Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke at Virginia Tech (1/23/23, 7 pm, ESPN) Pre Game & In Game Thread

Discuss the game here. Virginia Tech is on a seven game losing streak.
    Bob Green

The team needs to show growth in this game and beat Va Tech by playing smart disciplined bball. Va Tech is solid but vulnerable - but they will be up for Duke. Duke has been a mediocre road team and still is having long droughts without scoring. If Duke can avoid turnovers and those droughts they can hang with and beat any team. Roach has to play well on the road to settle the team but I worry about his conditioning. Big game for lots of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The team needs to show growth in this game and beat Va Tech by playing smart disciplined bball. Va Tech is solid but vulnerable - but they will be up for Duke. Duke has been a mediocre road team and still is having long droughts without scoring. If Duke can avoid turnovers and those droughts they can hang with and beat any team. Roach has to play well on the road to settle the team but I worry about his conditioning. Big game for lots of reasons.
    Mediocre is a nice way to put it. We have exactly 1 road win in the ACC and that was a one point win against 11th place Boston College.

We really need a convincing win vs Virginia Tech tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Mediocre is a nice way to put it. We have exactly 1 road win in the ACC and that was a one point win against 11th place Boston College.

Well they played better against Clemson- but the end of the game was bad. That has to improve.

Blacksburg has been a very difficult place to play for some very good Duke teams. We've lost 4 of the last 5 games vs the Hokies there.

For years, the lighting seemed weird and dim compared to other venues.

https://hokiesports.com/sports/mens-...story/duke/366

Anyone know what Kenpom or Torvik has as the line for this one? I’m thinking Duke -2.5ish tops.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Anyone know what Kenpom or Torvik has as the line for this one? I’m thinking Duke -2.5ish tops.
    Neither metric has Duke favored. Kenpom has Duke as a one point dog and Torvik has Duke as a 2.7 dog.

Neither metric has Duke favored. Kenpom has Duke as a one point dog and Torvik has Duke as a 2.7 dog.
    Yikes. Gonna be another stressful game on the ole ticker for me it may appear. Didn’t know the ole girl could still thump the way it was going during the Miami, FL game yesterday!

Mediocre is a nice way to put it. We have exactly 1 road win in the ACC and that was a one point win against 11th place Boston College. We really need a convincing win vs Virginia Tech tomorrow night.
    https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team...Tech&year=2023

VT did lose in Boston, but they have been so close at home. Their early schedule has not been friendly, but they can make a major run in the 2nd half. I don't think the non-conference will be enough to get an at-large bid at this point. We don't want to be the turning point for them. They will be desperate but not necessarily confident.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Blacksburg has been a very difficult place to play for some very good Duke teams. We've lost 4 of the last 5 games vs the Hokies there. For years, the lighting seemed weird and dim compared to other venues.

https://hokiesports.com/sports/mens-...story/duke/366
    Cassell was Cameron upstairs pre-renovation the last time I was there. You could use it as a barn, but it really reminds me on an aircraft hangar. Defense and shot selection (FT/2 pt). I can't remember whether we've shot 3's consistently there.

Should be a tough game. VT is much better than their ACC record would suggest. They had a fairly frontloaded schedule, and that coincided with an injury to one of their key players (Cattoor). They are not at all deep, and losing him resulted in a few unexpected losses. Still, they should probably wind up around .500 in conference for the season.

Getting a win in Blacksburg will not be easy and would be a sneaky good win. We match up reasonably well with them, so hopefully we will get the W.

Let's see. I'm a big worrier so here we go.

VT is better than their record would indicate.
    It's an away game in a tough place.
    We just came off of a difficult emotional win.
    We will be playing on short rest with a quick turnaround.

I'm expecting a close loss. If we win I will consider it a breakthrough game and good progress.
    Last edited by camion; 01-22-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Should be a tough game. VT is much better than their ACC record would suggest. They had a fairly frontloaded schedule, and that coincided with an injury to one of their key players (Cattoor). They are not at all deep, and losing him resulted in a few unexpected losses. Still, they should probably wind up around .500 in conference for the season.

Getting a win in Blacksburg will not be easy and would be a sneaky good win. We match up reasonably well with them, so hopefully we will get the W.
    Would a loss to them be considered a bad loss when it comes to NCAAT selection?

GoDuke!

Any win

I'll be very happy with any kind of a win. VT isn't as bad as its record suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Would a loss to them be considered a bad loss when it comes to NCAAT selection?

GoDuke!
    It is a quad 1 game at the moment, so no. Worst case is it will be a Q2 game. But more likely it will remain a Q1 game.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll be very happy with any kind of a win. VT isn't as bad as its record suggests.
    I believe we are progressing upward and a loss to VPI
    will be disappointing. I think Duke wins both road games this week as the talent differential is large.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I believe we are progressing upward and a loss to VPI
    will be disappointing. I think Duke wins both road games this week as the talent differential is large.
    Please explain the upward progression you’re noticing after an 8 point loss on the road to Clemson and a 2 point win at home.

Please explain the upward progression you’re noticing after an 8 point loss on the road to Clemson and a 2 point win at home.
    Well, per Torvik our trend over the last 4 games is clearly upward. Game score of 71, 79, 73, and 83. It isn’t a wildly upward trend, but it is upward.

Roach is back, looked good and we are generally healthy. I’m also trying to be optimistic that the pieces are coming together (a bit).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Roach is back, looked good and we are generally healthy. I’m also trying to be optimistic that the pieces are coming together (a bit).
    Which is why a convincing win would go a long way.

Historically inefficient Duke offense

Duke’s offense is currently the lowest it has ever been on Kenpom when considered by end of year adjusted offensive efficiency since 2002 when the metric started being tracked.

These are the end of year adjusted offensive efficiency rankings of Duke since 2002:

2002: 1
    2003: 13
    2004: 2
    2005: 13
    2006: 1
    2007: 44
    2008: 13
    2009: 7
    2010: 1
    2011: 5
    2012: 8
    2013: 4
    2014: 1
    2015: 3
    2016: 4
    2017: 6
    2018: 3
    2019: 7
    2020: 9
    2021: 18
    2022: 1
    2023 (through 19 games): 47

Getting Roach back (although according to Coach Scheyer, not 100% for the remainder of the year) should help Duke move up some in the offensive rankings. The wild card to me that could get this club in the top 30ish in the country in offensive efficiency is Whitehead. He’s gotta start being a dude for Duke. He has the potential and size. It’s time he starts taking over games.