Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    This thread worked as it was intended.
    Yes it opened with a banality and Has lost meaningful content ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The Seinfeld of threads?

You are FAR too complementary.

“We just drink our drinks and laugh out loud
    And b*tch about the weekend crowd
    And try to ignore the elephant somehow
    Somehow”

— Jason Isbell

Your reply was much more prudent than any that I could have constructed, congrats.

And yet it's 13 pages long. Does this mean some folk here are banal retentive?*

*Once the term popped into my head I just had to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    And yet it's 13 pages long. Does this mean some folk here are banal retentive?*

*Once the term popped into my head I just had to share it.
    So — you could’t retain it?

(That’s pretty damn good)

What we need to realize

Jon has a tough job. With one and dones, the current transfer situation, NIL, etc etc the college basketball world is in a state of flux. KY, UNC, Villanova and Duke are not in the top 25 as of last week. Top teams lose on a regular basis.

This team, like many of K's last teams, has frosh in prominent roles. Basketball is a team game and you need good teamwork to win. While it is hard to build that with prominent frosh, it is doubly difficult to do so and deal with significant injuries that cause players to adopt to different roles during the season.

I personally think Jon will do just fine. Impressed by his work in recent weeks and looking forward to seeing him grow.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Jon has a tough job. With one and dones, the current transfer situation, NIL, etc etc the college basketball world is in a state of flux. KY, UNC, Villanova and Duke are not in the top 25 as of last week. Top teams lose on a regular basis.

This team, like many of K's last teams, has frosh in prominent roles. Basketball is a team game and you need good teamwork to win. While it is hard to build that with prominent frosh, it is doubly difficult to do so and deal with significant injuries that cause players to adopt to different roles during the season.

I personally think Jon will do just fine. Impressed by his work in recent weeks and looking forward to seeing him grow.

SoCal
    I am buying Coach Jon Scheyer’s stock. Last night showed he can win when Duke isn’t playing their A game offensively and Duke is undermanned.

With that said, if he can beat one of the next two coaches he coaches against (Larrañaga and Bennett) on the road and likely still undermanned, I think that’ll be among the most impressive wins for a team in our league this season. Larrañaga is one of the better coaches in the league and their offense is elite this year (10th in the country on Kenpom currently). He had K’s number frequently and especially at Miami, FL when they hosted Duke. Bennett is the best coach in the conference hands down. If Duke can win there at UVa I’ll be very surprised. But it is possible. If Coach Jon Scheyer gets this team to focus and they look prepared tomorrow after the emotional win last night, it will be impressive in and of itself.

Shane Ryan, occasional DBR poster, goes in on Scheyer after last night's win.

@ShaneRyanHere
    It was always a kind of malpractice to give the reins of a program like Duke to a guy who had never been a head coach before, but because it was Coach K's call, Duke fans en masse would never point out how idiotic it was. Too much groupthink. There's a reason Duke wanted Amaker. Buckle up, we're in for 3-5 years of the same one-and-done we've had with K for the last decade, but with worse coaching and probably worse recruiting with time. Only mystery is how long Duke waits to go against the guru and send Scheyer packing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

@ShaneRyanHere
    It was always a kind of malpractice to give the reins of a program like Duke to a guy who had never been a head coach before, but because it was Coach K's call, Duke fans en masse would never point out how idiotic it was. Too much groupthink. There's a reason Duke wanted Amaker. Buckle up, we're in for 3-5 years of the same one-and-done we've had with K for the last decade, but with worse coaching and probably worse recruiting with time. Only mystery is how long Duke waits to go against the guru and send Scheyer packing.
    That highlighted bit is flat out moronic. We were to expect better coaching. Or even equal?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

@ShaneRyanHere
    Is he anything more than an occasional DBR poster? Is he a journalist or something?

I'm a lot more comfortable with Scheyer than I am with any other of our former players who have had experience head coaching because none of them has excelled, especially at major programs. I think I still pick Scheyer, but my one gripe with the selection process was not considering anyone outside of Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Is he anything more than an occasional DBR poster? Is he a journalist or something?

I'm a lot more comfortable with Scheyer than I am with any other of our former players who have had experience head coaching because none of them has excelled, especially at major programs. I think I still pick Scheyer, but my one gripe with the selection process was not considering anyone outside of Duke.
    He's a Duke grad who has been writing on Duke sports, primarily basketball, for well over a decade for various outlets - ESPN, Grantland, Golf Digest, and many others. He covers a variety of sports and levels of sports.

He's much more than a DBR poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He's a Duke grad who has been writing on Duke sports, primarily basketball, for well over a decade for various outlets - ESPN, Grantland, Golf Digest, and many others. He covers a variety of sports and levels of sports.

He seems like he's learning that you have to have outlandish hot takes to make the most money in the sports journalism world.

Ryan is a bright dude but he tends to be a bit reactionary.

Scheyer’s doing just fine. He’s not K. Tommy Amaker also is not K.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Ryan is a bright dude but he tends to be a bit reactionary.

Scheyer’s doing just fine. He’s not K. Tommy Amaker also is not K.
    Correct, Coach K is The GOAT. A tough act to follow.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

DBR posters: "I tell ya, we don't get no respect." Loosen neckties. Look trapped.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I made this thread for the purpose of just discussing Scheyer not b/c I believed he was doing a bad job or should be worried about his job security.

@ShaneRyanHere
    While Jon has had his fair share of first-time HC mistakes, I have a hard time seeing how Tommy would have been a slam-dunk better choice. It's not like Tommy has had a stellar coaching career. As for the OAD shot, K left the cupboard pretty bare. What did Shane expect Jon to do in year 1?

@ShaneRyanHere
    Oh I forgot all about that guy.

“Always…malpractice” - how many other times has the reins of a program like Duke been passed to a first time coach? Don’t think he’d find much evidence to draw any sort of real conclusion.

Shane apparently expects us to believe it’s “malpractice” to hire a first time coach at Duke, and Coach K didn’t see that but the University did. He’s implying that the University cared more about the success of the Hoops program than K. And their solution was… Tommy Amaker? IF this was such an obvious thing and these were the dynamics, wouldn’t the administration push for the best possible outside hire?

I am guessing Shane doesn’t follow recruiting either. He’s just assuming it’s going to be 3-5 years of One and Done with no changes. Never mind Scheyer’s obvious attempt to get older through the Transfer Portal, and the profile of the guys he has signed over the next couple years.

Finally, he’s making some pretty big assumptions on a small sample size about Scheyer’s competence and approach. And this is in a year where Jon *inherited K’s approach to roster building*. Maybe let’s give the guy some time and see what happens?