Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    That's an interesting take. How is a center who doesn't shoot threes accountable for our guards to miss 3s?
    It was in some other thread recently where it was pointed out that our sarcasm meters don't seem to work too well.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It was sarcasm.
    Gotta have that /s or #sarcasm!

Anywho, I gotta punch a UNC in the throat.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I have us going 6-5 in the final 11 regular season games and losing in the first round of the conference tournament.

Does this team get in the NCAA at 20-12?
    I don’t see us winning another game this season. They may need to just to end the whole men’s basketball program.

Did I do that right?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow, I don’t think going 6-5 over next 11 games is particularly negative or an overreaction. In fact, I think 20-12 is a reasonable prediction considering how difficult the remaining schedule is.
    The point is that that record is nowhere close to missing the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    They may need to just to end the whole men’s basketball program.

Did I do that right?
    If you had been the NCAA a few years ago, yes.

I agree. The defense cost us the game. But our offense was terrific. We were expected to lose by 1 and lost by 3 instead. Frustrating, but not a bad result against a team that is much better than their ACC record would suggest.
    Defense in the second half was much better than the first, but still faltered down the stretch. VT did hit a lot of tough shots, but once we leave them open for one or two then they gain confidence and the floodgates are open.

Had we held on and won the game I think we would be applauding the team's toughness in erasing the early deficit - we trailed by 10 with a minute left in the half and tied it before the under-16 timeout in the second. Then it was pretty back and forth the rest of the way. We shot 9-23 from three (39.1%), 20-37 from two (54%) and only committed 7 turnovers. So we improved on a lot of our weaknesses, but unfortunately regressed in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    The point is that that record is nowhere close to missing the tourney.
    Not just that, but expecting us to then lose in the first round of the ACC, when we would be playing a bad team (because at 11-9 we wouldn’t get the double-bye and possibly not even the bye) is pretty negative.

I agree it is, by his/her standards, less negative than usual. But it is still a post in search of doom and gloom.

That would have been the most ridiculous flagrant call ever. DBR would have gone apoplectic if a Duke player got called for a flagrant on something like that.

It sucks, but it was totally inadvertent.
    It absolutely was inadvertent but I was under the impression that intent did not matter when making forcible contact to the head/face? I've seen that F1 called a million times when a player flails their arms in a double team and makes inadvertent contact to the head.

It was sarcasm.
    Yeah I said Ryan wasn’t effective against Miami and this offended a few posters so severely they are stuck in hyper-sarcasm mode.

I wonder if, after the team watches the game tape, what will gnaw at them the most is how poorly we handled the perimeter ball screens in the first half. Cattoor and Pedulla were wide open on most of their looks. We cleaned that up in the second half (credit to Coach Scheyer), but the damage had been done and that was what hurt us the most.

Missed free throws and Proctor's last 3pt attempt will no doubt stay in their memory, but those things are just so hard after you expend so much energy. Proud of how hard we fought. Losses are always gut-wrenching, but it's possible that we're starting to learn how to close games.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I really hope this game puts to bed the “Jon Scheyer is in over his head” talking point. Jon made some BRILLIANT changes after halftime. The team completely changed how it covered ball screens from one half to the next, and it paid major dividends. And he kept this team engaged after the Whitehead injury when it would’ve been so easy to fold.
    I’m pleased that Scheyer’s the coach, and agree he made some good adjustments. All the more reason to be dumbfounded by his failure to sub in Lively for Young late on D. Does anyone think that was not a strange failure?

To be sure, he didn’t miss those FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    It absolutely was inadvertent but I was under the impression that intent did not matter when making forcible contact to the head/face? I've seen that F1 called a million times when a player flails their arms in a double team and makes inadvertent contact to the head.
    And those are usually basketball plays.

Whereas celebrating a made shot with 13 seconds to go isn't a basketball play.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    If you had been the NCAA a few years ago, yes.
    You thought I was talking about unc and 2 decades of fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Defense in the second half was much better than the first, but still faltered down the stretch. VT did hit a lot of tough shots, but once we leave them open for one or two then they gain confidence and the floodgates are open.

