Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Young

Now we just need the Crazies to adopt the "Ry-MCA" chant, starting, of course, with "Young man!" I can't believe it hasn't been a thing this season.

This is great for next years team. I could see Ryan being a captain. Now it is wait and see about Flip, Mitchell and Proctor.

Fantastic! He always plays 'all in.'

This IS an early bit of good postseason news as this kid has been an awesome addition to the program.

Great news. He should be a captain next year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Awesome to have him back!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed inevitable that Young would come back to Duke for another year. I don't believe he has any possibility of playing professional basketball unless its overseas. He can't transfer anywhere else since he's used up his one freebie transfer. He's found a niche at Duke and it appears that Duke is expecting him back, based on their recruiting. The only counter-argument was that he only enrolled in a 1-year Duke Business degree program. Maybe he wasn't sure if he would stick, so that was his out after a year. So perhaps he'll do another 1-year degree.

I didn’t see Roach on that poster either. Must be coming back

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed inevitable that Young would come back to Duke for another year. I don't believe he has any possibility of playing professional basketball unless its overseas. He can't transfer anywhere else since he's used up his one freebie transfer. He's found a niche at Duke and it appears that Duke is expecting him back, based on their recruiting. The only counter-argument was that he only enrolled in a 1-year Duke Business degree program. Maybe he wasn't sure if he would stick, so that was his out after a year. So perhaps he'll do another 1-year degree.
    The "one free transfer" applies to undergrads. I believe that as a graduate of Duke he could do another grad transfer elsewhere. But would be limited to a program that doesn't exist at Duke. Which doesn't seem like a complicated hurdle of course, but just worth noting.

And there is no guarantee that he would continue to play college basketball. He could go into his career.

So while I agree that it is very likely that the most likely scenario is that he'd return, it wasn't a given.

He could get a waiver and transfer. If Duke does not have the program he is seeking, the NCAA would probably grant the waiver- since academics is the most important thing in their eyes

Hopefully he is getting some NIL cash

He could be on the path to Big Man Coach. That's a career and he's tall enough.

Quote Originally Posted by KKDL19 View Post
    This is great for next years team. I could see Ryan being a captain. Now it is wait and see about Flip, Mitchell and Proctor.
    Flip is not ready for NBA
    He would be shut out scoring
    And instantly be like Keels or Hurt
    All 3 of these names should return.
    Whitehead too
    Lively is the only freshman because of his potential.
    Just my opinion
    If they all leave, Tre Duval futures is my prediction

This is pretty awesome news. I could see him starting and playing 30 minutes, or I could see him coming off the bench and playing 10-15 minutes and not being unhappy about it. So we have a ton of flexiblity depending on how the other guys develop (i.e. Reeves, Stewart, some other transfer). And this may help bridge the transition to the "fewer freshmen each year" model that Jon has professed to be his goal if it allows Reeves to be a contributor as a junior rather than bringing in another freshman in 2025 to be young and get knocked back. Off the court he seems like a dedicated student and gaining a full MBA (rather than the one-year MBA thing) will be a huge asset for his own career.

Great news, he's a coach on the court.

GoDuke and GoRyan.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Flip is not ready for NBA
    He would be shut out scoring
    And instantly be like Keels or Hurt
    All 3 of these names should return.
    Whitehead too
    Lively is the only freshman because of his potential.
    Just my opinion
    If they all leave, Tre Duval futures is my prediction
    Duval had an actual physical condition (eye, and seeing/depth perception) that probably accounted for a facet of his game as a PG that was fatal to his NBA ambitions. None of those other 3 do. If Duke continues improving and wins out (one can hope!!!) I could see all of those 3 getting drafted. In general though, I agree that all 3 would benefit by returning for a So. season! There's NIL money available so, the earning potential would only be slightly less, but they would all have the chance to get drafted higher (assuming they show at least the same amount of improvement they've shown during this year so far). If i'm not mistaken, none of them are projected in the lottery right now, and the difference between rookie lottery contracts and those that fall outside is substantial. The difference between 1st and 2nd round picks even more so. Maybe worth waiting a year for.

So excited to have Ryan back again next year. That kind of experience is priceless!

I absolutely take nothing for granted in regards to player retention in this day and age.

Super stoked for this news. He's always working hard on every play. Reminds me of old school Duke.

I would absolutely expect him to be a big piece next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The "one free transfer" applies to undergrads. I believe that as a graduate of Duke he could do another grad transfer elsewhere. But would be limited to a program that doesn't exist at Duke. Which doesn't seem like a complicated hurdle of course, but just worth noting.

And there is no guarantee that he would continue to play college basketball. He could go into his career.

So while I agree that it is very likely that the most likely scenario is that he'd return, it wasn't a given.
    This is the brilliance, from an athletics point of view, of Duke's one-year MMS program. Very few schools offer 1-year graduate programs in business, so it's an easy grad transfer.

And conveniently, the program has real value for people fresh out of college who want to get a little business knowledge before hitting the working world, since most MBA program discourage applicants without any real-world experience. Seems like a potential no-brainer for people like Catchings and Johns who aren't allowed to play at Ivy league schools after graduating and can get a free degree that will increase their employability while helping out a young team as primarily practice players.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    In a world full of uncertainty, it’s reassuring to hear that Ryan Young will be returning to Duke in 2023-24.

Welcome back!

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...ne-return-2-23
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...indoor-stadium
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Given the demands of playing big time college basketball, the Fuqua MBA program would be quite difficult to fit in. There are a large number of group activities and projects that would be quite hard to fit around a basketball schedule. Also, the one-year business masters and the 2-year MBA are VERY DIFFERENT programs. You can't just jump from one to the other.

If Ryan wants to stick around another year, which I believe is a fairly likely possibility, there are many other programs that could appeal to him and make a lot of sense.
    Hmmm, Chronicle wrong or truth?
    confirmed that he will return to Cameron Indoor next season for his final year of eligibility. He will continue to pursue an MBA at the Fuqua School of Business.
    I honestly think they're just misinformed and conflated the MMS and MBA programs based on the fact that is says "continue to pursue" (which is WRONG since he's not in the MBA program), but it would be cool if he's next going for the MBA. He might qualify for the "Accelerated Daytime MBA" program.
    In less than a year our Accelerated Daytime MBA program builds on your prior knowledge to help you develop into a new kind of leader. Having already earned your master’s degree in management, at Fuqua you’ll skip the business fundamentals to immerse yourself in the electives and experiential learning opportunities that support your unique goals.
    https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/...ed-daytime-mba

Excited to have Ryan back next year!!