Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Huh, the Pack last won the ACC BBall tourney in 1989 and ACC football in 1987. You mean none of the current Pack players are 34+?
    Oden went to Ohio State in the b11111g.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Oden went to Ohio State in the b11111g.
    There is a great article up on The Ringer about Oden - he is now DoBO at Butler, working for Thad Matta, who was his college coach. It seems like he has had some major ups and downs in his life but is in a pretty good place now. It seems like there are so many stories of young NBA players who get hurt then don't have any structure when they are away from the team so they develop other problems (I think Justise Winslow had similar challenges) - not sure why NBA teams are not more aware of this. But I guess this is a discussion for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Huh, the Pack last won the ACC BBall tourney in 1989 and ACC football in 1987. You mean none of the current Pack players are 34+?
    State won the RS in 89. They last won the tournament in 87. I was the flower boy in a wedding that weekend. The couple who got married’s daughter (their youngest child) just had her first child. Jon Scheyer wasn’t alive then.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think he lost the team when he insisted on coaching in this, when nobody else was:

https://twitter.com/rushthecourt/sta...26777384128513

Also, being below .500 for his GT career with one NCAAT appearance just didn't cut it. With the talent that comes out of Atlanta, that program should be better.
    As a lifelong Atlantan, I can tell you that Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant of a basketball school. The parents of the high level talent that comes out of Atlanta are old enough to remember when Tech ruled the city. This is still a Tech town, despite the recent success of the UGA football program. It would only take one class of exciting players to wake things up around here. I know said parents would love for their kids to stay close to home to play for a program on the rise.

With the right African American coach, IMHO, Tech could be a powerhouse. I was actually scared when Jeff Capel interviewed for the job back when the Jackets ultimately hired Pastner.

On top of that, Atlanta is a destination city for young African American basketball players, unlike say Lawrence, Kansas, or the research triangle. I am still not sure what happened to Hewitt, maybe he wasn't a great bench coach, but he was able to get talent to Tech, and the right man could easily get the ball rolling again quickly.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    State won the RS in 89. They last won the tournament in 87. I was the flower boy in a wedding that weekend. The couple who got married’s daughter (their youngest child) just had her first child. Jon Scheyer wasn’t alive then.
    I saw it at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD. Bought tickets from a scalper in the parking lot just before the first game at just about face value. Duke lost in OT to State in the quarterfinals -- so that was that for Duke, but State was a winner. We also lost in the round of 16 in the NCAAs to eventual winner Indiana (no overtime, but fairly close at 88-82).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    You’re right, think last State football championship was 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    As a lifelong Atlantan, I can tell you that Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant of a basketball school. The parents of the high level talent that comes out of Atlanta are old enough to remember when Tech ruled the city. This is still a Tech town, despite the recent success of the UGA football program. It would only take one class of exciting players to wake things up around here. I know said parents would love for their kids to stay close to home to play for a program on the rise.

With the right African American coach, IMHO, Tech could be a powerhouse. I was actually scared when Jeff Capel interviewed for the job back when the Jackets ultimately hired Pastner.

On top of that, Atlanta is a destination city for young African American basketball players, unlike say Lawrence, Kansas, or the research triangle. I am still not sure what happened to Hewitt, maybe he wasn't a great bench coach, but he was able to get talent to Tech, and the right man could easily get the ball rolling again quickly.
    My son-in-law, a UGa grad with his finger on the pulse in Athens and, less so, sports in the state, thinks Tech would be crazy not to consider Amir Abdur-Rahim at Kennesaw State. I believe OPK has posted this week about the great job he has done to turn that program around and get them in the dance this year. He’s a native of Marietta, also.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    My son-in-law, a UGa grad with his finger on the pulse in Athens and, less so, sports in the state, thinks Tech would be crazy not to consider Amir Abdur-Rahim at Kennesaw State. I believe OPK has posted this week about the great job he has done to turn that program around and get them in the dance this year. He’s a native of Marietta, also.
    It will be hard for KSU to keep him, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It will be hard for KSU to keep him, agreed.
    I should re-phrase and say my sil thinks Tech will definitely consider him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, [Payne] is in his first year. He was terrible this year, no doubt, but you can't give up on him that fast. If nothing else, there is a serious financial cost to doing so.
    Jason, you're a poker player. If a hand is this bad, is it really going to get any better? Fold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Jason, you're a poker player. If a hand is this bad, is it really going to get any better? Fold!!!
    He’s on a draw, let’s see what the next card is first.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He’s on a draw, let’s see what the next card is first.
    I see what you did there, but I believe you should have capitalized the 'C'

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    CD said ACC. Pearl and Golden are SEC.

