Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Young

Ryan Young

I know that Ryan is listed as a grad student but does he have eligibility for next year per Covid effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerulz View Post
    I know that Ryan is listed as a grad student but does he have eligibility for next year per Covid effect?
    Yes he does

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Yes he does
    This just made my day 😁

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Yes he does
    He may need to change his name to Ryan Old

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    This just made my day 😁
    Mine too.
    No soup for you!

Jon needs to name Ryan a captain. He is our leader.,
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    he certainly plays the game with a nuanced understanding lacking in our current captain.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He may need to change his name to Ryan Old
    Sporked

He is so fun to watch because he understands the game. Reminds be of a lesser talented Larry Bird always being one or two plays ahead. Is it safe to assume that he will play that extra year?

I have no inside knowledge of his plans, but he is enrolled in Fuqua's one year MMS program, so if he stuck around, he'd have to enroll in something else since he'll already have obtained that degree.

Incidentally, he was born in Quebec. Another Canadian. He went to high school in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I have no inside knowledge of his plans, but he is enrolled in Fuqua's one year MMS program, so if he stuck around, he'd have to enroll in something else since he'll already have obtained that degree.
    Wonder if he could convert to the two year MBA program?

I guess if I were him I’d see what the NIL has in store for me next year if I end up with a Duke degree on top of a Northwestern degree. The way he is playing this year could probably get him starter minutes on most
    Teams, including ours, so the differentiator might be
    NIL and love for Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Given the demands of playing big time college basketball, the Fuqua MBA program would be quite difficult to fit in. There are a large number of group activities and projects that would be quite hard to fit around a basketball schedule. Also, the one-year business masters and the 2-year MBA are VERY DIFFERENT programs. You can't just jump from one to the other.

If Ryan wants to stick around another year, which I believe is a fairly likely possibility, there are many other programs that could appeal to him and make a lot of sense.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistamassy View Post
    I guess if I were him I’d see what the NIL has in store for me next year if I end up with a Duke degree on top of a Northwestern degree. The way he is playing this year could probably get him starter minutes on most
    Teams, including ours, so the differentiator might be
    NIL and love for Duke?
    I'm guessing that there could be a decent amount of NIL money for a fan favorite like RyMCA. A degree from Northwestern, 2 degrees from Duke, some NIL money, the possibility of the opportunity to maybe compete for ACC and NCAA championships, and possibly a brief-to-long career of pro ball in Europe, Aussie, China, New Zealand, etc, and Mr Young could end up with a pretty awesome life just from basketball. To borrow a phrase: "Basketball been bery bery good to (Ryan)"
    Of course, Ryan may decide that he'd prefer to be absolute A1 top-dog at another school and foresake the various acoutrements of Duke...

Nick Horvath, Justin Robinson, Javin DeLaurier, Vrank the Tank, Josh Hairston, David McClure, those are some Duke big men that had 0 or marginal NBA opportunities that ended up playing overseas, and Ryan stat's are as good or better than those guys, although his "athleticism" may be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Don't think it works that way. The MMS program has it's own track that is highly different from the Daytime Program.

My guess is Ryan finds another discipline at Duke where he can get a 1-year masters.

Oops- Jason beat me to it
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    If we're making this the go-to "Ryan Young Discussion Thread", here's an interesting tidbit I found on Twitter today:

Duke's On-Off splits this season, adjusted for strength of opposition faced by each player, in terms of points per 100 possessions (http://EvanMiya.com).

Duke is playing 15 points per 100 possessions better when Ryan Young is on the floor, compared to when he's on the bench.
    While Ryan's defense isn't as pretty as others' (i.e. Dereck), and he certainly struggles against smaller teams in the pick and roll, the numbers suggest he isn't the defensive liability we've made him out to be. Some food for thought.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    If we're making this the go-to "Ryan Young Discussion Thread", here's an interesting tidbit I found on Twitter today:

While Ryan's defense isn't as pretty as others' (i.e. Dereck), and he certainly struggles against smaller teams in the pick and roll, the numbers suggest he isn't the defensive liability we've made him out to be. Some food for thought.
    I mean, it comes down to this. What would you rather have? Ryan's offense + Ryan's defense or Dereck's defense + Dereck's offense?

In the ACC, it's a no brainer. Gimme Ryan's excellent offense + meh defense any day of the week over Dereck's really good defense + non-existent offense.

Scheyer will not play Ryan and Dereck together (rightly so), so it's a choice he has to make. And I think, with Ryan playing the way he's playing, you gotta give Ryan the bulk of the minutes.

Potential is wonderful and all that, but we're officially in the second half of the regular season and results today matter more than waiting around for results tomorrow...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I mean, it comes down to this. What would you rather have? Ryan's offense + Ryan's defense or Dereck's defense + Dereck's offense?

In the ACC, it's a no brainer. Gimme Ryan's excellent offense + meh defense any day of the week over Dereck's really good defense + non-existent offense.

Scheyer will not play Ryan and Dereck together (rightly so), so it's a choice he has to make. And I think, with Ryan playing the way he's playing, you gotta give Ryan the bulk of the minutes.

Potential is wonderful and all that, but we're officially in the second half of the regular season and results today matter more than waiting around for results tomorrow...
    Yeah, I also wonder whether Dereck will benefit from playing a more situational/match-up driven role given who he is as a player right now. Will the freedom to play 5 minute spurts with an all-out focus on defense and rebounding, rather than the pressure to play prolonged minutes and have an offensive impact, free him up and let him play more naturally? It's not out of the question.

We've drawn a lot of comparisons between Dereck and Mark, especially as freshmen... and it's worth noting that Mark exploded at the end of his freshman year once the game slowed down for him. There's no reason to believe Dereck can't have a similar trajectory, especially given his loftier high school rating. Having Ryan on the squad is a luxury that will allow us to keep performing while Dereck develops.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!