are from that time and those early challenges have made the successes over the last decades even sweeter. From my perspective, don't have any notable concerns about Jon or the present direction of the program. As an aside, in my experience, watching the games with a comfort dog seems to decrease the need for consumables that can result in visions of elephants flying around the room. Unfortunately, sneaking dogs into Cameron has become increasingly difficult. Speaking about dogs on campus, does anyone know the current status of catching and fetching frisbees in Duke Gardens?

My season tickets are grandfathered in since I got them in ‘75, so I also remember the down years. Never stopped going or cheering on the Devils. Even during the down years, the victories were sweet, maybe even sweeter since we weren’t spoiled then.

And Cameron had a better crowd and atmosphere then as well, so get off my lawn.

I hadn't seen anything about this when it happened. I don't know that a player getting kicked out of practice is really newsworthy though.

In any case, nice to see that practices demand maximum effort.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...ctice-incident

Quote Originally Posted by Old Quad Dog View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I became a Duke fan during the early and mid 1970s, arguably the longest drought in the modern era of Duke BB. However, many of my best memories are from that time and those early challenges have made the successes over the last decades even sweeter. From my perspective, don't have any notable concerns about Jon or the present direction of the program. As an aside, in my experience, watching the games with a comfort dog seems to decrease the need for consumables that can result in visions of elephants flying around the room. Unfortunately, sneaking dogs into Cameron has become increasingly difficult. Speaking about dogs on campus, does anyone know the current status of catching and fetching frisbees in Duke Gardens?
    Any Quad Dog is a friend of mine. Glad you posted!

Is there really an elephant in the room with respect to Jon Scheyer? Is there something that needs to be discussed about him that people are afraid to discuss for some reason? That's the definition of "elephant in the room" as far as I know its usage. As far as I'm aware, there's absolutely no unspoken belief that Jon is doing a poor job, or is in any kind of trouble job-security wise (in this, his FIRST year!) and we've discussed all sorts of things about Jon and his coaching in this and many other threads. So what exactly is the elephant in the room that hasn't been discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    I hadn't seen anything about this when it happened. I don't know that a player getting kicked out of practice is really newsworthy though.

In any case, nice to see that practices demand maximum effort.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...ctice-incident
    Rumors circulated, which is probably why Flip wanted to set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Is there really an elephant in the room with respect to Jon Scheyer? Is there something that needs to be discussed about him that people are afraid to discuss for some reason? That's the definition of "elephant in the room" as far as I know its usage. As far as I'm aware, there's absolutely no unspoken belief that Jon is doing a poor job, or is in any kind of trouble job-security wise (in this, his FIRST year!) and we've discussed all sorts of things about Jon and his coaching in this and many other threads. So what exactly is the elephant in the room that hasn't been discussed?
    yup,yup….why does this thread exist?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Please

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    yup,yup….why does this thread exist?
    Let’s shut this down.

That elephant is looking a little sick over there in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj View Post
    That elephant is looking a little sick over there in the corner.
    I think this Scheyer guy is ok 👍

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I think this Scheyer guy is ok 👍
    The elephant in the room is that this thread might not have been a good idea.