Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Coaching Carousel 2023

Mike Brey to step down.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tep-end-season

Some of wording makes me think he was nudged a bit by Swarbrick.

Mike Brey will end his time at Notre Dame

As opposed to what the front page says, this article says nothing about retiring. He does say, "It has been a great run for me and our program over the past two decades, but it is time for a new voice to lead this group into the future".

In any case, I've always like Brey for obviously reasons. His teams with Bonzie Colson (now playing in the Israeli League) were really solid, and Jerian Grant was also really great for the Irish. It would have been very interesting if Brey had decided this 2 years ago!

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Mike Brey to step down.

Some of wording makes me think he was nudged a bit by Swarbrick.
    Obviously a fairly big job in college BB. It will interesting to see who they go after.

Good coach. Performance has been slipping. Seems like a genuinely good dude. I wonder who ND gets to replace him. Pretty attractive gig.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    As opposed to what the front page says, this article says nothing about retiring. He does say, "It has been a great run for me and our program over the past two decades, but it is time for a new voice to lead this group into the future".
    You think he'd consider the surely-soon-to-be-available Georgetown gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    You think he'd consider the surely-soon-to-be-available Georgetown gig?
    Great fit! College basketball is better with some Hoya paranoia. I'm sure Georgetown would want that, and Brey did play and coach (as an assistant) at DeMatha...

9F

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's been a long time coming, but still, as a fan of Duke I've enjoyed having Brey to follow since his days at Delaware. And he managed to have far more success against his old boss than I would have ever have guessed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Good coach. Performance has been slipping. Seems like a genuinely good dude. I wonder who ND gets to replace him. Pretty attractive gig.
    Does every freshman at Notre Dame still need to take and pass calculus? If so, that's a recruiting obstacle.

I am not sure the job is that great. The facilities are behind the times and their recruiting budget is probably mid major level. I guess the good is that not many people care if the team loses or not. You won't face much fan pressure to win. Most ND fans pay more attention to football assistant coach hires than basketball scores.

Brey is commonly regarded as a “players coach” and one of the coaches you’d like to have a beer with. He is honest and forthcoming with reporters. Sad that his tenure at ND is ending on a down note, but he is well respected and will have opportunities to do whatever he chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I am not sure the job is that great. The facilities are behind the times and their recruiting budget is probably mid major level. I guess the good is that not many people care if the team loses or not. You won't face much fan pressure to win. Most ND fans pay more attention to football assistant coach hires than basketball scores.
    While I agree with you about ND's general sports focus (football), I'd venture 95% of the coaches in D1 would love to coach at Notre Dame/ACC.

With only Larranaga, Boeheim and Hamilton remaining of the (very) old guard, the ACC is filling in with new blood. Good time to come in as a new head coach.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Does every freshman at Notre Dame still need to take and pass calculus? If so, that's a recruiting obstacle.
    I think that's GT, and I'll predict every basketball player that gets through ND admissions can pass calculus at GT.

ND is not an easy place to win.

Wink

Wish he could have found another Bonzie Colson.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    That is true. It seems they recruit okay. They’re in a good-ish league usually. I am thinking the head coach is paid generously there. 5-10 years there could equate into a nice nest egg in your bank account and 15-20 years could create generational wealth. Like others have said, the ACC appears ripe for the taking. Bennett is probably the best coach in the ACC hands down once Hamilton and Larranaga retire. Other than that lots of unproven coaches. Brownell maybe?

Good decision

He’s 63 so he should have some gas left in the tank, but under the circumstances this is a good time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    He’s 63 so he should have some gas left in the tank, but under the circumstances this is a good time to go.
    I think he’d be a super analyst for the ACC, potentially like Seth Greenberg. He knows his stuff.

Well, it's 2023. New thread or do these go by hoops seasons, i.e. 2022-23?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Maybe an assistant coach to a young, up-and-coming head coach??? But I have absolutely no clue as to where that might be.

He has a very experienced lieutenant in Anthony Solomon, who also has some head coaching experience (though it was four really bad years at St. Bonaventure). So he is likely a logical candidate. However, given what a mess this season is they might want to start over, and Solomon is 58, not sure if he is the right answer.

The coach at Delaware, Martin Inglesby, is a former ND player and assistant coach and has been doing pretty well at Delaware. He is 44. It would be a fitting hire since Brey came to ND from Delaware.

I expect ND will do a thorough search to find the best candidate to replace Mike Brey.

ND has had only four coaches in the last 53 years -- and Matt Doherty (yikes!) coached only one year.