Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP David Crosby

Terrible

On a positive note, Croz got tremendous mileage out of his body.

Thanks for the incredible music, RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    On a positive note, Croz got tremendous mileage out of his body.
    It's better to burn out (at 81), than to fade away.

RIP. My late father was the same age as Crosby and a huge fan - I grew up with much of his music - when I got my CD player my dad bought me So Far. He was an incredible talent.

Teach your children well.

Almost cut my hair…
    Bob Green

Sad. One of my favorite Twitter follows too, interacted with him a few times.

He was — complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He was — complicated.
    Definitely - I wish he had mended a few fences (especially, Nash’s) before departing.

Big Influence

His music influenced a lot of younger musicians. Here he is doing Wooden Ships with Jason Isbell.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Terrible
    Very bad day great musician .

I had a breakthrough as a musician when I learned how to play Guinnevere. Funky tuning, multiple time signature changes, impossible harmonies. Beautiful song and one of my favorites to play. Can’t sing it very well however. Just a rare talent, now gone. A time post of my personal journey through this world.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to meet David and his wife before one of his appearances at Red Rocks. He struck me as prickly and opinionated, but with a kind heart. His wife could not have been more lovely. I will always love his music.

RIP.

Have been a fan of CSN, CSNY, Stephen Stills, and Neil Young for decades, but I just listened to Crosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name album for the first time...and it's excellent. Kind of a hybrid of the Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and CSNY, which is of course not surprising given the personnel on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Have been a fan of CSN, CSNY, Stephen Stills, and Neil Young for decades, but I just listened to Crosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name album for the first time...and it's excellent. Kind of a hybrid of the Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and CSNY, which is of course not surprising given the personnel on the album.
    I will give a shout-out for Croz’s last five albums he put out in the last eight or so years. Extremely strong, and most people have never heard them. Arguably his most impressive personal periods, and I k ow that’s saying something heretical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Definitely - I wish he had mended a few fences (especially, Nash’s) before departing.
    Apparently he did, this from Nash's facebook page:

I know people tend to focus on how volatile our relationship has been at times, but what has always mattered to David and me more than anything was the pure joy of the music we created together, the sound we discovered with one another, and the deep friendship we shared over all these many long years.
    https://www.facebook.com/OfficialGrahamNash/

Though only they know how the relationship was recently, people tend to quickly forget the bad times when someone dies.

R.I.P.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    His music influenced a lot of younger musicians. Here he is doing Wooden Ships with Jason Isbell.

Damn, what a great rendition of a special song. Thank you for sharing that; I’d never seen it before. Wow. 👏

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Damn, what a great rendition of a special song. Thank you for sharing that; I’d never seen it before. Wow. ��
    and for those wondering about references to The 400 Unit on the Aerosmith/Eagles thread, that’s Jason’s backing band in the video (with sometime participant Amanda Shires on fiddle, Jason’s wife and a recording artist in her own right).

The friendship between Croz, Jason and Amanda was fun to follow on Twitter. Jason is, and Croz was, a great follow on Twitter.

More

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Damn, what a great rendition of a special song. Thank you for sharing that; I’d never seen it before. Wow. 👏
    It is a really nice version of the song. You can purchase the audio at the usual places, if you are so inclined.

Apparently Crosby's last live performance was of Neil Young's Ohio, again with Isbell and the 400 Unit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...ll/ar-AA16xqTJ

There is also an interesting and funny story about how David Crosby donated sperm to Melissa Etheridge, at the suggestion of Crosby's wife.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/me...et/ar-AA16zRM2

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It is a really nice version of the song. You can purchase the audio at the usual places, if you are so inclined.

Apparently Crosby's last live performance was of Neil Young's Ohio, again with Isbell and the 400 Unit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...ll/ar-AA16xqTJ

There is also an interesting and funny story about how David Crosby donated sperm to Melissa Etheridge, at the suggestion of Crosby's wife.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/me...et/ar-AA16zRM2
    So many "Come to my Window" jokes come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    So many "Come to my Window" jokes come to mind...
    You just earned a defenestration.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan