Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I can’t decide if I’m disappointed at Calipari not being the next coach at UT. I’ve been very satisfied with his results at UK for the past few years.
    If this happens, I fully expect Nate Oates to show up at UK. They only want to win, moral ambiguity is a feature, not a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But Texas has been to just one Final Four in the last 75 years. There is a chasm between where UTx fans think they should be, and where that program has been since Truman was celebrating his first term in the White House.
    I remember it well, the "Good O'l Days". Long before that eventful honeymoon. Am I right, OPK?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    But Dave Odom coached one of the best big guys to ever play in the ACC and NBA. I was listening to Dave Odom's call-in radio program one night and I called in and asked him who coached his big guys, mostly interested in Tim Duncan. He said he coached Wake's big guys. I guess it doesn't matter how tall you are when it comes to coaching HOF players.
    You forgot the obligatory Wojo reference.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I remember it well, the "Good O'l Days". Long before that eventful honeymoon. Am I right, OPK?
    Boy the way Glenn Miller played
    Songs that made The Hit Parade
    Guys like us we had it made
    Those were the days….

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Boy the way Glenn Miller played
    Songs that made The Hit Parade
    Guys like us we had it made
    Those were the days….

More like this for us Gen X'ers.

The Simpsons should do a revision for Millenials.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

More like this for us Gen X'ers.

The Simpsons should do a revision for Millenials.

9F
    Brilliant.

CBS Sports: Grant McCasland hired by Texas Tech: Red Raiders land Mean Green coach fresh off NIT championship

So that was quick. McCasland just won the NIT championship a few hours ago as head coach of North Texas. Onward and upward, as North Texas takes a step up from C-USA to the AAC, and McCasland takes two steps up, joining former AAC teams Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston in the Big XII.

Texas Tech closing means that every high-major job is now accounted for, and more than 50 schools in total have had turnover in this year's coaching carousel.

Stadium: 2023 College Basketball Coaching Changes Tracker

The annual game of musical chairs is coming to a close. This can't be a coincidence...

Last week: Internet goes weirdly nuts over this clip of Victor Wembanyama rebounding his own missed 3-pointer with a dunk. Someone asks, "Has any college player ever done this?" and someone else says, "Yeah, Roger Powell did it for Illinois in an NCAA Tournament." It was the 2005 Final Four semifinal against Louisville, at the end of this sequence.

This week: Gonzaga assistant coach Roger Powell, formerly a player at Illinois, gets his first head coaching job at Valparaiso. Strike while the iron is suddenly, almost randomly hot?

On the Wojo-in-the-Beehive-State front, no job there this year. Utah State has hired Montana State head coach Danny Sprinkle, and Southern Utah is finalizing terms with Western Illinois coach Rob Jeter.

Kennesaw State: Antoine Pettway Named Kennesaw State Men’s Basketball Head Coach

Pettway comes to the Black and Gold after a stellar 15 years on the Alabama coaching staff, which culminated in the Crimson Tide spending several weeks as the nation's No. 1 ranked team this past season. Known as one of the top recruiters in the nation, he brought in the third-ranked class in the nation in 2022 that included two five-star and two four-star recruits, highlighted by potential NBA Draft Top 3 pick and 2022-23 National Freshman of the Year Brandon Miller.
    A notable example of Pettway's work ethic was his playing career at Alabama, as he joined the Crimson Tide as a walk-on with an academic scholarship before earning a scholarship for his sophomore season. Starting with that sophomore season, Alabama made the NCAA Tournament his final three seasons, including the Elite Eight in the 2003-04 season. Pettway was an integral part of that run in 2004, starting every game that season at point guard.
    Pettway is the third assistant coach to leave Alabama basketball this offseason for a head coaching job. Georgia Southern hired Charlie Henry on March 14 and Arkansas State hired Bryan Hodgson on March 22, but those decisions were made before the Tide's season ended on March 24. So it's arguable whether these moves were about making the next logical career step or about leaving a potentially toxic situation.

Here’s the opposite of the Coaches Carousel thread…Dusty May 10-year extension at Florida Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/FAUMBB/status/16...thletic.com%2F

Will he become the Mark Few of the Southeast?

Any P5 school serious about basketball can buy out that contract if he's not a Dexy's Midnight Runners or Sir Mix-A-Lot. He has taken jobs like Iowa State, Clemson, etc. off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Here’s the opposite of the Coaches Carousel thread…Dusty May 10-year extension at Florida Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/FAUMBB/status/16...thletic.com%2F

Will he become the Mark Few of the Southeast?
    This is a good story, and I'll take it at face value -- Coach May is committed to the program, and the school is committed to improving its facilities -- but the practical/cynical side of me would note that coaches who make surprise runs to the Final Four often stay put because all the high-profile jobs filled up while they were still in the tournament.

