Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Speaking of Slonina, he kept a fourth consecutive clean sheet for the USA U-20s as they advanced to the quarterfinals of the U-20 world championships with a 4-0 rout of New Zealand. They will face either Uruguay or Gambia in the quarterfinals on 6/4. Match will likely be on FS2.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Going to be interesting to see where a number of Americans end up. Pulisic appears to be surplus to requirements at Chelsea, but his £13 million annual salary will deter plenty of suitors. With Leeds relegated, Adams and McKennie may be available. If anyone with a lick of sense ends up in charge at Chelsea, Slonina will be playing in the Championship on loan next year (Sheffield Wednesday, maybe?)
    I read that Pulisic has been linked with Juve. No idea how real that is.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I read that Pulisic has been linked with Juve. No idea how real that is.
    At this stage in his career, Pulisic needs to play every week, and that’s not going to happen at a top club. IMO, he would best served by taking a big pay cut and going to someplace like Brighton, Villa, Rennes, Lille, or maybe Feyenoord.

At this stage in his career, Pulisic needs to play every week, and that’s not going to happen at a top club. IMO, he would best served by taking a big pay cut and going to someplace like Brighton, Villa, Rennes, Lille, or maybe Feyenoord.
    Or Sp*rs.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Or Sp*rs.
    Ugh!!!!!

Guess who's taking his talents to South Beach? It's Lionel Messi.

Lionel Messi to Inter Miami: MLS club set to sign Argentine superstar, beating Barcelona, Saudi Arabia

If this goes through he walks away from a reported $1.5 BILLION deal from the Saudis. (I think he will still be a brand ambassador).

Looks like it took a bunch of companies working together to get the money to sign him as MLS, Apple and Adidas will all pony up the dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Guess who's taking his talents to South Beach? It's Lionel Messi.

If this goes through he walks away from a reported $1.5 BILLION deal from the Saudis. (I think he will still be a brand ambassador).
    How’s his golf game?

Damn - KDB out of CL final.

Sucks for him, but the team won, so he gets the medal.

If you had “John Stones will be the best player in the final” on your Champions League Bingo card, be sure to make a bigger-than-usual estimated tax payment this week. You don’t want to get penalized.

They announced the seeding for next year’s Champions League group stage, and Feyenoord is the biggest winner. Man City’s win opened up a spot in Pot 1, and they got it.

Because of their historic terribleness, Newcastle and Union Berlin are in Pot 4. One of them is going to end up in a group of death.

Luton Town is my new favorite team for next year’s EPL season. Let’s go {has to check the internet} Hatters!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Luton Town is my new favorite team for next year’s EPL season. Let’s go {has to check the internet} Hatters!!!!
    Interestingly, a few Ted Lasso boards are comparing Luton Town's ascension to that of AFC Richmond. And the posters have adopted them (as in the past, Wrexham).

Good to root for the underdog, but I'm hoping that my Gunners build on our surprise season (no matter how disappointing the end) and continue to compete for the EPL championship.

COYG

If you had “John Stones will be the best player in the final” on your Champions League Bingo card, be sure to make a bigger-than-usual estimated tax payment this week. You don’t want to get penalized.
    Less surprising, given City's success, is that Stones made the UCL team of the year.

But according to the formation on the UEFA graphic, he made the UCL team of the year as a *midfielder* That blew my mind.

Final was excruciating to watch. Reminded me of Duke-Butler in 2010. Relief at the final whistle more than joy for those rooting for the winners.

Hell of a season for City -- and probably the end of this cycle for City. Bernardo, Laporte and Mahrez seem to be very likely to leave. Gundogan is rumored to be extending, but it's not final, I guess. Foden likely moving to midfield. Change is coming.

Nice story about how one Premier League club helps its academy grads who aren’t offered professional contracts “cash in” in another way. You can bet your last pound that every kid who goes down this route expects to be the next Jack Harrison, but even being the next James Belshaw is a win.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/35370...h-everton-help

Jude Bellingham to Real Madrid seems like pretty important news, especially since they seem to again be leading candidates for Kylian Mbappé. Mbappé says he won't re-sign for PSG next summer, so he is expected to be sold before PSG loses him on a free. Considering how many players - mostly attacking mids - are rumored to be leaving Man City, I have to believe they might be contenders for Mbappé, as well, although the looming FFP stuff may have something to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Jude Bellingham to Real Madrid seems like pretty important news, especially since they seem to again be leading candidates for Kylian Mbappé. Mbappé says he won't re-sign for PSG next summer, so he is expected to be sold before PSG loses him on a free. Considering how many players - mostly attacking mids - are rumored to be leaving Man City, I have to believe they might be contenders for Mbappé, as well, although the looming FFP stuff may have something to say about that.
    Couple of City related things:

(1) We'll see how much it means, but the word is that City plans to spend this summer. Last year they were net positive on transfer fees and can go negative this year, and if Silva, Mahrez and Laporte are sold, we'll have a pretty massive war chest to tap into. And the charges aren't going to deter them from doing anything. The UEFA charges didn't.

(2) I would be surprised if City was interested in Mbappe having landed Haaland. Camp Haaland reportedly had concerns about the two playing together when he was looking at his post-Dortmund landing spot.

(3) City's most likely losing Bernardo, Mahrez and Laporte right now. Foden's moving to MF. Kovacic is on the way. Gundogan is probably staying at this point, but we still need a younger MF, and at least one, if not two, right wings. Right now, we've got Alvarez and nothing else out there.

Non-City things:

(1) I expect Mbappe to end up at Real Madrid. Pretty scary -- although the defense hasn't been buttressed in anyway. Yet.

(2) Sounds like Declan Rice doesn't want to leave London, so he's probably headed to Arsenal. Sounds like it will drag on all summer to get agreement on the fee.

Gregg Berhalter set to return as United States national team coach - sources

Well this is slightly unexpected. I don’t dislike Berhalter but USMNT had an opportunity to make a bold move and chose more of the same. I have to think the job is unappealing from a finically standpoint which is keeping away more talented managers. That and/or the organization is a toxic mess. Other than those what’s not to like? The US is a host country for the World Cup with a talented if not imbalanced roster. They should have their pick of people.

To the pitch, the USNMT beat Mexico 3-0 last night in the CONCACAF Nations League. The US looked good but that might be a little deceptive. Mexico was bad, like really bad. By the time the game was called (a few minutes early) both teams had 9 man on the pitch. Canada will be up next in the finals.

Euro 2026 also kick off to fill a sports void for a few days. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Gregg Berhalter set to return as United States national team coach - sources

Well this is slightly unexpected. I don’t dislike Berhalter but USMNT had an opportunity to make a bold move and chose more of the same. I have to think the job is unappealing from a finically standpoint which is keeping away more talented managers. That and/or the organization is a toxic mess. Other than those what’s not to like? The US is a host country for the World Cup with a talented if not imbalanced roster. They should have their pick of people.

To the pitch, the USNMT beat Mexico 3-0 last night in the CONCACAF Nations League. The US looked good but that might be a little deceptive. Mexico was bad, like really bad. By the time the game was called (a few minutes early) both teams had 9 man on the pitch. Canada will be up next in the finals.

Euro 2026 also kick off to fill a sports void for a few days. Yeah!

Blergh. We could obviously do worse, and he got some public endorsements from players (not named Gio), but slinking back to Berhalter tells me that no top flight candidates were interested.

Well, that got out of hand quickly last night.