Thread: RIP Sal Bando.

RIP Sal Bando.

Sal Bando, 3rd basemen for most of his playing days with the Oakland Athletics, has passed away at 78 years old. He had battled cancer for five years. Sal was an All-Star for 4 seasons, finished 2nd in MVP voting to teammate, Vida Blue in 1971. Sal was drafted in 1965 by the then Kansas City Athletics who moved to Oakland in 1968. Sal was the starting 3rd basemen for the parent team by then. He later played for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1977-1981 and became the GM for the Brewers in 1992-1999. Sal won 3 world series with the Athletics as the A's 3-peated 1972-1974. He is survived by wife Sandy and sons, Sal Jr, Sonny and Stef.
    I loved those Oakland teams back then almost as much as the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Sal Bando, 3rd basemen for most of his playing days with the Oakland Athletics, has passed away at 78 years old. He had battled cancer for five years. Sal was an All-Star for 4 seasons, finished 2nd in MVP voting to teammate, Vida Blue in 1971. Sal was drafted in 1965 by the then Kansas City Athletics who moved to Oakland in 1968. Sal was the starting 3rd basemen for the parent team by then. He later played for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1977-1981 and became the GM for the Brewers in 1992-1999. Sal won 3 world series with the Athletics as the A's 3-peated 1972-1974. He is survived by wife Sandy and sons, Sal Jr, Sonny and Stef.
    I loved those Oakland teams back then almost as much as the Cardinals.
    I remember Salvatore with the Milwaukee Brewers. I was too young to have watched him play with Oakland, but my dad told me about he and the other A’s from that legendary era — Catfish Hunter, Joe Rudi, Bert Campaneris, Reggie Jackson (who I later watched star with the NY Yankees), Vida Blue (great name, btw), Rollie Fingers (another great name!), Ken Holtzman, etc. Quite the dynasty.