Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 75, Va Tech 78 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Expected.

Played hard. Scored incredibly well. Unfortunately the defense wasn’t good enough in the first half.

Still, we had our chances. Tough loss.

Great night from Flip. Just needed a couple of more stops in the first half.

We had a chance, and we saw progress with this team. I loved how we dug deep but just couldn't hit some key free throws and a wide open three at the end.

Sending prayers for Whitehead. Losing him for any length of time will be tough.

Punch/elbow to the throat is not a foul. Taking a foul is a flop/technical free throw. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Punch/elbow to the throat is not a foul. Taking a foul is a flop/technical free throw. OK.
    That would have been the most ridiculous flagrant call ever. DBR would have gone apoplectic if a Duke player got called for a flagrant on something like that.

It sucks, but it was totally inadvertent.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That would have been the most ridiculous flagrant call ever. DBR would have gone apoplectic if a Duke player got called for a flagrant on something like that.

Ok so no flagrant but no foul at all? Most fouls are accidental, should they just complain they were celebrating after them? Dead ball foul, something should be called.

Imagine if Grayson or Laettner did the same thing ?

Completely agree. I actually would have been furious if they had called a flagrant. It would have been the entire reason for a Duke win.

If Duke plays half decent defense on that play and gets a stop none of this matters. The team that deserved the win, won. Period.

No, if a Duke player threw that punch, I and the rest of the country would expect a foul to be called.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    No, if a Duke player threw that punch, I and the rest of the country would expect a foul to be called.
    You can bet your keister on that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    100% right.

My understanding is that it does not matter if it is inadvertent. I just downloaded the official rules from the NCAA. This appears to be the relevant section:

IMG_7520.jpg

I guess I don’t understand flagrant calls. That wasn’t a basketball move. They call celebratory technicals for taunting, not that it matters. It seemed egregious that it wasn’t a flagrant to me. I’m a bit naive I guess but I just feel strongly that, if you’re throwing an air punch, it’s your responsibility to insure the someone’s head isn’t in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I guess I don’t understand flagrant calls. That wasn’t a basketball move. They call celebratory technicals for taunting, not that it matters. It seemed egregious that it wasn’t a flagrant to me. I’m a bit naive I guess but I just feel strongly that, if you’re throwing an air punch, it’s your responsibility to insure the someone’s head isn’t in the way.
    Stop making so much sense.

The most ridiculous flagrant ever? Vernon Carey got T'ed up for shouting after a dunk. Guys get T'ed up for inadvertent contact all the time.

The only reason they didn't call it is the timing of when it happened. Had there been 10 minutes left in the game I guarantee it gets called.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The most ridiculous flagrant ever? Vernon Carey got T'ed up for shouting after a dunk. Guys get T'ed up for inadvertent contact all the time.

The only reason they didn't call it is the timing of when it happened. Had there been 10 minutes left in the game I guarantee it gets called.
    Yeah. That feels right to me.

It was 100% a foul, and I'd argue it was a flagrant.

Flip got punched in the throat on a non-basketball play. He was just standing there. I mean, it's basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ct68JZKsZ8
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Greg Paulus did this one time

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Greg Paulus did this one time
    2006 ACC championship Duke vs BC. That "punch" was much less severe (from the side, just below the chest, Paulus was pushed into the BC player) and yes, a foul was called after review.

The review tonight was the quickest I can remember.

It absolutely was inadvertent but I was under the impression that intent did not matter when making forcible contact to the head/face? I've seen that F1 called a million times when a player flails their arms in a double team and makes inadvertent contact to the head.