Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    You think he'd consider the surely-soon-to-be-available Georgetown gig?
    No way at 67 he's interested in a long term rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I think that's GT, and I'll predict every basketball player that gets through ND admissions can pass calculus at GT.

ND is not an easy place to win.
    I seriously doubt this. Bobby Cremins made sure they created a new major that he could enroll his basketball players in. It may have had a fancier name, but it was basically General Studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I seriously doubt this. Bobby Cremins made sure they created a new major that he could enroll his basketball players in. It may have had a fancier name, but it was basically General Studies.
    They used to have a lot of “hotel management” majors IIRC too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They used to have a lot of “hotel management” majors IIRC too.
    I don't know if it is still true but Carolina used to have a "Recreation" major (I believe what used to be call "Physical Education", in the old days). I remember looking at a Carolina basketball program and seeing that something like 12 out of the 15 players on the team were "Recreation" majors. Of course, this was before the scandal with the African-American Studies department.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I don't know if it is still true but Carolina used to have a "Recreation" major (I believe what used to be call "Physical Education", in the old days). I remember looking at a Carolina basketball program and seeing that something like 12 out of the 15 players on the team were "Recreation" majors. Of course, this was before the scandal with the African-American Studies department.
    yes, I remember that from some early TV games, must've been a really captivating department given all the players who majored in it...who doesn't like sandboxes and large swing sets?

The front page article lists some possible candidates include K disciples Wojo and Hurley. I'd love to see Wojo get another gig but he seems content in retirement. It's a fair question to ask how desirable the job really is in a football school trapped between conferences. I would consider it a step down for Holtmann, or a lateral move at the very least.

I wonder if Chris Carrawell would get serious consideration? He's been an assistant for a long time now. More likely he'd have to start off by taking over a smaller school like Nate James did at Austin Peay, but it's not out of the question.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If I were looking at any past Duke guys, I'd look at Amaker, who is obviously happy at Harvard but not opposed to leaving since he would have taken the Duke job. (Duh to that last point.)

He and his wife are a team, and she's not going anywhere that she wouldn't take pride in teaching, or so I've read, and it seems that ND would fit that restriction.

That being said, if I were an ND fan, I'd be looking for a fresh start with a fresh face, which rules out any of the K coaching tree.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The front page article lists some possible candidates include K disciples Wojo and Hurley. I'd love to see Wojo get another gig but he seems content in retirement. It's a fair question to ask how desirable the job really is in a football school trapped between conferences. I would consider it a step down for Holtmann, or a lateral move at the very least.

I wonder if Chris Carrawell would get serious consideration? He's been an assistant for a long time now. More likely he'd have to start off by taking over a smaller school like Nate James did at Austin Peay, but it's not out of the question.
    Yea, I was wondering whether some of the K disciples might be in consideration. I assume Wojo is Catholic (which is always a plus at ND) and, in some ways, I could see him fitting the ND "mold" (I think he actually looks a little like the actor who played "Rudy" in the ND football movie) BUT he did not have a great run at Marquette and that has to be a negative for him; not sure the ND job is better than the the Arizona State job and whether Bobby H would have any interest in moving to South Bend (bad winters) after living in AZ? Not to be ageist, but I would guess ND might want someone younger than Tommy Amaker and it seems like Tommy and his wife have good gigs at Harvard/Boston so why leave for a somewhat nebulous situation at ND?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Michael Jordan came back to UNC to get his degree in Geography. When asked what he would do with a degree in geography, Jordan responded — “travel!”

I’ve heard that story as true, at least.

You heard it hear first, Notre Dame will hire John Calipari for their next coach. Cal is tired of Kentucky and they are tired of him. Cal is Catholic and a daily churchgoer. ND understands that sports help the Univeristy. I think ND looks the other way in terms of Cal's checkered past and brings him to South Bend.

Excuse me while I head to the sports book...

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    You heard it hear first, Notre Dame will hire John Calipari for their next coach. Cal is tired of Kentucky and they are tired of him. Cal is Catholic and a daily churchgoer. ND understands that sports help the Univeristy. I think ND looks the other way in terms of Cal's checkered past and brings him to South Bend.

Didn’t know Cal was a devout Catholic but that definitely tracks.

Michael Jordan came back to UNC to get his degree in Geography. When asked what he would do with a degree in geography, Jordan responded — “travel!”

I thought Hansbrough was the one who majored in traveling at UNC?

I think he'd have been better off studying Architecture.

I highly doubt this, but suppose we'll see. Cal and Pitino are tainted, and I find it unlikely either will be approached. If ND truly was serious about fielding a top-notch basketball program, they would have made a move to replace Brey awhile ago. Football is the straw that stirs the drink in South Bend.

My guess is they approach Monty Williams, who will say 'thanks, but no thanks,' before sifting through the ranks. Not sure if they'd approach Beilein, given he's now 70—I imagine they'll try for someone young and upcoming (like they did with Freeman for football). The expectations for basketball at ND just aren't as insanely high as those for football, so they have a bit more leeway to roll the dice on an up-and-comer. My guess is they end up with someone like Mich Shrewsberry, Pat Kelsey, Martin Ingelsby, or Ryan Humphrey (depending on whether they decide to hire a promising alum from Brey's sphere of influence or wipe the slate clean and start from scratch).

1389412883_8616f_lg.jpg
    link to higher resolution
    He should have continued his "Beginning Tennis" and Portuguese (I guess no Swahili at the time?). I do like PHYA "Required Activities" as a course although there are 6 listed that semester, so I'll give him a break.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I think he'd have been better off studying Architecture.
    Children's Lit
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Highly, highly unlikely.

If Cal was leaving Kentucky it would most likely be to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If Cal was leaving Kentucky it would most likely be to Texas
    Honestly that feels about right. I've heard that rumor bounced around for a few weeks now.

Imagine Cal with the NIL potential from Texas boosters who want to see their program compete at the highest level.

Yeah, Brey makes about two million, Calipari demands WAY more than that, plus comes with a lot of ooze ND won't be wanting.