Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Did anyone hear his very strange exchange in the post-Wake conference? “I gave my retirement speech last week, but it’s up to the University whether I return.”

Why be so difficult with the press? Is he perhaps trying to force the university to fire him so he collects more contract money?

Also, Ole Miss is leaning toward Chris Beard for its opening.
    He had a great record as a coach but I found him to be a first class whiner with a huge ego and a sense of entitlement. It is time for him to leave the scene.

Mark Adams steps down at Texas Tech.

Turns out calling your players slaves is not a great motivational tactic.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sketball-coach
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mark Adams steps down at Texas Tech.

Turns out calling your players slaves is not a great motivational tactic.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sketball-coach
    I found it very strange when Texas Tech hired Mark Adams to be their head coach. To me he just seemed like a guy from the distant past. I was perplexed as to how the Tech AD thought Adams would appeal to high school recruits.

I’m not at all surprised how this thing played out.

Mark Fox out at Cal.

Hope Nate James and Steve Wojo can get a plum coaching gig

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Mark Fox out at Cal.
    Cal is not an easy job, but Fox deserved it. Never even got to .500 in any of his four seasons, and this year was a Louisville-esque 3-29. That's really pretty hard to imagine.

Better coaches than Fox have struggled at Cal, despite the many, many strong high school players and programs in Northern California. They have had decent success under Ben Braun and Mike Montgomery but since then -- nothing. Haven't won a NCAAT game in a decade. It's not the worst P6 job in the country, but it's down there, as is Ole Miss, also currently open until they hire Chris Beard.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Mark Fox out at Cal.
    SF Chronicle headline: Cal fires men’s basketball head coach Mark Fox after historic 3-29 season

I assume it set a record for worst season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    SF Chronicle headline: Cal fires men’s basketball head coach Mark Fox after historic 3-29 season

The band is on the field….

SF Chronicle headline: Cal fires men’s basketball head coach Mark Fox after historic 3-29 season.
    Can’t wait for his last press conference:

Ewing Out at Georgetown

During the NBC halftime show of the A-10 Tournament (Dayton v. St. Joe’s), they are reporting that Ewing is out at Georgetown.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...past-2-seasons

Confirmation from Bleacher

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    During the NBC halftime show of the A-10 Tournament (Dayton v. St. Joe’s), they are reporting that Ewing is out at Georgetown.
    Maybe they'll give Kenny Blakeney a look. He wouldn't even have to move.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Patrick Ewing out.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's been really great at Howard this year too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He's been really great at Howard this year too.
    Well earned COY in the MEAC. My suggestion definitely wasn't in jest; the Hoyas would be smart to take a look. The familiarity with the area can only help.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I hear Kenny Payne is using this to argue for his retention through 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There’s a small voice in the back of my head telling me that Mike Brey is about to receive a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwGT2 View Post
    Patrick Ewing out.
    I was on Georgetown’s campus last weekend and this was posted on a bulletin board in an academic building.

0245EE62-9214-4AB0-9DA4-357DB6EBB338.jpg

An ESPN article speculating on coaching move possibilities mentions Capel and Brey for Georgetown and Hurley for Georgia Tech and St. Johns (Hurley on the West coast has always seemed a little strange). It also says Texas had reached out to Snyder before he took the Hawks job.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    There’s a small voice in the back of my head telling me that Mike Brey is about to receive a phone call.
    Jimmy B heel turn incoming!

Duke's sister school in NY, St. John's, doesn't technically have an opening yet, but it sounds like there's some buzz building for Pitino there: https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-p...rce=NYPTwitter

If he wins there - and if he gets the job, he will win there - he'll wake the sleeping giant and get more fawning NY media coverage than anyone this side of whichever coach gets the Knicks their next title in the year 2934. The Post will start covering them home and away again and they'll play most of their home games at MSG. He will make them an "it" team and be an "it" coach again. He likes playing fast and loose at Iona, which has never had any scruples, and giving a middle finger to the NCAA. But he can't handle being an afterthought. He'll be back on center stage at least until the next scandal, but no one will care when that happens because St. John's will have finally played on Friday at the Big East tournament and likely won a few NCAA games at long last.

I'm a little surprised this might be happening with or without Lou's blessing. But it's one thing to turn away Tim Cluess because he quit on Lou in the 80s, or to cut out Calipari because he once told a recruit Lou was dying (just a rumor, but it definitely sounds like something Cal would do). Maybe at nearly a century, Lou is willing to sign off on Pitino. But if you're St. John's, you have to do it even if he's not.