Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Honestly that feels about right. I've heard that rumor bounced around for a few weeks now.
    texas.jpg

A number of folks in this thread seem to need their sarcasm meters tuned a little.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought Hansbrough was the one who majored in traveling at UNC?
    Priceless!!

Brey

I always liked Brey. He opened his presser today with: "So I've got to step down to get the football conference room? That's unbelievable. I finally got over here."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Honestly that feels about right. I've heard that rumor bounced around for a few weeks now.

Imagine Cal with the NIL potential from Texas boosters who want to see their program compete at the highest level.
    Kentucky has plenty of NIL money to attract and retain guys. Recruiting is not Cal’s problem at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Kentucky has plenty of NIL money to attract and retain guys. Recruiting is not Cal’s problem at Kentucky.
    Cal ain't going anywhere. He has a ridiculous class coming in next year (#2, #3, #4, and #9 recruits in the class according to the 247 composite) and has a fairly complicated lifetime contract at Kentucky that won't be easy to get out of. I mean, if Texas or someone want to offer him significantly more than he is making right now at Ky with at least 5 -7 years guaranteed then maybe he would consider it, but I think he's likely staying at Kentucky. The win over Tennessee calmed a lot of nerves down in the Bluegrass state, I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    One of the potential silver linings in the whole NIL free-for-all is that is reduces the competitive advantage of having a coach who excels at skirting recruiting rules. As such, as a coach's value is now tied more directly to other things like game strategy and preparation, player development, motivation, getting players to buy in, etc.

I almost feel bad* for guys who have spent their entire career perfecting strategies for plausible deniability, only to find there is no longer anything to deny.

Hmm, I'm not sure why I am posting this in a thread that discusses Calipari.

*Actually, I don't feel bad for them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cal ain't going anywhere. He has a ridiculous class coming in next year (#2, #3, #4, and #9 recruits in the class according to the 247 composite) and has a fairly complicated lifetime contract at Kentucky that won't be easy to get out of. I mean, if Texas or someone want to offer him significantly more than he is making right now at Ky with at least 5 -7 years guaranteed then maybe he would consider it, but I think he's likely staying at Kentucky. The win over Tennessee calmed a lot of nerves down in the Bluegrass state, I think.
    I think all it would take is two losses in a row, and Big Blue Nation will start screaming again. KU is going to be at Rupp at the end of the month. If UK gets thumped, and if that combines with another loss, Cal's on the fanbase's radar... But I agree that he's likely not leaving. I just like the drama over there (which, I hope, never reaches Concerned Iron Dukes status again here).

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Cal ain't going anywhere. He has a ridiculous class coming in next year

If he went to Texas, or anywhere else, that recruiting class would follow him just like when he left from Memphis to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    A number of folks in this thread seem to need their sarcasm meters tuned a little.
    I'm likely one of those... My teenage son signaling "whoosh" to indicate that something has gone over my head has become a somewhat regular occurrence these days, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I'm likely one of those... My teenage son signaling "whoosh" to indicate that something has gone over my head has become a somewhat regular occurrence these days, unfortunately.
    If I were a teenage son I might do that just to mess with the old man.

Leaving Kentucky for Texas doesn't make any sense. Sort of like voluntarily leaving the Yankees to go to Cleveland, or some such. Particularly at this stage in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Leaving Kentucky for Texas doesn't make any sense. Sort of like voluntarily leaving the Yankees to go to Cleveland, or some such. Particularly at this stage in his career.
    John is about to turn 64. With all his success -- 2012 NCAA championship, six FF, undefeated regular season (2011), 15 conference championships, tons of NBA players -- why should he start over anywhere?

While Kentucky fandom appears fickle (are the cries of out rage coming from 10 percent, one percent or 0.1 percent?), the "adults in the room" will remember how awful it was in the ten years before Calipari. I predict he sticks around Lexington for a few years.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Boeheim

Did anyone hear his very strange exchange in the post-Wake conference? “I gave my retirement speech last week, but it’s up to the University whether I return.”

Why be so difficult with the press? Is he perhaps trying to force the university to fire him so he collects more contract money?

Also, Ole Miss is leaning toward Chris Beard for its opening.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Did anyone hear his very strange exchange in the post-Wake conference? “I gave my retirement speech last week, but it’s up to the University whether I return.”

Why be so difficult with the press? Is he perhaps trying to force the university to fire him so he collects more contract money?

Also, Ole Miss is leaning toward Chris Beard for its opening.
    Boeheim is feeling a little "Willie Mays wandering around the Mets outfield"-ish to me. Time to exit the stage. Past time.

But his kids can follow him, no?

Obviously Notre Dame needs to hire Wojo and Syracuse should grab Nate James before he takes other opportunities. We'll then only be 11 coaches away from being able to restore the ACC to its former glory. Well, maybe just 10 more coaches. No Blue Devil would wear baby blue.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Obviously Notre Dame needs to hire Wojo and Syracuse should grab Nate James before he takes other opportunities. We'll then only be 11 coaches away from being able to restore the ACC to its former glory. Well, maybe just 10 more coaches. No Blue Devil would wear baby blue.
    You sure about that?

Warning: that's a link to the post from the Announcer Thread that included an image of Jay Williams revealing a Carolina jersey under his suit.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Basketball tradition-wise and recruiting, yes, edge to Kentucky. But those are the only things in which Kentucky has an advantage over Texas. Everything else greatly favors Texas — much better school academically, much better and wealthier athletic program, better basketball venue (Texas brand-new state-of-the-art Moody Center), and the biggest trump card of all, imo……you get to live in Austin.

Sure, he’s been getting elite recruiting classes every year since coming to Kentucky, but I’m confident he would consistently get Top 10 classes at Texas. And anyway, what have all of these Top 3 recruiting classes been doing for Calipari these last few years? Not a whole lot as far as I can tell.

If he were smart, he’d go to Texas. But honestly, I don’t want him to. I’m not a Calipari fan. I do like him better than Rick Pitino, though. 😉

How long before Patrick Ewing “decides to step down” at GTown?