Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Would not surprise me in the least if Boeheim sought out a mid major (not speaking specifically about Iona), where he could pick up an easy 20-30 wins a year in his quest to catch K.
    Except for he already came out and said he would never leave the city of Syracuse and never leave Syracuse University. And that's a good thing. He's done, and he certainly doesn't have the energy, nor apparently the desire, to start over somewhere else at this point in his life. It was time for him to exit the stage, and he knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    He knows what “in a New York minute” means, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He knows what “in a New York minute” means, at least.
    Hay-O!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That might be a blessing for State. I have never had the feeling that he's taking them to the next level.
    Well he took them to A level at least. Had they been to the tournament since Sendek before this year?

Well he took them to A level at least. Had they been to the tournament since Sendek before this year?
    Gottfried and made sweet 16 once I think.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'll say they've reached the B+ level at most. No regular season champ, no ACC tourney champ, and a quick out from the NCAAs. (I don't count winning a play in game for much, not from an ACC school at least.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Gottfried and made sweet 16 once I think.
    Lowe made 0 tournaments.
    Gott made 4 and had a 6-4 record, although always as a low seed - made 2 Sweet 16s despite never being better than an 8.
    Keatts was in his second tournament this year and has yet to record a tourney win.

State hasn’t been higher than an 8 seed since the days of Julius Hodge (3-seed in 2004) - that’s actually the only time in the past 35 years State was a top 4 seed.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    All the best to Mike Brey.
    Is he going to get an astronaut pen for coaching at Del Boca Vista?

Speaking of coaching Mikes, this has to be Mike Anderson's last "We'll give him a shot," right? He's been recycled by enough schools at this point.

Ah, See Ya ....FDU

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Good for him. He seems to have a great, positive, infectious personality and got the most out of that FDU team. He deserves to move up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    He had to make that move. Iona has been one of the better smaller-conference programs for a while - it's probably a better job than some of the lower-resourced mid-majors. And the NEC is the worst non-HBCU conference in Division I. You absolutely have to leverage that upset into a better gig.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Good for him. He seems to have a great, positive, infectious personality and got the most out of that FDU team. He deserves to move up the ladder.
    I'm sure getting the chance to fill a seat Rick Pitino has warmed up is a nice perky on the resume.

Good for Iona to move quickly here, and to capitalize on their past relationship with Tobin Anderson. He'll be coaching in the MAAC against Greg Paulus and Baker Dunleavy.

But I wonder if Anderson could have landed an even higher profile job, like Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Good for Iona to move quickly here, and to capitalize on their past relationship with Tobin Anderson. He'll be coaching in the MAAC against Greg Paulus and Baker Dunleavy.

But I wonder if Anderson could have landed an even higher profile job, like Providence.
    I was thinking that but I think that would be a stretch for him. He did a great job and seems like a really good guy. But he has never set foot in a high major locker room as a player, assistant coach, or coach. Becoming a Big East head coach, particularly in this era of NIL and quick transfers, would be a huge leap for him.

I am very happy for him and think it is a good move for Iona. I know it is how the world works and do not blame him at all for his decision, but it is sad that these schools like FDU and St. Peter's achieve a little success and it is over so quickly as everyone moves on. I always admire the coaches who choose to stay at the smaller places and have a lifetime of success.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I am very happy for him and think it is a good move for Iona. I know it is how the world works and do not blame him at all for his decision, but it is sad that these schools like FDU and St. Peter's achieve a little success and it is over so quickly as everyone moves on. I always admire the coaches who choose to stay at the smaller places and have a lifetime of success.
    Completely agree, and like Shaheen Holloway last year, he'll probably bring some players with him as well.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    USF isn't Brey's next destination.

According to ESPN’s Pete Thamel, Brey interviewed for the USF job was an offer was never extended. Some time off will be taken from the coaching world as Brey now looks to find a role in television moving forward.

“Notre Dame coach Mike Brey tells ESPN he interviewed for USF, but was not offered the job, Thamel said. “He said he’s going to take some time off and pursue television.”
    https://www.on3.com/news/head-coach-...ighting-irish/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bobby Hurley signed at extension at ASU.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Speaking of coaching Mikes, this has to be Mike Anderson's last "We'll give him a shot," right? He's been recycled by enough schools at this point.
    I had to take a closer look at Mike Anderson because I didn't consider him to be the failing upward type.

UAB: 4 seasons, 89-41 (.685), 3 NCAAT, one Sweet 16. You may remember it.

I wish there were a clearer version of that.

Missouri: 5 seasons, 111-57 (.661), 3 NCAAT, one Elite Eight.
    Arkansas: 8 seasons, 169-102 (.624), 3 NCAAT, two Round of 32 appearances.
    St. John's: 4 seasons, 68-56 (.548), no NCAAT or NIT appearances.

Yeah, his winning percentage dipped a little with every subsequent job, but he never had a losing season. He's 63 now; if he wants to keep going, I could see a mid-major program seeking him out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Bobby Hurley signed at extension at ASU.
    Most surprising thing so far.

We have the George Mason coach off to Providence. Cooley to GT. Anderson to Iona. Hurley staying put. What else?

Quote Originally Posted by dukewolf View Post
    Most surprising thing so far.

We have the George Mason coach off to Providence. Cooley to GT. Anderson to Iona. Hurley staying put. What else?
    I think UVA is preparing for Bennett's top assistant, Jason Williford, to get his own program this year. He's in the mix at Mason (his wife is a partner at a DC law firm) and has been mentioned for the Temple vacancy. His son, Austin, is a D-1 prospect in the 2025 class.