Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reeves question

Reeves question

I know he hasn't played much this year and there's probably not a lot of expectations for him to contribute this season. I was just curious of how his game differs offensively from D Lively.

I have read some write ups and watched some vids but if anyone can expand of this it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    I know he hasn't played much this year and there's probably not a lot of expectations for him to contribute this season. I was just curious of how his game differs offensively from D Lively.
    He's considered even less skilled offensively than Lively. Though it's closer on that end than it is on the defensive end. Lively really differentiates himself from Reeves on defense.

Thanks. That isn't too promising going forward if Lively, Flip and Young all leave.

Thanks. That isn't too promising going forward if Lively, Flip and Young all leave.
    If all three of those guys leave, I'd expect Sean Stewart to start at C. Reeves could quite well be a solid backup next year. And who knows? Maybe he surprises with his development.

Also, I think there's still a good chance Young would come back.

I'm not expecting Reeves to have a well-developed post-game, but in the minutes where we've seen him play, he seems to put himself in position to score off assists and offensive rebounds.

well I sure hope that with Duke passing on his redshirt and his lack of PT that he doesn't opt for the portal.

well I sure hope that with Duke passing on his redshirt and his lack of PT that he doesn't opt for the portal.
    He played at Oak Hill with ‘23 recruit, Caleb Foster. Hope they were good buddies.

That was a two-way decision. It sounds like he wasn't interested in redshirting. Whether that means he's more or less interested in transferring I don't know.

He was teammates and friends with Caleb Foster, so it's quite possible he intends to stay at least through next year.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That was a two-way decision. It sounds like he wasn't interested in redshirting. Whether that means he's more or less interested in transferring I don't know.

He was teammates and friends with Caleb Foster, so it's quite possible he intends to stay at least through next year.
    One way to read his decision not to redshirt is that he, or someone close to him, thinks he has the potential to begin a pro career earlier than in 5 years. Since legitimate 7-foot-1 players don't grow on trees, especially mobile ones for the modern game, that idea isn't necessarily far fetched. Lest us forget, after Countdown many on this board were CLAMORING for him to get big minutes immediately while Lively was out.

While Sean Stewart would certainly be a viable option to start at the 5, we've seen with Lively how it can be more challenging for bigs to adjust to the college game. With that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me if the staff's Option A is some combo of Young/Reeves/Filipowski (obviously the latter being a major question mark) at the 5 spot, giving Stewart time to develop (I haven't him pop up anywhere on future draft boards yet). But that's obviously an ideal world, and we know college basketball has a tendency to destroy the best laid plans.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Is redshirting even a thing anymore? I mean, I know it is a legal option for a player, but is anyone exercising that option anymore in the brave new world of college basketball mobility?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Is redshirting even a thing anymore? I mean, I know it is a legal option for a player, but is anyone exercising that option anymore in the brave new world of college basketball mobility?
    Probably still makes sense in football but a lot more options for basketball players from G-league to overseas professional play.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Also, I think there's still a good chance Young would come back.
    Is Ryan Young in grad school? I thought he was in a 2-year grad program for a master's but do not recall where I heard that.

Well the bigs will be a question mark for next season for sure until those players make decisions in 2-3 months. But I would assume that Duke will be keep all options open and their eye on the portal if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Exactly! Why would anyone think about redshirting this day and age in college basketball? Probably already a thing of the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Exactly! Why would anyone think about redshirting this day and age in college basketball? Probably already a thing of the past!
    Yeah. The next pandemic will give everyone an extra year anyway.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm not sure why Young would be gone next year. He is going to get as many minutes next year as he is getting this year. I don't see him getting drafted. Hopefully Flip will return for a super soph year. Those two, Reeves and Stewart would be a strong front court rotation.

If Young leaves along with Flip and Lively then we will most assuredly bring in a big out of the portal like we did with Young and Theo John. We’re loaded at the 4 between Stewart, Mgbako, Power, and potentially Mitchell coming back so I can see a lot of “two forwards, no centers” lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I'm not sure why Young would be gone next year. He is going to get as many minutes next year as he is getting this year. I don't see him getting drafted. Hopefully Flip will return for a super soph year. Those two, Reeves and Stewart would be a strong front court rotation.
    The NIL from the YMCA is going to be huge.

How many recruited players has Duke even redshirted in the last 15 years? Marshall Plumlee is the only one I remember. We've had several sit out a year after transferring, but that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    How many recruited players has Duke even redshirted in the last 15 years? Marshall Plumlee is the only one I remember. We've had several sit out a year after transferring, but that's different.
    Joey Baker, oh wait.