Does that mean he'll stay in Boca Raton for the long haul? Maybe, maybe not. Here is a list of similarly situated coaches. (I left out Mark Few, Kelvin Sampson, and a few other coaches that were not similarly situated.)

Non-Power Conference Teams in the Final Four

1987 UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian stayed 5 more years, then left for NBA)
    1992 Cincinnati (Bob Huggins stayed 13 more years, then left for KSU)
    1996 Massachusetts (John Calipari did not stay, left for NBA)
    1998 Utah (Rick Majerus stayed 6 more years, then worked for ESPN)
    2003 Marquette (Tom Crean stayed 5 more years, then left for Indiana)
    2006 George Mason (Jim Larrañaga stayed 5 more years, then left for Miami)
    2010 Butler (Brad Stevens stayed 3 more years, then left for NBA)
    2011 VCU (Shaka Smart stayed 4 more years, then left for Texas)
    2013 Wichita State (Gregg Marshall stayed 7 more years, but resigned in 2020)
    2018 Loyola-Chicago (Porter Moser stayed 3 more years, then left for Oklahoma)
    2023 San Diego State (Brian Dutcher signed through 2026)
    2023 Florida Atlantic (Dusty May signs extension)

Note: John Calipari returned to the Final Four with Memphis in 2008, and stayed one more season before going to Kentucky. But aside from him, they all stayed at least 3 more years before moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is a good story, and I'll take it at face value -- Coach May is committed to the program, and the school is committed to improving its facilities -- but the practical/cynical side of me would note that coaches who make surprise runs to the Final Four often stay put because all the high-profile jobs filled up while they were still in the tournament.

Does that mean he'll stay in Boca Raton for the long haul? Maybe, maybe not. Here is a list of similarly situated coaches. (I left out Mark Few, Kelvin Sampson, and a few other coaches that were not similarly situated.)

Non-Power Conference Teams in the Final Four

1987 UNLV (Jerry Tarkanian stayed 5 more years, then left for NBA)
    1992 Cincinnati (Bob Huggins stayed 13 more years, then left for KSU)
    1996 Massachusetts (John Calipari did not stay, left for NBA)
    1998 Utah (Rick Majerus stayed 6 more years, then worked for ESPN)
    2003 Marquette (Tom Crean stayed 5 more years, then left for Indiana)
    2006 George Mason (Jim Larrañaga stayed 5 more years, then left for Miami)
    2010 Butler (Brad Stevens stayed 3 more years, then left for NBA)
    2011 VCU (Shaka Smart stayed 4 more years, then left for Texas)
    2013 Wichita State (Gregg Marshall stayed 7 more years, but resigned in 2020)
    2018 Loyola-Chicago (Porter Moser stayed 3 more years, then left for Oklahoma)
    2023 San Diego State (Brian Dutcher signed through 2026)
    2023 Florida Atlantic (Dusty May signs extension)

Note: John Calipari returned to the Final Four with Memphis in 2008, and stayed one more season before going to Kentucky. But aside from him, they all stayed at least 3 more years before moving on.
    Butler also made it in 2011. Back-to-back bridesmaids...

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Any P5 school serious about basketball can buy out that contract if he's not a Dexy's Midnight Runners or Sir Mix-A-Lot. He has taken jobs like Iowa State, Clemson, etc. off the table.
    Hey now, Sir Mix-A-Lot put out some bangers...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Butler also made it in 2011. Back-to-back bridesmaids...
    Yeah, I took it out because I was focusing on the breakthrough aspect on the coach's part, and I didn't think 2011 Brad Stevens was similarly situated. You could say the same about UNLV and Jerry Tarkanian in 1990 and 1991. I probably should have titled the list differently.

I didn't mention that Dusty May knows he has a pretty good FAU team coming back in 2024, not unlike Butler in 2011 (Final Four return) or Wichita State in 2014 (undefeated regular season and top seed).

Mike Brey to NBA’s Hawks

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ff-sources-say

Two Duke-types on the bench and one in the ownership group.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ff-sources-say

Two Duke-types on the bench and one in the ownership group.
    breyhawks.jpg
    (Pictured, left to right: Young, Old, Old-ish)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    breyhawks.jpg
    (Pictured, left to right: Young, Old, Old-ish)
    Fun bit 'O history. Snyder played at Duke while Brey was an assistant, and began coaching at Duke when Brey took the HC job at Delaware. Brey taking the job essentially opened up room on the bench for Quin.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."