Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vigil time

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, you can even run with a torn ACL. I played softball with a torn ACL before my surgery. I played half a game of bball with a torn ACL before I realized it was torn. Even after I fell and had to leave the game I convinced myself it wasn’t torn. And after diagnosis but prior to surgery I played softball but with a brace.

That said, while I have never torn my Achilles, from what I understand it is technically possible (though not recommended) to walk with a torn Achilles.
    I do have some relevant experience with Achilles injuries since I ruptured my left Achilles playing basketball at Duke in 1972. No, not Duke basketball, basketball at Duke. I was in grad school and playing a pickup game on east campus. The damage was repaired at Duke Hospital and it took me about two years to get anywhere close to what I was doing before athletically. The good news is that my left Achilles has served me nicely in the fifty years since.

Anyway, I found that it is possible to hobble about a bit with a torn Achilles if you can stand the pain, but that’s about it. Rupturing the Achilles tendon means there’s nothing connecting your calf muscle to your heel and without the calf to heel connection you can’t raise the heel off of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, you can even run with a torn ACL. I played softball with a torn ACL before my surgery. I played half a game of bball with a torn ACL before I realized it was torn. Even after I fell and had to leave the game I convinced myself it wasn’t torn. And after diagnosis but prior to surgery I played softball but with a brace.

That said, while I have never torn my Achilles, from what I understand it is technically possible (though not recommended) to walk with a torn Achilles.
    It was Kobe who shot free throws after tearing his Achilles.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Anyway, I found that it is possible to hobble about a bit with a torn Achilles if you can stand the pain, but that’s about it. Rupturing the Achilles tendon means there’s nothing connecting your calf muscle to your heel and without the calf to heel connection you can’t raise the heel off of the ground.
    That hurt just to read. I don’t want to imagine what it would be like to go through it.