Justise: a cautionary tale

Jason Quick wrote an unusually probing piece about Justise Winslow for the Athletic. It came out a day or two ago, so maybe it’s been referenced somewhere, but it strikes me as required reading for the kind of Duke fan who reads DBR frequently.

It’s a little hard for me to read such an article without falling back on perspectives from my day job as a psychiatrist; or without thinking about the impact of OAD; or without feeling secondarily traumatized by imagining what it would be like to have a 4-hour fight on a hard-packed beach, mano-a-mano, with my brother, who also happens to be an angry Justise Winslow.

The article has some silver linings, or maybe some silver threads, but I came away not wanting to opine further about a fragile young life, still very much a work in progress.

https://theathletic.com/4082236/2023...-trailblazers/
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-22-2023 at 06:25 AM.

Behind a paywall. What’s the gist?

Gist

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Behind a paywall. What’s the gist?
    That Winslow has gone through some very dark times in the NBA, with a lot of drinking and womanizing, but now seems to be in a good place.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That Winslow has gone through some very dark times in the NBA, with a lot of drinking and womanizing, but now seems to be in a good place.
    Injuries- failing to live up to expectations- being immature with a boat load of money- can be very hard on the psyche. Regardless of how physically mature a player is at 19- they still have lot of growing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Jason Quick wrote an unusually probing piece about Justise Winslow for the Athletic. It came out a day or two ago, so maybe it’s been referenced somewhere, but it strikes me as required reading for the kind of Duke fan who reads DBR frequently.

It’s a little hard for me to read such an article without falling back on perspectives from my day job as a psychiatrist; or without thinking about the impact of OAD; or without feeling secondarily traumatized by imagining what it would be like to have a 4-hour fight on a hard-packed beach, mano-a-mano, with my brother, who also happens to be an angry Justise Winslow.

The article has some silver linings, or maybe some silver threads, but I came away not wanting to opine further about a fragile young life, still very much a work in progress.

Thanks for sharing. Great read. Must spread sporks.

Yes, thanks very much for sharing. One hopes that he is working with a mental health professional for therapy around what seems to be some pretty deep personal trauma. To have a 4 hour fistfight with your brother is pretty intense. He is still very young and hopefully can continue to hone a daily mental health practice that keeps him in a good place. It’s great that younger athletes have shared mental health struggles with the world to continue to de stigmatize seeking help.

Thanks for pointing out the article. Definitely worth reading. Hope Winslow continues to succeed on the court, but more importantly in life.

As an aside, these kind of articles are why I pay for The Athletic. If you are into sports beyond Duke, it's definitely worth the money. Though they do provide reasonable coverage of Duke hoops, too.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Thank you for sharing. It was a really interesting article. It was very sad to read how low his life got, and I'm glad to see that he has been doing better.

As I read the article I thought about the role of "The Brotherhood" - I wondered whether any members of the Duke basketball community were aware of what was happening and tried to get involved?

All of these basketball players are in a big rush to go pro and make a lot of money, but it is really key for them to have a proper support system around them, especially if there are injuries or they don't play as well as they think they will.

very much like the music/movie biz
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

What a beautiful story, both the story itself and the telling. The Athletic is worth every penny I pay.
    The stereotype of NBA’ers who blow their money and spend their time clubbing and chasing tail is that they are just young and dumb jocks. Winslow was young but as I hear him describing his journey - his inner journey - I am struck by what a sensitive and self-aware man he is. He understands himself far better than I did at his age, maybe more than I do today. Justice is an amazing athlete but with an artist’s sensibilities. He took a journey into darkness but with the help of a loving sibling and an amazing coach Spoelstra fought his way into the light. What emerged is an impressive young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    What a beautiful story, both the story itself and the telling. The Athletic is worth every penny I pay.
    The stereotype of NBA’ers who blow their money and spend their time clubbing and chasing tail is that they are just young and dumb jocks. Winslow was young but as I hear him describing his journey - his inner journey - I am struck by what a sensitive and self-aware man he is. He understands himself far better than I did at his age, maybe more than I do today. Justice is an amazing athlete but with an artist’s sensibilities. He took a journey into darkness but with the help of a loving sibling and an amazing coach Spoelstra fought his way into the light. What emerged is an impressive young man.
    Came out of that article as a pretty major Spo fan. And will root for Justise even more.

Very nice to read, thanks for posting.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Came out of that article as a pretty major Spo fan. And will root for Justise even more.
    Same.

Justise is one of few 1 and done's that I can remember. So sorry for his problems, but glad things are turning around for him!

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Yeah. Spo is a good dude.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club