Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 1/23-1/29

Monday
    [47]Virginia Tech (1-7) (-1) hosts [31]Duke (5-3) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
    [143]Florida State (5-4) (+6) hosts [43]Miami (6-3) (7:00, ESPNU)
    [41]NC State (5-4) (-12) hosts [160]Notre Dame (1-8) (7:00, ACCN)
    [60]Clemson (8-1) (-11) hosts [156]Georgia Tech (1-8) (9:00, ACCN)
    [81]Syracuse (6-3) (+3) hosts [24]North Carolina (6-3) (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday
    [68]Pittsburgh (6-3) (-4) hosts [76]Wake Forest (6-3) (7:00, ACCN)
    [184]Boston College (3-6) (-9) hosts [296]Louisville (0-8) (9:00, ACCN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [11]Virginia (7-2) (-17) hosts [184]Boston College (3-6) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [160]Notre Dame (1-8) (-11) hosts [296]Louisville (0-8) (12:00, ESPN2)
    [76]Wake Forest (6-3) (-1) hosts [41]NC State (5-4) (1:00, ACCN)
    [156]Georgia Tech (1-8) (+7) hosts [31]Duke (5-3) (3:00, ACCN)
    [68]Pittsburgh (6-3) (-1) hosts [43]Miami (6-3) (4:00, ESPNU)
    [143]Florida State (5-4) (+4) hosts [60]Clemson (8-1) (5:00, ACCN)
    [47]Virginia Tech (1-7) (-7) hosts [81]Syracuse (6-3) (7:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    is dark

ACC Non-Conference: 109-52
    ACC v. Power 6: 23-32

Conference-Only Efficiency Ratings
    Virginia: +10.5
    North Carolina: +10.5
    Clemson: +10.1
    Miami: +9.1
    Syracuse: +5.8
    Pittsburgh: +5.1
    Wake Forest: +4.6
    NC State: +2.2
    Florida State: +1.0
    Duke: +0.6
    Virginia Tech: -4.9
    Boston College: -8.9
    Notre Dame: -11.2
    Georgia Tech: -15.1
    Louisville: -22.4
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Monday
    [47]Virginia Tech (1-7) (-1) hosts [31]Duke (5-3) (7:00, ESPN)

Conference-Only Efficiency Ratings
    Duke: +0.6
    Virginia Tech: -4.9
    Expecting an awesome game tonight. VT is a different beast with Cattoor for sure. They tested UVa at JPJ and Gave Clemson all they could handle @Littlejohn the other night. By now Duke's younger guys should be figuring things out and settling in as well. VT will bring it b/c they're desperate for a 'W' and of course, because it's Duke. Duke has to know they need this one to keep pace with all the teams competing for the regular season title and even a double-bye in the conf tourney. I expect the intensity to be high and the game to be awesome to watch. Good luck, guys!

ACC in the Week 12 AP Poll

7. UVa
    20. Miami, FL
    24. Clemson
    26. Duke (102 votes)
    31. UNC-CH (12 votes)
    38. NC State (4 votes)
    44. Wake Forest (1 vote)

FSU, who has won 9 straight contests vs Miami, is getting absolutely STEPPED ON at home vs the Canes. At the half, Miami leads 54-28. Kenpom had Miami as a road favorite to be fair... but only a 6pt fave.

In the other contest currently at half ND nursing a small lead @NCSU. Wolfies can't afford a UNC hangover vs a team as bad as ND is this year. They made a mini run to cut the ND lead to 3 just before the half.

What has happened to Leonard Hamilton and Mike Brey? Are they just aging out? Too disillusioned with NIL and the current state of college BB to really put their hearts into the job? Just bad luck? I always thought of those guys as both really good/great coaches - at worst, BORDERLINE HoF worthy. How did it come to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    FSU, who has won 9 straight contests vs Miami, is getting absolutely STEPPED ON at home vs the Canes. At the half, Miami leads 54-28. Kenpom had Miami as a road favorite to be fair... but only a 6pt fave.

In the other contest currently at half ND nursing a small lead @NCSU. Wolfies can't afford a UNC hangover vs a team as bad as ND is this year. They made a mini run to cut the ND lead to 3 just before the half.

What has happened to Leonard Hamilton and Mike Brey? Are they just aging out? Too disillusioned with NIL and the current state of college BB to really put their hearts into the job? Just bad luck? I always thought of those guys as both really good/great coaches - at worst, BORDERLINE HoF worthy. How did it come to this?
    Hamilton is almost 75 years old, so clearly doesn’t have the same zip as he did a few years ago. He also hasn’t hit on the recruiting trail.