Had we held on and won the game I think we would be applauding the team's toughness in erasing the early deficit - we trailed by 10 with a minute left in the half and tied it before the under-16 timeout in the second. Then it was pretty back and forth the rest of the way. We shot 9-23 from three (39.1%), 20-37 from two (54%) and only committed 7 turnovers. So we improved on a lot of our weaknesses, but unfortunately regressed in other areas.
    Yeah we played a very good second half (out scoring them by 4, and by 7 over the first 19 minutes of it) and a good last 7 minutes of the first half (out scoring them by 2). Unfortunately the defense was just not good enough, and it put us in a position where OU scoring the opponent by 9 over a 26-minute span just meant we were tied, with them having the ball.

Alas…

As a result of tonight’s loss, Duke dropped from 31 overall to 32 overall on Kenpom. The O moved from 45 to 34. The D dropped from 35 to 44.

I hope Dariq doesn’t miss any games but I think he’ll miss at least a game if not several more. Worst case scenario obviously is he’s done at Duke. I really hope that’s not the case.

Huge night from Flip. Got nothing from Grandison. Anyone know his +/-? Decent game from Young (workmanlike effort) and Proctor didn’t shoot well overall but hit some big shots. Roach did not look or play 100% which Coach Scheyer said will be the case the remainder of the season. Duke took care of the ball a lot better and won the battle on the boards 30-27. Their defense just got torched early by the Hokies and their 3-point shooting and that was the difference. Duke expelled lots of energy to fight back into the game which to their credit they did. They looked gassed down the stretch though. Only 13 minutes logged for Lively II.

I agree that Flip getting in the way of a punch with his throat should have been some kind of foul. If a Duke player had done that inadvertently or not there would have been an extensive analysis conducted by ESPN replay and the analysts as well as social media.

Here’s hoping we see Dariq play by the UNC-CH game on 2/4 but I’m not counting on it.

Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I’m pleased that Scheyer’s the coach, and agree he made some good adjustments. All the more reason to be dumbfounded by his failure to sub in Lively for Young late on D. Does anyone think that was not a strange failure?

To be sure, he didn’t miss those FTs.
    No, because Lively was getting torched as well and wasn’t able to grab boards. I didn’t see Lively having much value in this game.

That would have been the most ridiculous flagrant call ever. DBR would have gone apoplectic if a Duke player got called for a flagrant on something like that.

It sucks, but it was totally inadvertent.
    Sure, it was inadvertent, but a flagrant 1 is "excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play." By definition, celebration is unnecessary and not required by the circumstances of the play. If you are going to celebrate with a fist pump, you should be responsible for making sure no one else is in your way.

That being said, if Duke hits a couple of missed foul shots and a shot or two from the floor that were missed/ill-advised, it's a win anyway.

Frustrating loss. There were a number of positives. Flip played great most of the game until he ran out of steam. Some good adjustments by Coach Scheyer after a messy first half. Roach didn't play as well as Saturday but given the quick turn around after he is coming back from injury, he did nicely.

The punch to Flip should be a flagrant. If I had a nickel for every time I have told my son to "control your body" I would be in the Legacy Fund - you can't just go around flailing your fists, bumping into people, or whatever else - there are consequences for that.

That being said, that's not why we lost. They got hot in the first half and we didn't have an answer. They beat us to a number of loose balls. Normally this is a game you learn from and remember later in your career. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "career" at Duke so we just need to regroup and be ready for this weekend.

And Scheyer's shirt, combined with the buttoned collar, was a fashion faux pas.

Also, if someone is repeatedly trolling, flame them. I believe if someone gets enough flames they end up in the penalty box.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    And those are usually basketball plays.

Whereas celebrating a made shot with 13 seconds to go isn't a basketball play.
    Which makes it a Flagrant 1 according to the rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    No, because Lively was getting torched as well and wasn’t able to grab boards. I didn’t see Lively having much value in this game.
    Yeah, I wouldn’t have been upset with Lively being in, but he wasn’t exactly effective in this one.

I also wouldn’t simply assume that during a bit of a broken play he would have still been in position to contest that floater.