Jon is also likely the only ACC men's basketball coach who also has Israeli citizenship.
    Aren’t “we” all, technically? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Aren’t “we” all, technically? 😉
    If we choose to be - I think Scheyer formally opted in when he was playing there. Given the way things are over there right now, not sure if I'm exercising that option...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If we choose to be - I think Scheyer formally opted in when he was playing there. Given the way things are over there right now, not sure if I'm exercising that option...
    Probably the right time to do so in support….but not going there on this forum.

Back to MBB. More on the St. John’s coaching vacancy.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/breaki...pasteboard_app

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

It is coaching malpractice for Ga Tech to be as bad as they have been when you consider the basketball talent in the metro Atlanta area each you. If you could only get 1/3rd of the top 100 basketball studs who live in the region to come to Tech, you'd have a top 25 program every year.

I hope GT finds a good hire. The decline of this program since the great days of the 80s and 90s is one of the reasons the ACC just isn't up to snuff any more.

According to CBS' Matt Norlander, the names expected to be in the mix include --

Some names who could be in play to succeed Pastner include Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim, FAU's Dusty May, Charleston's Pat Kelsey, Furman's Bob Richey and Tulane's Ron Hunter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I hope GT finds a good hire. The decline of this program since the great days of the 80s and 90s is one of the reasons the ACC just isn't up to snuff any more.
    I agree with that, big time. Add in the Wuffies, but State, like Wake, is "just another Tobacco Road team". (That's not a knock, just a fact.) Cremins widened the conference footprint and GT was a program that was always dangerous. When we lost Maryland, it left them and Clemson as the only other OGs. I'd love to see them be relevant again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I might just fall out of my chair if Georgia Tech brings Ron Hunter back to Atlanta...

Georgia Tech might also consider setting their sights a little higher than mid-major coaches. Has Nate McMillan moved out of the area yet? He's never coached college basketball, but he is an ACC guy: he grew up in Raleigh and spent 2 seasons at NC State.

I also considered Jerry Stackhouse, mostly to spite UNC, but I wonder if SEC to ACC is still considered lateral, given the changing conference landscape. Vanderbilt is in a much better situation than Georgia Tech, long term.

It is coaching malpractice for Ga Tech to be as bad as they have been when you consider the basketball talent in the metro Atlanta area each you. If you could only get 1/3rd of the top 100 basketball studs who live in the region to come to Tech, you'd have a top 25 program every year.

According to CBS' Matt Norlander, the names expected to be in the mix include --"Some names who could be in play to succeed Pastner include Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim, FAU's Dusty May, Charleston's Pat Kelsey, Furman's Bob Richey and Tulane's Ron Hunter."
    I assume all of those candidates can "coach", but I'm not sure how you'd predict if any of them can recruit.

I kinda think that's the challenge for all the coaches in the ACC that are trying to establish themselves (outside of Scheyer). I wouldn't describe any of them as great recruiters, as far as I can tell. Am I overlooking one? I mean, even the established coaches that remain (Bennett & Larranaga) aren't known for that. Without that, asking the the Magic 8 Ball "How will the ACC do in the future?" kinda points to "Outlook not so good".

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I also considered Jerry Stackhouse, mostly to spite UNC, but I wonder if SEC to ACC is still considered lateral, given the changing conference landscape. Vanderbilt is in a much better situation than Georgia Tech, long term.
    Disagree. Stackhouse won half of the SEC award because he met the requirement. He "did more with less". But he'll always have less at Vandy.
    I don't know if he'd be successful at GT, but he'd have more to work with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."