Brey has never been a strong recruiter, and it sounds like he lost his team this year. His exit was a bit of a surprise from the lens of coming into the season, but it has been such a rough year that it wasn’t too surprising to see him leave. He isn’t that old, but for whatever reason his time at Notre Dame had passed. Perhaps going to a mid-major type program - where recruiting might be less critical - would be a better fit. Or going the TV route, where his personality would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hamilton is almost 75 years old, so clearly doesn’t have the same zip as he did a few years ago. He also hasn’t hit on the recruiting trail.

Brey has never been a strong recruiter, and it sounds like he lost his team this year. His exit was a bit of a surprise from the lens of coming into the season, but it has been such a rough year that it wasn’t too surprising to see him leave. He isn’t that old, but for whatever reason his time at Notre Dame had passed. Perhaps going to a mid-major type program - where recruiting might be less critical - would be a better fit. Or going the TV route, where his personality would work well.
    This makes the most sense to me. Knowing what I know about Mike, via some mutual friends, he's an extremely competitive guy, but he doesn't REQUIRE competition to be happy. I think he has more varied interests than your typical coach that reaches this level and can be more than satisfied with a studio gig - a la Bill Cowher.

That said, it also wouldn't COMPLETELY shock me if after a year or two away, he decides he wants to come back if the **right situation** becomes available.

Miami, FL is blowing the doors off FSU in Tallahassee.

Miami wins @FSU. Miami goes to 7-3 in ACC play, FSU drops to 5-5

NC State beats ND in Raleigh. Wuffies improve to 6-4, Domers drop to 1-9 (yikes).

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Miami wins @FSU. Miami goes to 7-3 in ACC play, FSU drops to 5-5

NC State beats ND in Raleigh. Wuffies improve to 6-4, Domers drop to 1-9 (yikes).
    Can Rudy hoop?

'Cuse doing their best to hand the Cheats a W in the closing seconds 🙄

In case any of y’all don’t think Roger Ayers is a UNC fan,‘watch the UNC- Syracuse game. Every call from him goes in the Holes’ favor. It’s beyond ridiculous. I wonder if he is just a fan, or if he puts money on the games.

A flagrant 1 offensive foul on Syracuse.

Of course that is a Flagrant 1

Deb Antonelli just said “by rule contact to the head is always an F1”

The interpretation of what is and isn’t a Flagrant foul is ridiculous

A guy going to the hoop that makes a natural basketball move can be called for a flagrant foul because that is much less excessive than a celebratory punch that lands on someone’s throat!?!?

Is Roger Ayers going to win one for the Heels? I can’t believe he called that a charge with 10 seconds left, much less an F1. Unbelievable.

But sure, Flip can get punched in the throat - no call.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    'Cuse doing their best to hand the Cheats a W in the closing seconds 🙄
    Roger Ayers is single handedly giving UNC the game. Tough loss for the Orange and ridiculous win for the Holes. Ugh

Roger Ayers puts the Heels on his back and gets the win.

The calls were so one-sided down the stretch. Too obvious to be a coincidence.

Just unreal how UNC gets every call even on the road. All game long Bacot's defender is straight up and gets called for a block. On the other end UNC slaps and holds constantly and never gets called for it. During that last inbounds Caleb Love shoves his defender away and Syracuse gets called for the foul. Over and over again. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. On top of that they get the dumb luck of Girard saving the ball inbounds right to Nance under the basket (looked like it would have been Syracuse's ball if he had just let it go).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Just unreal how UNC gets every call even on the road. All game long Bacot's defender is straight up and gets called for a block. On the other end UNC slaps and holds constantly and never gets called for it. During that last inbounds Caleb Love shoves his defender away and Syracuse gets called for the foul. Over and over again. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. On top of that they get the dumb luck of Girard saving the ball inbounds right to Nance under the basket (looked like it would have been Syracuse's ball if he had just let it go).
    Don't they teach you in, like...I don't know...JUNIOR High to NEVER save the ball under the other team's basket? Doh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Roger Ayers puts the Heels on his back and gets the win.

The calls were so one-sided down the stretch. Too obvious to be a coincidence.
    And it’s EVERY SINGLE GAME he officiates. It would love to see a criminal investigation into Ayers. I’m convinced he’s crooked. If you don’t think so, Watch just Ayers in any game involving UNC. The Louisville game last year took the cake.

So UNC gets the F-1 in the last 10 seconds that likely decides the outcome of the game that Duke did not get in the last 10 seconds that also likely would have decided the outcome of the game. Yet some here did not want Duke to get the call because it would have been a “cheap” win. Do you think UNC feels bad about the calls they got against Syracuse?

Not to mention the push off by Caleb Love on the ensuing inbounds play that was called against the Syracuse player. Amazing how one team in this league consistently gets the benefit of the doubt at the end of games. Plus that same team in their previous game shoots 39 ft’s to their opponents 12. Amazing!