Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 75, Va Tech 78 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Expected.

Good effort guys that’s what counts!!!👍👍 we will get ‘em next time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    Good effort guys that’s what counts!!!👍👍
    I wish this were true. 2nd half effort was tough.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here. Remember, no venting or bashing.
    Things to be disappointed about things to be happy about.
    The most disappointing is that it was so close…..so close…
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Played hard. Scored incredibly well. Unfortunately the defense wasn’t good enough in the first half.

Still, we had our chances. Tough loss.

Great night from Flip. Just needed a couple of more stops in the first half.

We had a chance, and we saw progress with this team. I loved how we dug deep but just couldn't hit some key free throws and a wide open three at the end.

Sending prayers for Whitehead. Losing him for any length of time will be tough.

Punch/elbow to the throat is not a foul. Taking a foul is a flop/technical free throw. OK.

How is a punch to the face not a foul? GDF’ing refs.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Another frustrating road loss. I missed the first half, but yikes- we went from up 7 early to down 13 just after the half. We have to avoid these long cold stretches.

And the VT player should have been charged with a flagrant after punching Flip in the throat! I don’t care if it’s “celebratory”— you can’t punch another player.

Basile had a really good game. Young’s O-plan was so good first half. Scheyer made major mistake not subbing Lively in for Young. Just too strange, because seemed so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I wish this were true. 2nd half effort was tough.
    They played their tails off, even down to the final play and just came up short. Great effort on the come back, VT just a very good team!

Tough way to lose. Finishing strong seems to be a developing theme. That plus injuries. Adjust expectations - including the possibility of missing the NCAAs. While I think we still get in, it shouldn’t be assumed as an automatic at this point.

They got knocked back early and clawed their way back. They just have so little room for error. I still have hope for this team to start clicking

Missed opportunities. We had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    How is a punch to the face not a foul? GDF’ing refs.
    And they had excellent angles on official review. And the STILL blew the call! Flagrant 2 all day. Whether a player is celebrating or not, it’s a flagrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Punch/elbow to the throat is not a foul. Taking a foul is a flop/technical free throw. OK.
    That would have been the most ridiculous flagrant call ever. DBR would have gone apoplectic if a Duke player got called for a flagrant on something like that.

It sucks, but it was totally inadvertent.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    If all you can see from this game is a loss to complain about, I’m authentically and sincerely sorry for you. Because you’re the type of fan that can only enjoy Duke basketball when we’re dominant, and can’t appreciate how hard it is to be that.

This team could’ve folded a half dozen times in this game and let things get as ugly as they were in Raleigh. They didn’t. They fought back every time, and just ran out of time for one last fight.

Also, I really hope this game puts to bed the “Jon Scheyer is in over his head” talking point. Jon made some BRILLIANT changes after halftime. The team completely changed how it covered ball screens from one half to the next, and it paid major dividends. And he kept this team engaged after the Whitehead injury when it would’ve been so easy to fold.

Most of us penciled this game in as a loss when the schedule came out. It ended up being one. Ok. But we showed some gosh darn heart fighting through a lot of adversity to give ourselves a great chance to pull it out. This team can learn, grow, and build off this performance, even though it was a loss.

Please, don’t feed the trolls folks. Because they’re coming.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmjo View Post
    They played their tails off, even down to the final play and just came up short. Great effort on the come back, VT just a very good team!
    1-7 in the ACC before this game. Sure . . . great team . . .

I'm all for glass half full but we should have won.

Team fought hard but lost a close game. It happens. Sadly the loss of Whitehead will be bigger than this loss. Flip with a great game. Basile was the difference for them.